Universal Credit (First Time claiming few questions)

Hi guys im new to this forum nice to meet you all!

I have a few questions about Universal Credit as I am considering making my first claim.

I have never claimed any kind of benefits before.

I am 19 and have recently started a new job where I am earning around £1250 a month before tax. This will be my first time moving out from home. I plan on moving out for the first time to privately rent with my partner I’ve been with for 2 years. My partner is NOT a citizen of the UK and is on a student visa with no supplement from our government. My partner does not work and tuition and rent is paid by her family back home.

We plan on moving to London as this is closer to my work and closer to her university, and the situation at my current home with my family is not good (alcoholic).

As far as I understand, due to my partner being an International Student Full Time I wont be able to make a joint claim as a couple. Therefore I should make a claim and register her as a non-dependant? I am not sure if I am correct so if somebody could confirm that would be great.

All I require is a supplement in order for us to pay rent. We will rent a one bedroom or studio apartment.

Also, when am i supposed to apply, as I do not want to go through all the effort of moving out only to realise that we actually can’t afford to rent comfortably without the benefit. Is there a way to apply in advance before moving out, so that the benefit is there by the time I pay the first months rent.

Many thanks

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    You won't get any benefits if you earn £1250 a month. As it's full time likely at that rate. What benefits do you think your entitled to?
  • 787ol
    787ol Posts: 7 Forumite
    Im working 28 hours a week, housing benefit under universal credit? Should be higher also as it is in london? Im not really sure. But I must be eligible for a housing benefit as most studio places in london are more than my monthly wage entirely.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    787ol wrote: »

As far as I understand, due to my partner being an International Student Full Time I wont be able to make a joint claim as a couple. Therefore I should make a claim and register her as a non-dependant? I am not sure if I am correct so if somebody could confirm that would be great.

Many thanks
    You won't be able to do this. See this link about non dependants.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/non-dependants
  • poppy12345
    Pop your details into this benefits calculator, it will tell you what you could claim if anything.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
  • 787ol
    I can!!!8217;t move anywhere cheaper as it would be too far from work thus making travel costs more than what the rent would be in london.
  • 787ol
    *The rent of outside london and travel costs combined*
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have to work more hours then. It is one of those situations where you are choosing to have a low paid job in an expensive area. Your partner will be paying some of the rent? I am not sure how you are going to find a landlord to let to you. Your partner's visa will require them to return to their home country at the end of their course whenever that will be?
  • 787ol
    Her visa will end after 3 years, I don!!!8217;t see the problem with renting? I just needed an anwser to my questions, do I make a joint application or do I list her as a co-tennant on my own application? And when must you make an application? As I will need the money in order to pay first months rent
  • poppy12345
    787ol wrote: »
    Her visa will end after 3 years, I don!!!8217;t see the problem with renting? I just needed an anwser to my questions, do I make a joint application or do I list her as a co-tennant on my own application? And when must you make an application? As I will need the money in order to pay first months rent
    Did you put all your details into the benefit calculator? You may not be able to claim anything because of your earnings.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why is there this presumption that UK Government has benefits that help people in all situations ?

Seems to me that a personal choice is being made here and there is no benefit entitlement. If there was a health issue or dependent children or an adult dependent with health conditions that was being cared for, then I could understand why benefit help would be required.

I would suggest that you increase your working hours so you earn more money and that combined with your partners money from their family, should help you live a basic life in a shared house or small studio apartment.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure