Rainwater Harvester

Options

Comments

• martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If its providing water to everywhere other than one tap in the kitchen then I am struggling to understand why you feel the need to change it?

After all its working as designed
  • Masterhalifax
    Options
    The issue I find that it supplying water to the whole house, I!!!8217;m not comfortable washing in the water or brushing my teeth with it ect.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    The issue I find that it supplying water to the whole house, I!!!8217;m not comfortable washing in the water or brushing my teeth with it ect.

Why not? I'm sure it includes a filter in the system, I suspect filtered rain water will be better for your skin than tap water.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Why not? I'm sure it includes a filter in the system, I suspect filtered rain water will be better for your skin than tap water.

And use a glass of water from the kitchen tap to brush your teeth.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    And use a glass of water from the kitchen tap to brush your teeth.

Or just spit the water out, after all whenever your out in the rain it gets on your lips and then into your mouth.
  • Masterhalifax
    Options
    I understand all your points, just not sure the water from the roof, through the gutters ect would be filtered good enough within this particular system for me to trust there are no issues with it.

Understand the point about getting water from the main tap, but I don!!!8217;t want to trail to that tap every time I need !!!8216;clean water!!!8217;.

Would help if a contractor in my area (Cornwall) dealt with these systems, all that I don!!!8217;t ated are out of business or never reply.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    If your only concern is water from your bathroom tap the best solution is probably to run mains cold water to your bathroom.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or just spit the water out, after all whenever your out in the rain it gets on your lips and then into your mouth.

I'd suspect that the bacterial level in the water could be quite high especially if the water is stored so even spitting it out after brushing could cause an upset stomach. It might be worth getting it tested to verify the quality.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 June 2018 at 7:13PM
    Options
    Rain may fall on your lips, but the stuff that runs off the roof has all manner of crud in it, leaves, lichen, bird poo, insects and general pollution etc.

I can't say I'd be happy bathing, washing or cleaning my teeth with water from the roof that's been festering in a tank and only flitered or strained. I'd want it sterilised and purified.

It's OK for flushing the toilets and watering the garden but I wouldn't use it for anything else.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Likewise I wouldn't be happy to drink the water from these rainwater systems, although there are some systems marketed as suitable for drinking.

The UK Building Regulations specify rainwater as non-potable water. But if you get the water tested and fit the right equipment you can use your rainwater all over the house even for drinking.
    The UK Government's requirements are at http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si2000/20 003184.htm. It's quite a read.
    The WHO's recommendations are at http://www.who.int/water_sanitation _health/dwq/gdwq3rev/en/index.html
    In practice, it is vital to get water tested if the users or authorities want to be certain of its quality. There are testing companies all over Britain and one can identify them locally when required. Most council inspectors will want to see test results and a confirmation from a supplier that the equipment will handle whatever might be polluting the water.
    The most common pollutants and their remedies are as follows:
    • Bacteria - the most common pollutant of rainwater off the roof of a building is bird droppings and the bacteria that these carry. Ultra-violet filtration kills bacteria, but remember that the filter must be turned on 24/7 and there must be a way of warning the users that a bulb is failing or has failed. Double bulb UV filters are available, as are ones with suitable alarms. A cartridge filter prior to the UV filter ensures that bacteria do not get through the UV filter hiding behind a particle; that's what authorities might be concerned about. If the rainwater has been filtered and stored in an underground tank with rodent protection, calming device at the input and floating intake to the pump, then a second filter in line with the UV filter is not required because the water will be particle free (as with the Carat systems).
    • Chemicals - if the building is in the lee of an industrial zone then testing might show that there is a level of chemicals in the water. A carbon filter is necessary to absorb such chemicals.
    • Heavy metals, nitrates and nitrites - if tests show a presence of heavy metals, then redox alloy cartridges are needed.
    • Reverse osmosis removes everything. If a small quantity of high quality drinking water is required then a reverse osmosis plant can deliver small quantities (glass-fulls) with everything removed (including the taste).
    We know of nobody who extensively recommends the installation of equipment for adding chemicals to rainwater, but it's an option.
    The bulk of tests in the UK show the presence of minute quantities of bacteria (as would spring or well water) for which Ultra-Violet filtration is ideal. Our recommendation is to install the Carat tank with a UV filter, then have a test done after commissioning and the first couple of rains. The most popular UV filter from Rainwater Harvesting Ltd for use in the home are the Silverline UV-DS15 and UV-DS30 delivering 8 and 21 litres of clean water per minute for between 2 and 3 hundred pounds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure