Free Land Registry Property Alert Service - protect your house from property fraud

Comments

• m1kjm
    m1kjm Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Darkangel wrote: »
    This has also happened with my property. It's listed twice; as freehold and leasehold. My building is a new build, about 3-4 years old.

That would make sense if you own the property on a leasehold basis then someone owns the freehold.
  • Darkangel
    Darkangel Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    m1kjm wrote: »
    That would make sense if you own the property on a leasehold basis then someone owns the freehold.

It still lists my flat number on both entries though, so should I monitor both?

I've also put in my parents house and the house number is also listed twice; 81 and 81a. I tried to select 81 and it starts to monitor 81a instead.

I'm finding the whole thing a bit useless for me :/
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    It can't even find my house, only been built for over 40 years
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Farway wrote: »
    It can't even find my house, only been built for over 40 years

Quite possibly it's not registered if the area wasn't covered by the Land Registry when you acquired it.

Your property will be registered if you bought it or mortgaged it since 1998 - check the register if you’re unsure.
  • m1kjm
    Well it works! I've set up an alert for a property that I'm buying and I've had an email come through to notify me that there's been activity i.e. my search.
  • Lockie21
    Lockie21 Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am trying to add the property of my aunt to monitor but it is saying there is no property to monitor. The tenure is also saying unavailable but this property is freehold. Any ideas anyone??
  • m1kjm
    Lockie21 wrote: »
    I am trying to add the property of my aunt to monitor but it is saying there is no property to monitor. The tenure is also saying unavailable but this property is freehold. Any ideas anyone??

I would suggest it's unregistered. Did she buy it before registration was introduced?
  • Diez66
    Diez66 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, I see that this "Free Land Registry Property Alert Service" is not for Scotland.
    So, is there an equivalent service for Scotland, I have done a little looking but either I have missed it or it is not available.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Diez66 wrote: »
    Hi, I see that this "Free Land Registry Property Alert Service" is not for Scotland.
    So, is there an equivalent service for Scotland, I have done a little looking but either I have missed it or it is not available.

There were plans for one -
    https://beta.ros.gov.uk/about/news/2017/property-alert-system-update
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    On the subject of this service, wanted to say how well it works. I initially registered our house, plus my parents (with their permission).

When my dad died and the house eventually transferred to mum's sole ownership, it did indeed trigger a notification to let us know. Brilliant! Thanks Land Registry team.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure