Any suggestions on Gaming Monitor?

Options
echo48
echo48 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 10 December 2018 at 4:09AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Hey guys,

I already have a custom built Desktop rig, which could undoubtedly be better. However, I was thinking of purchasing a powerful Gaming Monitor, because since I also work in Visual Effects they also tend to be very useful for processing heavy software as well like Maya, Blender, Nuke, AE, and etc. So anybody have any suggestions on monitor builds? But I hope the price is not too expensive. Curious for any insight and thoughts from those who like to sink a lot of thought into these things.

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What processor and graphics card do you have in your PC, what sort of games do you play and what budget do you have in mind?

As a starting point I'd normally consider a 27in 1440p monitor as these offer a good balance of resolution and size as they offer more resolution than 1080p but can be run without scaling as some of the very high resolution displays require. There's a good choice on the market now with budget options, higher quality panels aimed photo/3D work or higher refresh rate versions for high fps gaming.

John
  • Icarus01
    Icarus01 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    I would also suggest an ultrawide (21:9 ratio) monitor if you do a lot of visual editing. They can be had for fairly cheap, but going towards a gaming variant (g/freesync/ high refresh rate/IPS) monitor will cost considerably more.

If HDR is your thing i'd wait until after Xmas for the true HDR monitors to start becoming available. There's a few available now but I don't think they meet the 1000 nit brightness level to get that real WOW factor.

Again, this all depends on your budget and current PC specs. If you post those we could be a bit more helpful.
  • Talukdar
    Talukdar Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Seems to me that you need a heavy duty monitor. You are looking for something not much expensive, so I am not sure about your budget. I am currently using ASUS VG245H. It is a good monitor I must say. I am not sure will it be able to meet up your requirements. You can get more info about this monitor https://www.displayninja.com/asus-vg245h-review/
    It will cost you less than $200. So I must say it is inexpensive.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 October 2018 at 11:38PM
    Options
    Your software wont care how "powerful" the monitor is.

Your software runs on the computer not on the monitor.

Talukdar you suggested a Gaming monitor that is only upto 75 Hz? And supplied with Freesync without knowing what video card they have?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Talukdar wrote: »
    Seems to me that you need a heavy duty monitor. You are looking for something not much expensive, so I am not sure about your budget. I am currently using ASUS VG245H. It is a good monitor I must say. I am not sure will it be able to meet up your requirements. You can get more info about this monitor https://www.displayninja.com/asus-vg245h-review/
    It will cost you less than $200. So I must say it is inexpensive.

This is a uk site so Im guessing as its a big purchase the OP wants to pay in pounds.

Yet Amazon have that Monitor for sale at £271 which is more than $200
  • TubbyDown
    Options
    A quick search on google shows that this is the best selling one ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q.

I have no idea about anything to do with PC gaming though, so i dont know if it's suitable or not!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    TubbyDown wrote: »
    A quick search on google shows that this is the best selling one ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q.

I have no idea about anything to do with PC gaming though, so i dont know if it's suitable or not!

6 months late but its the thought that counts right?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Noflufftech
    Options
    24" inches for gaming monitor
  • toxejep219
    Options
    Asus VG248QE monitor might be a good choice for you. It cost around 200 US dollars and also comes with various Gaming Oriented features. So you must check it out.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    This is a UK board not USA .Replying to a very old post one year plus .
    Spam arriving soon ??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure