PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Comments

• I'm in again!

Loads to go - doing up the house room by room starting with DS once we shuffle him back to school, and judging by the lack of floor space he has picked up all my bad habits!!

Currently pricing up all our old dvds so got to be over 100 items there! Putting any sale money towards new bathroom!

Make £10 a day June 103.04/300

Declutter 2018 in 2018 3/2018

• Can you put me down for 2018 also please. I am planning a major clear out and organise of the whole house. Hoping to do this in the first 2/3rds of the year, so will have to average about 10 items per day. Here we go!
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I managed to clear out 4 bags between Christmas and this weekend - it was actually very liberating.

My airing cupboard is a right mess, does any charity collect old faded king size duvet covers, or do homeless charities have a handy seamstress that will cut them down to singles?

Whilst not planning to cark it imminently, am trying to see things from dependents point of view, having been in that position I still have stuff that I couldn't get rid because parents/grandparents loved it, or I remember them using it. So the more I can clear from my life, the easier it will be for them.

PS. My CD collection will NOT be cleansed....Wurzels/Bay City Rollers party anyone?? :dance::dance:
  • Sally_A wrote: »
    My airing cupboard is a right mess, does any charity collect old faded king size duvet covers, or do homeless charities have a handy seamstress that will cut them down to singles?

Hi Sally A.If textiles,such as bedding,are not good enough for a charity to resell,alot/most charity shops take them to resell as textiles.Apparently they make money by selling to textile companies,so they are still benefitting.And cats and dogs homes will usually take old towels and duvets (not feather-filled:at least our local one won't take feathered,but do check)

And I remember the Bay City Rollers :o.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Sally_A wrote: »
    I managed to clear out 4 bags between Christmas and this weekend - it was actually very liberating.

Whilst not planning to cark it imminently, am trying to see things from dependents point of view, having been in that position I still have stuff that I couldn't get rid because parents/grandparents loved it, or I remember them using it. So the more I can clear from my life, the easier it will be for them.

PS. My CD collection will NOT be cleansed....Wurzels/Bay City Rollers party anyone?? :dance::dance:

Yes that's what I keep thinking too, I only have one adult child so if anything were to happen to us (though I'm not planning on popping off any time soon) pity him to clear out all our stuff.

I remember the Bay Cit Rollers too, Woody was my fave.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Thank you for setting up the thread again Sa1sysoo.
    I have been decluttering on and off for a few years (isn't it a constant battle when you have 4 kids??).
    As I type,after getting about 50 items out of the house today (listed on 2017 thread).My tally for 2017 was 2934 items out of the house,and 1181 out of the loft (I count it seperately because there is so much junk up there it motivates me having its own count).Total of 4115 items :j.And not one item has ever been missed :j:j.
    Bring on 2018 :).

• abbe89
    abbe89 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Hi all
    I'm only in a small flat, but I have a lot of clutter!
    Can I ask the rules of this challenge? Is it just things we sell or give away? Or does it also include things we use up eg toiletries, candles (I've got so many of these!)
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    We are quite minimalist, mostly due to the fact I hate housework but like tidy space, but we are downsizing this year so have to make some harsh choices and compromises so would love to tag along with everybody
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi Sa1sysoo ~ Can I join in again please? I didn't quite manage last years goal (I got to about 200ish :o) but really need to do it properly. My DD has already given me about 20 books that she no longer needs. I said I'd take a look through them and see what I can get rid of. In theory I should be able to just get rid of the lot but I can't do it. Baby steps :cool::rotfl:

Happy New Year to everyone _party_:beer:
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £76.03 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 December 2017 at 4:06AM
    abbe89 welcome to you,and everyone else,to the thread.
    The rules are............

THERE ARE NO RULES :j:j
    :D:D

Honestly,it iswhatever motivates you.
    And sometimes you might count differently to other times.
    For example,I do not count containers (jars/tins/punnets) that stuff comes in,only because I have always been prety good at letting go of these sort of things.On the other hand,alot of people look at a jar/tin/punnet,and say "Oh,better to keep that because it might be useful".In that case,if I was that person suddenly deciding to let these things go,I would definitely count.
    Another example,decluttering kids' toys....If I donate to charity,I count it as one game or toy.If I had a tin of dominoes,but one was missing :whistle:, so couldn't be donated,I would probably count the dominoes being chucked in the bin as 1,and the tin to recycling as another item,so count 2.Other people might count it as 27 dominoes,and 1 tin.All these answers are right-it is whatever keeps you motivated.
    It doesn't matter if you sell,donate,use or give away.I have previously done a combination,though this year I have avoided selling.I just want it all GONE!!Using candles and counting them is a great idea.
    Any more questions,just ask-we are a friendly bunch around here :).

Added: just another eg as I was getting ready for bed last just now:
    Last Christmas I saved a couple of tins that shortbread had come in.I thought they were pretty,and "might come in handy one day".Well,I think in the last year,I have probably used them about 3 times.If I were to suddenly decide that they are not worth keeping,I would count them.
    However,the couple of tins that contained shortbread that we received this Christmas,were recycled without a second thought,and not counted.

Everyone's rules are different.
    When I am decluttering paper,I sometimes count each inch in height as "1",sometimes if doing a filing cabinet or expanding folder,I count each "section" as 1,eg,6 bank statements=1,12 insurance papers is another 1.....

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family