Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018

Comments

• No Mooloo you don't need a loan for a family lawyer! Your son is an adult and needs to take responsibility for his own life.

Support him from the sidelines by all means but no financial support - you can't afford it!

CS
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mooloo wrote: »
    Meanwhile all this is going on DS is burying his head in the sand, his echo is try to manipulate and control him and is now telling me that her health visitor wants to deny him access to the children.
    Looks like I need a loan for a family lawyer. But DS is not getting back to me so I cannot help him even if I want to.

It would be very unusual for a health visitor to mention denying access to a childs father unless there were some serious safeguarding issues.

Either ex is just making it up or things have gone on that you are not aware of and she has disclosed this to the HV or she has told the HV things which are not true.

I dont think you need to rush in to getting a solicitor just yet, I believe ex has always caused issues and trys to manipulate DS so this could just be another tactic so he should wait and see and then review in say a month or so.

DS does not need a solicitor to get access to his children, he can apply to the courts himself and follow the process which includes mediation. If he is on a low enough income he will be exempt from the fees.
    I helped my brother get access to his children , he had no legal advice, we just followed the court process.

If the solicitor is for you to have access to your grandchildren I would not waste your money, unfortunately under English law grandparents have no rights to ask for access to grandchildren if the mother does not want access. Its cruel but until the law changes this is how it is.

I'm sure it will all come right in the end and next week this whole issue will have blown over.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Some solicitors will give you a free half hour or so. Your local CAB may well have a list.

It might be worth seeing if you can take advantage of this to get some basic information. But it is a short time so go armed with a list of questions you would like answering
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Do not, under any circumstances, start off the process for your son. He needs to do it himself, if needs be! If you start things off, he WILL expect you to see it through for him and will forever rely on you to sort things out for him.

Not only can you not afford it, but 1/ he is an adult and a father of 2 children and 2/he NEEDS to learn to be responsible and act like an adult. It's high time he realizes there are consequences to his actions, and things don't always go right. ENOUGH of holding his hand! If things go pear-shaped, it will be his own fault!

Advise as much as you want - but NO money, NO calling solicitors for him, NO contacting anyone for him. It's NOT your responsibility, no matter how much you want things to go well for him!

I am getting more than a little annoyed with him now, truth be told.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I am frustrated, Biggest is frustrated and he is not helping himself, and now tonight it appears he is still relying on the family from hell.
    I am in despair at him.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    For your own sanity, you need to take a step back. Your priorities are your dgd and you and your health.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    vandanfc wrote: »
    For your own sanity, you need to take a step back. Your priorities are your dgd and you and your health.

Agreed.
    Hard as it is :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Easier said than done!

I don't have a magic wand. I don't have a clue how to carry on being positive, supportive, subjective, loving, or any other such thing.

I don't have any spare money so I cannot give it even if I had wanted too.
    For over a year I have been telling him to get Doctors help for the depression, cut out smoking, especially any funny stuff. That his association with the family from hell will put him in the gutter.
    That he needs to get off his moral high ground and knuckle under and work for a living, grow up and be a Dad.
    Learn how to make his money/budget last and lee him and his home clean.
    I have done everything I can and more for the last 9 years since he got in with that crowd and I cannot think of anything else that I can do.

I am tired of it all.
    I am fed up to the back teeth of the grind.
    That's probably why I feel like running away and living in a remote village and just pottering and enjoying being creative etc.
    I don't have the energy for my dreams never mind the resources.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    He has to "want" to sort him self out though and until he makes that choice all you can do is sit back and wait.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    vandanfc wrote: »
    He has to "want" to sort him self out though and until he makes that choice all you can do is sit back and wait.

Sadly this is true.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure