Apostrophe problems

Comments

• fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Windows 7 on Google Chrome, still happening.
  • Ted_Bloke
    Ted_Bloke Posts: 24,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/26/tips-turn-off-ios-11-smart-punctuation-to-avoid-data-entry-problems

Done that. Seemed to work.

Have impression that it only works one time. I went back to the correct one letter in a post I posted this morning. After which the same punctuation rubbish came back, even though smart punctuation was switched off.

So looks like you still have to get your posts right first time and not need to correct them.
    Sorry my posts so long - not time write shorter ones.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 February 2018 at 6:44PM
    It may be ios (and anything else that puts in smart quotes and apostrophes) that is causing the problem, but it is all of us who are seeing the problem - it even happens sometimes when quoting un-mangled posts that the quotation's apostrophes are replaced by '!!!8217;' - which is the entity form '& #8217;' (actually right quote rather than apostophe) with the '& #' treated as invalid characters. [Extra spaces added to avoid mangling]
    The real problem is in the filtering software of the boards. Please get it fixed.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'm using Windows 10 and Chrome and have been having this problem with apostrophes for a week. The fix doesn't work for non-iOS devices.

Something has obviously happened with the MSE software somewhere along the line.
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • I can!!!8217;t any reference to this on other forums, this is a 100% MSE issue, so if anyone is listening in MSE world, could you please pull your finger out and fix it.
  • I can!!!8217;t any reference to this on other forums, this is a 100% MSE issue, so if anyone is listening in MSE world, could you please pull your finger out and fix it.

Very strange that MSE are not responding to requests for a fix to this silly problem.
    Are they all hiding or have they all been sacked for messing up the website ??
    :D:D:D
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    This official MSE first post from back in 2016 is showing the problem:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5535256

So it's not a user issue
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Test to see if I'm having this problem.
  • Windows 10 pro, Chrome.

Seeing a fair few weird numbers
    !!!8217;
    !!!56833;
    !!!55357;

I have just compared a post in both firefox and Chrome, numbers there in both
    The way things are going, soon we are all going to be victims of something or other.

Who will we blame then?
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 February 2018 at 2:33PM
    I have just compared a post in both firefox and Chrome, numbers there in both
    It's my belief that the forum software is changing the leading & and # of HTML entities for unicode characters (smart quotes, emojis, and most non-ASCII characters) into actual exclamation marks, which are seen, together with the numeric part of the entity, and closing semicolon, by everyone, in all browsers.
    As a test, can anyone see a heart here? >!!!9829;< I can't, even in code view.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family