Civil Service Interview

Options
I have an interview for an Administration Officer for the Ministry of Justice.
I'm out of practice with interviews. I know the competencies to study.
What I'd like to know is
1) Will I be asked about the situation I put on the application form or a new one
2) Will the questions be more specific 'tell me about a time you had to influence a senior manager' or more general 'tell me about how you improved a service'
3) What questions have caught you out in Civil Service competency based interviews?
I'd be really grateful for any input :T

Comments

• Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I interviewed for the Civil Service but a different branch. I suspect that everything is fairly similar though.

1. My interview involved mostly new questions but they actually DID ask me a few which were identical to the ones I submitted on the application form. I just extended on the answers really, but mainly repeated them.

2. Mine were more generic, but the beauty of competency questions is that, if you memorise multiple generic answers, you can adapt if asked specific questions.

3. None. I practiced beforehand and used the framework provided. They don't generally ask questions to try and "throw you"
  • quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks Les. Do you remember any of the actual questions you were asked?
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    quietheart wrote: »
    Many thanks Les. Do you remember any of the actual questions you were asked?

Not really I'm afraid, but they were all very general (nothing to try and "trick" you).

If you google search you should be able to find examples.
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I was an interviewer for MoJ a few years ago.

The questions will be based on what is in your application form unless the interviewers feel that you haven't hit the competencies very well with you examples (although it's unlikely that you would have got as far as interview if this was the case).

They will not try to throw you - as with any interview, if you are unsure what they are trying to get you to say then ask them.

The important thing to bear in mind is to make sure that your answers focus on what YOU did and why.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 July 2018 at 9:22PM
    Options
    quietheart wrote: »
    I have an interview for an Administration Officer for the Ministry of Justice.
    I'm out of practice with interviews. I know the competencies to study.
    What I'd like to know is
    1) Will I be asked about the situation I put on the application form or a new one
    2) Will the questions be more specific 'tell me about a time you had to influence a senior manager' or more general 'tell me about how you improved a service'
    3) What questions have caught you out in Civil Service competency based interviews?
    I'd be really grateful for any input :T
    I believe the MoJ is still using competences. You can find the AO competenceis online - that will show you what they're looking for.

Feel free to talk about any situation which best lets you demonstrate the competence. The question is normally fairly wide - use WHO or STAR as a framework. Don't spend too long talking about the context - get on and say what you did and what the result was. The more you can put the results into real business benefit the better - a 10% drop in complaints, or whatever.

There aren't any trick questions (or at least on any panel I've been on). Especially at AO level. But make sure that you've looked up the department online and know who the perm secretary and ministers are. And read the role description.

Feel free to take in some notes or examples of your work.

I always let people go on a tour of the building so they can see where they would be working - I try to find someone already in role at about the same grade to do the tour. But I'm probably unusual.

Hope it goes well.
  • crackerberry
    crackerberry Posts: 834 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2018 at 10:22AM
    Options
    If it's a competency based interview then they will only ask you questions based on the required competencies and nothing more, though they may ask you a few questions about your answers to each competencies to clarify, and usually will throw in an ice- breaker question at the start -e did you find us ok, have you applied to the Civil Service before or something general like that.

Look at the job spec in the advert as that will give you an idea of how they might word the competency question. Also look at the Civil Service competency framework and try to cover each one (six I think for AO) in each of your answers.

Yes, the questions are usually more specific. For "delivering a quality service" for example they may ask a question on the lines of "tell us when you delivered a great service to a deadline" or "when you dealt with a difficult customer". For "delivering at pace" it could simply be "tell us when you had to complete a project to a deadline" or "deal with conflicting priorities to a deadline". .

They'll say "this is a question about delivering at pace" and then ask the question.

1) Look at the job description, try to work out which part fit into which competency and then tailor your competency to suit.

2) Look at the competency framework and try to cover all of these in each competency answer.

3) If you can have more than one competency example for each one all the better. A few examples prepared may help if your main answer doesn't quite cover the way they word the question. If none of your examples fit the question asked don't panic- don't wing it with an answer off the top of your head, just use one of your prepared examples. You'll still get points and probably more points than from a "winged" answer.

4) Rehearse your answers as much as you can. You can take notes in and refer to them so don't be scared to do just that and check off you've covered all the points you wanted to in each answer. As long as you don't read from your answers verbatim they're fine with that.

5) The interviewers don't see the competency answers you used for the online application so you can use the same ones, or new ones - whichever you prefer.

6) Use STAR. Spend most time describing what you did and the results/outcome (ie increased productivity by 10%/reduced complaints by 10% - they like specifics like that)

You might want to have a look on Glass Door, specifically at the Civil Service interviews section. You might find some recently interviewed for AO have posted what specific questions they were asked. No guarantee you'd be asked the same ones but it might give you an indication of how they word questions to some of the competencies which might help you predict how they might word yours so you'll have an idea as to how to tailor your examples.

Lastly, don't worry. They aren't out to trick you. Other than the odd one or two questions about your examples once you've given each one they won't ask anything else. You'll go in, be asked an ice- breaker then straight into being asked the questions, then have a chance to ask them questions at the end (for your benefit only, the only thing that counts is your score for each competency question you're answered)
  • quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank-you, you lovely lot.
    It will really help if they introduce which competency they are asking about before the question.
    I'm just worried about going blank and like mentioned, the question not fitting my prepared answer!
    The posts are really reassuring. Thanks so much :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure