PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm taking a supplement with D3, calcium, magnesium, K2, zinc and boron. Next DEXA scan I have, it will be interesting to see if it has helped stabilise my bone mass. They are actually doing a clinical research trial at Kings to see if K2 compares with bisphosphonates to help maintain bone density. It will be very interesting to see the results. From what I have read VitD by itself is not enough. It increases take up of calcium especially if supplemented with magnesium but calcium seeks the easiest berth which can be in the soft tissues i.e. the arteries rather than the skeleton. K2 seems to play a role in preventing that and directing the calcium out of the arteries and into the bones. Exciting if it is shown to work because it would also help to reduce atherosclerosis as well as preventing osteoporosis.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Now bearing in mind Kittie's comment re levels of Vitamin D and I'm certainly aware that the official advice will be for minimal levels.

Have hoicked out Vitamin D tablets and decided to take whatever I figure out as being generous dose. In the article specifically about Vit D in the latest "Vegan Food & Living" magazine it has a table saying "How much is too much?" and quotes 100mcg for people over 11. Right thinks me - I'll aim for taking, say, 50mcg supplement daily. That was followed by checking the bottle I have and it's measured in iu. It says its 1000iu.

Does anyone know what 1000iu is in mcg please?
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    mardatha wrote: »
    Doesn't always matter how good your diet is, health is a fragile precious thing and can go at any time. Maybe a lot of these older folk sit in front of the telly all day because they don't have the energy to get up and do anything - however much they want to. After 16 years with ME I know how that one feels and I wish I didn't.

I feel that if people eat junk food everyday for decades then it will effect them in later life,I have Graves' disease and I know what chronic fatigue feels like,there has been many times when I couldn't even go up stairs or move off the sofa.

I decided to cut out wheat and my muscle aches disappeared,I started to eat more veg and salad,cut out processed food and started eating nuts.I started to feel better within weeks.
    How people live their lives is upto them,I don't say anything about the food they eat its none of my business,I just find it sad that they are stuck inside and seem to of lost the will to enjoy life.
  • frosty wrote: »
    I feel that if people eat junk food everyday for decades then it will effect them in later life,I have Graves' disease and I know what chronic fatigue feels like,there has been many times when I couldn't even go up stairs or move off the sofa.

I decided to cut out wheat and my muscle aches disappeared,I started to eat more veg and salad,cut out processed food and started eating nuts.I started to feel better within weeks.
    How people live their lives is upto them,I don't say anything about the food they eat its none of my business,I just find it sad that they are stuck inside and seem to of lost the will to enjoy life.

This is the thing about a life on Earth. It's very frustrating just how much of our own lives is outside our control and "stuff happens" with the best will in the world. But - you have taken responsibility for trying to "find a way out" and it sounds as if you've made good progress with it. Awful to have restrictions as to what you can and cant eat - but you chose which option you personally were best able to live with out of the ones available on the table to you and I'm glad it's helped the health problems.:)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 May 2017 at 8:43AM
    :) I also have bad reactions to wheat, as I have discovered by (mostly) taking it out of my diet. When I allow myself to let it creep back in - and I really really like wheat but it doesn't like me - the joint aches re-appear and so does the weight gain.

I am much better off, in terms of energy and in terms of maintaining a steady weight loss, by eating a natural diet of mainly veggies with a small amount of fruit and un-processed fish and meat and eggs.

I lost 0.4 kg ovenight while I was curled up in bed for 8 hours happily processing a pan-fried steak and some steamed cauli florets. Today, I am having a big treat cooked brekkie, with a 4-egg omelette with veggies inside, served over a green salad. It will fuel the allotment session I've got planned and I probably won't eat anything more than an apple at lunch time.

I do feel that the massive amount of processed carp which has become the normal diet since the country came off rationed food is having, and going to have, extremely serious outcomes for millions of us.:(
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Many apologies for changing the subject but it's that time of year again and after yesterday's plot visit I have 13 insect bites (think I'm the preferred meal of choice as MrC never gets bitten) despite spraying myself with deet (HATE using it but it's effective usually).

Was wondering what prepper here would recommend?

And what they would recommend to stop the itching? Can't take antihistamine tablets as it conflicts with heart meds.

Last year's record was 43 bites in one day. Am thinking a hazmat suit might be the answer!!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :( Sorry to hear that. Would something as old-skool as a dab of calamine lotion help?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Stupidly hadn't thought of calamine. Thanks GQ. Off to hoe again, will call at the chemist on the way.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Capella, I tend to make sure I'm as covered up as possible even on very hot days (thin layers) and spray myself with @von skin so soft. Not much help on the itching though if I do get bitten.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    We had a problem with being bitten last year at camp. After searching online at home, I found neem oil.
    You can add it to ordinary oil , put it in shampoo, add it to shower gel....all sorts and it does help with keeping the mozzies etc away.
    It smells a bit odd but it was worth it to not be bitten to death.
    Its used in hot countries added to lamp oil to deter malaria mosquies and you can add it to your sprayer with water and wash up liq to deter insects on your plants....
    It comes as a liquid but thickens in winter (when you don't need it ) reliquifying in the warmer months.
    We took tiny bottles of it everywhere with us so if we did happen to get bitten there was something to dab on it straight away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure