PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Discipline

Options
I am trying to not spend money. The only thing which works is to leave my cards and cash at home. However I am petrified that if I do this when I go to London, I will get stuck and have no money to pay if something comes up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Back when I travelled to London frequently I always tucked a £20 note into my bra so that if the worst should happen I would at least have the fare home.

Mind, this was over 30 years ago. You might need a few more £20 notes now.

However, some money tucked into your underwear so that you would have to undress to get at it would give you time to give yourself a stern talking-to if you are tempted to spend.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some notes tucked at the back of your phone, inside the cover works for me.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One possibility would be to open a separate bank account - one with a debit card....keep a small amount in the account - say £50. Then, when you go to London you take ONLY this card with you...all other cards and unnecessary cash are left at home.....The card will have enough to get you home, but not enough to have a spending-spree.

If you're worried it might get stolen....you're a guy you can sew a small pocket into underpants for added safety....if your a lass, then the bra is usually a safe place to stash it.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    some money tucked into your underwear so that you would have to undress to get at it.

Gross.... although who knows the shopkeeper might give it to you free if you start undressing ;)
  • monnagran
    Options
    He certainly would if it was me doing an unseemly striptease. He may even throw in a few freebies to get rid of the unlovely sight.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mr S I think that would open another whole thread m'dear...

OP I agree with others- a £20 tucked somewhere safe will get you to somewhere you can use ur card in times of Ahhhh...

Good on ya for forward thinking x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't wear underwear so where am I supposed to put my spare £20
    note ??
  • monnagran
    Options
    Tape an envelope to your skin.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am trying to not spend money. The only thing which works is to leave my cards and cash at home. However I am petrified that if I do this when I go to London, I will get stuck and have no money to pay if something comes up. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Apple Pay? (Assuming that a) you carry a phone with you at all times, and b) it's Apple :D).

I think the best way of managing your spends is by setting yourself a target number of NSDs every month. Yes, it requires some advanced planning - but it also cuts out the impulse spending and gets stangely addictive!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, don't be petrified. I'm sure it really isn't that scary :D I travel from Leicester to St Pancras. Get in a taxi to my destination. Return to station in taxi and get on train back home.

I'm sure someone can help with whatever can go wrong with your journey and how to solve that. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure