Creditor letter

Hi, after numerous back and forth correspondence with a creditor over the last 5 years regarding a mortgage repossession shortfall they have written to me stating they are going to take action in the next 60 days if nothing is sorted with payments.
One of the options mentioned is to "take legal action to obtain payments direct from your salary" - am I right in thinking this can only happen after a CCJ is obtained, payments are not made and so an attachment of earnings order is granted?

Second question - I'm in between a rock and a hard place with the shortfall as any insolvency or CCJ, etc is likely to cause me to lose my job as I work in financial services. The creditor doesn't know this currently so is it worth mentioning this to them? I could start making token payments which may or may not stop action for a while but I'm concerned that interest, etc will be added so the shortfall will never actually decrease and so I am just delaying the inevitable.

Thanks

Comments

• If your job depends on you not having a CCJ, then a) definitely don't tell them that and b) start making at least token payments.
  • s1985
    s1985 Posts: 17 Forumite
    If your job depends on you not having a CCJ, then a) definitely don't tell them that and b) start making at least token payments.

Cheers, what was your thinking behind answer a) as I was just thinking that this may not make sense to the creditor as with no job I have no money to pay anything. If a CCJ was on the cards I would may as well go bankrupt which would lead to the same outcome but with the debt written off. I have no assets.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi s1985

For the same reasons you give above, I too would suggest that, if anything, it makes more sense for you to make the creditor aware of the adverse effects any CCJ would end up having - both on you and on their ability to recoup any money from you. It wouldn't be rational for them to choose a course of action that would backfire on them.

First of all, though, I'd suggest that you investigate in more detail exactly what the effects of any court judgment/insolvency would be. "Financial services" is a very broad term and it doesn't automatically follow that no one working within that field is allowed any degree of financial difficulty. Are you employed or self-employed?

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • s1985
    Hi s1985

For the same reasons you give above, I too would suggest that, if anything, it makes more sense for you to make the creditor aware of the adverse effects any CCJ would end up having - both on you and on their ability to recoup any money from you. It wouldn't be rational for them to choose a course of action that would backfire on them.

First of all, though, I'd suggest that you investigate in more detail exactly what the effects of any court judgment/insolvency would be. "Financial services" is a very broad term and it doesn't automatically follow that no one working within that field is allowed any degree of financial difficulty. Are you employed or self-employed?

Dennis
    @natdebtline

Hi Dennis,
    I'm employed in Insurance, my employment contract doesn't allow it & it is likely my qualification membership would become void too. I can investigate this in more detail as you suggest though.

With token payments does a creditor typically charge interest on top of the balance basically negating any payments made?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    s1985 wrote: »
    With token payments does a creditor typically charge interest on top of the balance basically negating any payments made?

A mortgage shortfall is regarded as an unsecured debt.

The creditor cannot add further interest or charges, unless the original agreement allows them to do so.

You may want to check your paperwork to see what it says.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi again

Thanks for clarifying re: the employment situation - it's just worth knowing exactly what is/isn't at stake in your dealings with this creditor.

Where a mortgage shortfall is concerned, the debt will typically have "crystallised" i.e. frozen upon repossession and the subsequent sale. So no, I wouldn't normally expect to see a debt of this nature gathering any fresh interest now.

Have there been any indications in your correspondence with them that they are trying to add anything to the balance?

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Keep this in the back of your mind: if they start a court claim you can avoid a ccj with a Tomlin Order

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/debt-collection/tomlin-order.aspx

Mortgage shortfall debts are not usually pursued aggressively, and get the best (often <20%) full & final settlement deals because they are often large, and owed by non-homeowners who have multiple debts and general financial chaos, and who often go bankrupt.

I would not let them know that you are not in that group.

National Debtline have an impressive suite of letters relating to mortgage shortfalls, all linked to here

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/mortgage-shortfalls/mortgage-debt.aspx
  • s1985
    Hi again

Thanks for clarifying re: the employment situation - it's just worth knowing exactly what is/isn't at stake in your dealings with this creditor.

Where a mortgage shortfall is concerned, the debt will typically have "crystallised" i.e. frozen upon repossession and the subsequent sale. So no, I wouldn't normally expect to see a debt of this nature gathering any fresh interest now.

Have there been any indications in your correspondence with them that they are trying to add anything to the balance?

Dennis
    @natdebtline

Thanks, can't find anything to suggest that interest may be added as such but there was mention in one letter of fees & charges that may be added if they outsource the account to a debt collection agency.
  • s1985
    fatbelly wrote: »
    Keep this in the back of your mind: if they start a court claim you can avoid a ccj with a Tomlin Order

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/debt-collection/tomlin-order.aspx

Mortgage shortfall debts are not usually pursued aggressively, and get the best (often <20%) full & final settlement deals because they are often large, and owed by non-homeowners who have multiple debts and general financial chaos, and who often go bankrupt.

I would not let them know that you are not in that group.

National Debtline have an impressive suite of letters relating to mortgage shortfalls, all linked to here

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/mortgage-shortfalls/mortgage-debt.aspx

Thanks, interesting to know about tomlin orders. Hopefully it will not get to that stage.

I have tried a few times for f&f settlements but only 10%, I think I could get to 20% so I'm going to write to them with an offer of monthly payments (which will be low based on disposable income) or 20% and see what they say.
  • s1985
    sourcrates wrote: »
    A mortgage shortfall is regarded as an unsecured debt.

The creditor cannot add further interest or charges, unless the original agreement allows them to do so.

You may want to check your paperwork to see what it says.

Thanks, having checked the paperwork its not overly clear be honest. I did however find a letter just prior to repossession that stated that they reserve the right to charge interest on any shortfall, so presumably they feel that they can within the terms - although this hasn't happened to date (about 5.5 years now since the repossession)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure