PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Pot of Tea - and a Stamp!

Cocketts
Cocketts Posts: 130 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 7 July 2018 at 9:44AM in Old style MoneySaving
I had my sister and her family visiting last weekend. In my efforts to reduce plastic usage Chez Lillibet, I have swapped tea bags for 'real tea'.
I was amused when my 25-year old niece (whose turn it was to make the cuppas) admitted that she didn't know how to make tea in a pot!!:rotfl:

I was then reminded of an incident about three weeks ago when my 22-year old daughter had to be told how to go the post office counter and ask for a first class stamp...... :eek:

These may not be 'important' skills to teach this generation but what else might they need to know - or do we assume they know?

Correctly pegging out the washing on the line springs to mind!

Lilli

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not sure my daughter would know how to write a cheque either:o
Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........

Comments

• Pulling the curtains in hot weather on the rooms currently with the sun on them and then swapping to the other side of the house as the sun moves round and opening windows on the shade side?

How cook basic meals from cheaper cuts of meat if you eat it.

How to keep a basic store cupboard and how to date mark things in it and rotate the stock so nothing goes out of date.

How to repair clothes and basics like sewing on a button, darning too and giving them the make do and mend mentality in the first place.

I'm sure there is an endless list, if I come up with anything else I'll add it on later xxx.
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Examples from recent months....

Sterilising baby bottles without an electric steriliser.
    Unbunging a sink without !!!8216;Mr Muscle!!!8217; or similar, never even heard of a plunger!
    Baking basic cakes without a recipe.
    Making a phone call without a mobile....
    Writing a cheque!

That!!!8217;ll do for now!
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Agree to all the above.Would like to add washing up instead of a dish washer,cooking in general,and mopping a floor with mop and bucket.Witnessed my 16 year old mopping the floor the other day!She just randomly jabbed the floor with a sopping mop,and she mops the floor at work in a cafe!
     :
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Doing the washing in the sink and wringing it out by hand. (was going to say "fair hands," but after doing this for a year they are very far from fair.) My son was astonished to see me doing this.

Washing machine on the horizon once I've moved house.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    vulpix wrote: »
    Agree to all the above.Would like to add washing up instead of a dish washer,cooking in general,and mopping a floor with mop and bucket.Witnessed my 16 year old mopping the floor the other day!She just randomly jabbed the floor with a sopping mop,and she mops the floor at work in a cafe!

To be fair, I think this has long been a skill that's been lacking :) About twenty years ago I worked in catering and a lot of our staff were 16-21 year olds doing a summer job. None of them knew how to mop a floor, we ended up running a training session as they'd literally dip the mop in the bucket and slop it onto the floor, which was a real safety hazard.

Re: tea leaves, this was also something I didn't know as a child. I once made my grandad a pot of tea with leaves and he ended up with a very 'chewy' cup of tea, as I just assumed that they dissolved in the water! And I also had to write my first cheque in nearly eight years the other day, amusingly I'm still only half-way through the only cheque book I've ever owned!
  • Cocketts
    Cocketts Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    DD probably wouldn't know what 'hospital corners' were either......
    Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It must be at least 15 years ago that I discovered that lots of kids were so used to being ferried round by their parents that they did not know how to work out a route (even a simple one) using public transport and couldn't read a timetable.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    I have mentioned previously on Old Style about a woman I saw buying a new pair of trainers for her lad....the reason for the new pair?...the lace had snapped on the old pair!!!!...The concept of buying new laces and relacing the old pair had not occurred to them!

I have seen younger relatives shocked speechless at the way in which both Mum and I could rustle up home baked scones warm and scrummy in less than half an hour (quicker than driving to Tescos, queueing up, and driving back!)

I used to teach...and saw teenagers unable to read an analogue clock....they COULD tell the time, but only in digital format...two teenage relatives were given watches for Christmas, and pointed out they never wore them...they rely on their phones for the time.

Cleaning shoes 'properly' is a skill modern society seems to lack....I remember knocking off the dirt, rubbing in the polish, leaving it to absorb into the leather , then a different brush to buff the shoes...and a cloth for the final polish...we had a proper shoe-cleaning kit for the job....today a quick wipe is all that is done.

Oh and with Summer Holidays almost here....one skill that teenagers (and younger) seem to lack is how to entertain themselves for more than 30 seconds!...and if there was a powercut and computers/games consoles were unavailable I am certain half my young relatives would die of boredom within the first half hour!

I KNOW I am no longer young....in my 50s....but so many of these 'basic' skills were taught at home...and at Brownies/Guides...we learned to make a proper pot of tea (and I served mine for my Brownie Hostess badge on a tray with a traycloth I had embroidered myself *smug!)...how to hand-wash your own socks (boy were those grass stains a job to get out by hand!)...sewing on a button (and ensuring it STAYED on in future!)
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    My son only moved out a couple of months ago. He had to call me to ask how to clean glass i.e. the bathroom mirror. I thought I had taught him everything.

There was a mop in the store cupboard in his flat. I asked if he wanted showing how to use it. No he preferred the old fashioned way. I can assure you there is not water on the floor when he is finished.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I taught my nephews the 'proper' way to hang washing hang tops from the bottom and bottoms from the top and my sister puts her washing on the line :rotfl:

Reading a washing label on clothes a couple of us were teaching the young guys in the office last week that those weird symbols meant something

changing a electric plug, although to be honest I'm not sure the last time i did one.

Reading a map
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure