Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fishpond
    • By fishpond 25th May 19, 1:26 PM
    • 983Posts
    • 575Thanks
    fishpond
    stockmarket and the elections
    • 25th May 19, 1:26 PM
    stockmarket and the elections 25th May 19 at 1:26 PM
    Has anyone got an idea what may happen to the u.k stockmarket on Tues, assuming Nigel wins the european elections?
    Last edited by fishpond; 25-05-2019 at 6:01 PM.
    I am a LandLord,(under review) so there!
Page 2
    • MaxiRobriguez
    • By MaxiRobriguez 28th May 19, 11:56 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    MaxiRobriguez
    Could rise... could fall... could stay the same.

In response to the OP, the answer to a completely predictable election is that markets are unchanged.

Not a lot likely to change at the moment. A gamechanger would be a general election in which Boris or Farage ran on a no deal ticket but it's unlikely to happen as it would be suicide for the Tories at the moment.

We might get a second referendum now with Labour starting to move but even that isn't going to move UK markets much. There might be some selling but equally there might be some risk takers who think they can pick up some cheap assets before a remain vote which will boost markets.

Personally I prefer to ignore politics when investing. At the moment the UK is cheap compared to the rest of the world because investors are ignoring it, so why wouldn't I have a portion of my portfolio in it? There's an equal amount of risk of buying other more expensive markets and likewise in bonds or cash. That's what diversifying is for.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 28th May 19, 5:57 PM
    • 64,941 Posts
    • 57,259 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Personally I prefer to ignore politics when investing.
    Originally posted by MaxiRobriguez
    All factors need to be considered continually.
    “If the financial system has a defect, it is that it reflects and magnifies what we human beings are like. Money amplifies our tendency to overreact, to swing from exuberance when things are going well to deep depression when they go wrong. Booms and busts are products, at root, of our emotional volatility.”
    ― Niall Ferguson
    • lpgm
    • By lpgm 28th May 19, 10:17 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    lpgm
    All factors need to be considered continually.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    All of them? All the time? That's quite ambitious!
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 29th May 19, 5:32 AM
    • 15,979 Posts
    • 19,184 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    For the record
    FTSE 100 -0.12%
    FTSE 250 +0.41%
    FTSE All Share -0.03%

So, effectively all three happened, up down and stayed the same !
    And since all those changes are well within normal daily fluctuations you could make a case that nothing happened.
    First person to reply, funforeveryone, was bang on !
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 29-05-2019 at 5:35 AM.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

917Posts Today

6,028Users online

Martin's Twitter