Second Job Advice

Options
Hi I am new to the forum, but would like to ask some advice on getting a second job to pay off some debt so we can start a family. I am currently working full time in the day for 37k pa and i'm looking to take on an evening job to reduce some of our mortgage. Most of the part time local jobs are paying around £7.50 per hour and i will probably only be looking for 12 hours per week. I have been told i will be taxed heavily on my second job and this may make it unworthwile, can someone please tell me how much i will get taxed on this and the reasons behind the hike in tax on a second job surely the government would want to encourage people to have this kind of work ethic and be self sufficient?

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    The levels of tax are given on the HMRC site.

On your £37000 the standard deal is a tax free allowance of £11,500 this year, so assuming you don't have any special arrangements with HMRC (like a tax debt from earlier years), you don't start paying tax until your income exceeds £11,500. At which point you pay 20%.

You've obviously used your tax free allowance in job 1, so job 2 would be taxed on all your earnings. If your total earnings don't exceed £45k you will pay 20% tax on anything you earn in your 2nd job. You will be taxed at 40% on anything you earn (in total over the 2 jobs) over £45k. You will be taxed at 45% on anything you earn (in total over the 2 jobs) over £150k.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Everyone has a tax allowance.

Your tax allowance is divided into 12 parts and spread across your annual salary. You get 1/12th of your 'free' pay per month, otherwise you would have very inconsistent salary payments!

If you take on a second job, you have already applied your allowance. You will pay full tax on it, at whatever rate you have reached. There is no tax hike on second jobs, there is just no extra allowance - the money contributes towards your total income and is taxed accordingly.

If you did overtime at work you would expect to pay tax on it, right? Why do you think this is different?
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You get taxed the same on earnings in a second job as you would if you earned it on your first job.

The NI will be less(zero) untill you hit the lower limit then it will be more.
  • chrissyc1980
    Options
    Thank you everyone this was very helpful and has put my mind at rest much appreciated.

Chrissy
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If your on 37k per year, an extra few hours on minimum wage is like adding a cup of water to top up a swimming pool. Wouldn't bother.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As above, I'd consider if its worth it. Your current employer may not like it if its leaving you more tired/stressed - I've tried working all day then an evening, its not sustainable. Maybe if you worked a saturday or sunday, or some type of sales business that can tick along with minimal input but I wouldn't fancy committing to a 50hour+ week. I guess it depends how full on your main job is as well, I know there is no way I could commit mentally to an extra job, but my job is quite senior.

Might be better looking at what you could save from your outgoings.
  • Redalligator
    Options
    I'm in agreement with Ozzuk. 50 hour + week is a hard graft. You have to consider if the money is worth it. Also remember that the more hours you work the less time you will have on your hands to have a social life.

There are a couple of good ways to make some extra money from home. This website if full of great ideas.

As Ozzuk also said, take a look at reducing your outgoings.
    Are you eligible for a cheaper package on your mobile or broadband? Its worth inquiring, you would be surprised.
    Do you pay for services that you may not use? e.g. spotify, sky movies channel, play station plus subscriptions or gym memberships? Just naming a few but there may be things like that, that you pay for but do not use.
    Do you work with anyone who lives near you? can you car share or save fuel by cycling or walking to work if its within a reasonable distance.
    Do you go out for a few drinks on the weekend? why not reduce the amount of times you go out a month or have a drink in the house which is cheaper than going out.

You can make a quick buck by having a clear out of your house and selling anything of value on eBay or Facebook (free to list things on FB)
    If buying things like broadband or anything online, try using top cashback. I have so far been given £105 back from making purchases as i normally would.
    Have you got the best bank account for interest or any regular savings accounts to make your money work a little for you? some bank accounts offer high interest rates and a switching bonus, usually of £100.

These are all things i just thought of off the top of my head. There will be a lot more ways to make and save money on this website :) Hope this helps!!
  • Alarae
    Alarae Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I work full time and have a second job as well. My main job is as a tax accountant, so not physically taxing. My second job is as a cinema cashier.

I've been doing this since October, and to be honest it isn't hard for me at all. It helps that my second job is quite social so a lot of my evening is spent chatting with my colleagues/customers. It's a nice breather actually. Total hours is probably 52 hours a week.

What I don't condone is what I did from October to April... which was do three jobs at total hours hitting 72 a week. I was up at half 2, working from 4am- 8am, then 8:30am to 4:30pm, then 6pm - 11pm.. to do it all again the next day. I did those hours two days a week, with other days being the early and main job, or main and evening job.

Pretty sure the wrinkles under my eyes were caused by doing that for near 6 months. Some days I was sleeping for a maximum of two and a half hours... if I was lucky :o
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Alarae, you may have worked an excess of hours but you inspired me. I tried to get a Sainsbury early morning job but I couldn't get up so early and get to my F/T job on time. Anyway you got me thinking and now I do a full time job and teach an evening class and will also teach additional classes up until 2018. So thank you :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The trick with the hours is getting the balance right.

Many will be other things after a main job anyway, hobbies, gym, sport going out etc.

If a desk job with high mental activity/commitment an escape job that has a physical element could be beneficial, shut of and get a bit of exercise.

A job that is socially isolating, something that gives good people interactions...

jobs that break potentially less healthy activities, eg if you are going out Fi,Sat drinking person a bar job can fill the social need, cut down the drinking and put a bit of cash in the pocket, one night work may be enough to make the weekend cashflow neutral.

For the OP 12hr @ £7.50 will bring home £80pw(inc holiday pay).
    12hr on their normal pay rate would bring home £175(37.5hr week) £164(40hr wk) (more if the employer paid holiday on OT.)

I would be looking for at least one additional benefit of the extra job over the pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure