SO SHOCKING thames water bill

Christinesu
Christinesu Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 1 August 2017 at 1:05PM in Water bills
This is so shocking!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Today I received my thames water bill, period is from march till July 2017, and the bill amount is £104,262 for only 6 months !! It is so ridiculous, this amount should be for over 2000 months water bills !!! Plus I have 'water sure plus' account, I should be entitle for 50% off from the original bill, so how can they bill me this unreasonable amount! Didn't they have anyone checking the bill before sending it out? :(:(:(:(

We have been using thames water for over 25 years. Their bill starts having problem since 2016 so since then we have been disputing our bill and never sorted, and till today they even made this huge mistake on the recent bill! I called them today and the guy said they made a mistake and will amend the bill and resend it to me.

I don't trust thames water now nor any meter they calculated, how can they made this mistake and just amend it and ask me to pay, they may make some mistakes latter too!

I live with my family and there are always 6 of us, after they made this huge mistake, I really hope they can set up the fixed monthly payment (according to my previous monthly bill, e.g. Work out my average bill from 2000 till 2015, and use it as my monthly payment), so it's more reasonable amount for me to pay. But I asked them before, they said not possible, and also cannot set up smart meter for me cos my area (north london) is not prioritise. Sign... I was forced to use their service and pay their mistaken bills, and they just cannot do anything about it!! :(:(:(:(:(

****** Is there anyone know if I can sue them for making this mistake, or ask them to wave this bill cos they should compensate me for the hug mistake they made and also over one year I spent on the telephone to dispute their previous bill?? ********

***** can they set up a fixed monthly payment for me in the future, cos their bills always have problems? *******
[/B]

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

Firstly computers make mistakes(when given wrong information) and it seems that Thames are going to re-bill you.

Whilst you state you can't get a 'smart meter' it would appear that you do have a normal water meter?? have you checked the readings on that meter? If so your bill will be based on those meter readings and if you pay by Direct Debit that bill total will be split into 12 or 10 monthly payments each year.

You might get a small goodwill payment for the mistake, but they are not going to waive bills.
  • Dear Cardew,

thank you for your reply! I really hope that they can make reasonable goodwill for this shocking mistake, cos me and family are really suffered from this a lots, we have been disputed their bill since 2016. My parents told me that if they had a heart attack, they could be die from seeing this bill!

We really hope that they can set up a monthly fixed payment for us, cos :
    ***** firstly we all think that something wrong with our property from 2016 - when I raised to thames water on 2016 that the bill was triple than the usual amount, and they also agreed so they sent 3 of their engineers who came over to check the property (on 2016), and all of them reported that there are some problems. But I think that they still don't know how to amend the bill (or don't want to amend the bill), so they still want me to ask my landlord to send someone to check the property, but that guy didn't find any problem, so thames water then said that cos there were no problem so they won't amend the previous bill, which I'm still disputing it! I don't understand why thames water didn't take three of their engineers' findings as account!

****** secondly! thames water made this huge mistake so how can I trust their computer which generate the bill,
    So thats why I really hope that they can set up a FIXED monthly payment for me (based on what I paid before in average).

Appreciate it if anyone who can share their similar experience as me, and get the fixed monthly payment as the result.

Thank you! :)
  • Cardew
    Assuming you have a meter?? your bills will depend on the amount of water you use.

If you have had a meter for some while, Thames should have a good idea of your annual consumption and will be able to set your Direct Debit fairly accurately.

If you get no satisfaction from Thames, contact the Consumer Council for Water https://www.ccwater.org.uk/
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TW have 15 million customers. Do you seriously think that someone reads each bill before it is sent out?
    Since the bill is so obviously erroneous (even to TW), I fail to see why you think you should get compo for mental anguish?
    Give us the basics: are you metered, and if so, what was your usage for the period in dispute? If you are on RV billing, what is the RV?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Dear Cardew

Thank you for your reply!

It's metered. I wish I could load my bill here for you to see, but there is no loading function.

I just received their amend bill. Original bill was £105221 and now amended to £1098, but compared to our previous bills, it is still too far much than what we paid and used before.

On the amended bill, it shows we total used 106 (m3) for the period from 23/03/2017 to 20/07/2017 (4 months). I never sent the reading to them, so do you think if they would made the wrong reading?

Kind regards

Christine
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 August 2017 at 4:46PM
    Is it an actual reading or an estimate - go and read the meter yourself to check. If it's incorrect then get the bill amended.

It's always a good idea to check your water meter youself just to make sure that you dont have a leak.

I check mine monthly and our normal usage is between 5 and 6cu.m/month and a couple of years ago it went up by 35cu.m in one month, signifying that there was a problem. There was a leak in the underground pipe.

Had I waited until the next official meter reading we would have lost around 400cu.m of water and undermined both our drive and the house foundations, not to mention the £2000 cost.

we pay £29 a month DD at the moment for around 70cu.m a year
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Dear Cardew

Thank you for your reply!

On the amended bill, it shows we total used 106 (m3) for the period from 23/03/2017 to 20/07/2017 (4 months). I never sent the reading to them, so do you think if they would made the wrong reading?

Kind regards

Christine

The average consumption in UK is approx 55 cubic metres(m3) per person per year.

As there are 6 people in your house, that is a total of 330m3 a year So 106m3 in 4 months is roughly average consumption.

You should be paying £2.08 for water/sewerage and £89 in fixed charges. So for 330m3 your bill will be approx £775.

Are the meter readings estimated or have they read the meter?
  • Cardew
    Post above is spam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business