Paypal temporary authorisation on cancelled transaction

I ordered an item online recently and paid via PayPal, the purchase then didn't complete for various reasons and was cancelled.

The company concerned said that the PayPal transaction was only an authorisation and indeed when I look at my PayPal account it says:

This is a temporary authorisation to make sure your funding source will cover the payment. Your funding source will be charged when COMPANY NAME Ltd completes your order.

All of the above sounds fine BUT the funding source for my PayPal account is my Starling debit card and the full amount came off my card as soon as I started the transaction.

I'm hoping it will all resolve itself in a few days but I wondered if anyone else had come across this situation?

Comments

• northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I recently had a Paypal transaction on a purchase that did not complete. It sat there for around 2 weeks in that state, and the money had been taken from my account. I ended up contacting Paypal, who then reversed the transaction and paid the money back into my account.
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 924 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    OK thanks I'll give it a few days and then think about contacting PayPal
  • JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Had similar situation last week. Transaction refunded to Paypal account day after cancellation, was about four working days later it reached credit card account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure