Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind messages for DH. It has finally sunk in and he is excited to start next month.

Expensive week with £70 at the vets and some dog medicine to pick up on Monday will be an additional spend. Only the second time that the pooch has even had anything done at the vets in his 13 years. 3 birthdays needed cards and stamps but only 1 gift to buy for DFIL, he will probably want money.

Haircut today and DS and I will get DH a new job card and a new tie as a gift. His current job provides a company tie to be worn with a white shirt and at the new job he can wear anything but doesn't have any other ties.

£6.10 spent at the F&V stall near DH work yesterday and I will need a few SW friendly bits today. I haven't done well on SW this week, although I haven't gone mad, and if I lose anything I will be pleased.

New budget has been done :D but still need to agree everything with DH and work out our plan for the next 12 months, 3 years and 5 years.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • XSpender
    Options
    I was just about to leave the house this morning when the hairdressers rang to say my hairdresser was sick and my appointment had to be moved to next week. I can hardly see from under my fringe but I am sure I can cope for another week.

Because we didn't go into the city I didn't get DH gift and card but may wait until nearer the time he starts his new job.

We bought the film but were too late in to watch it so will cuddle up on the sofa tomorrow after DS has finished rugby training and watch it then.

I have stuck to SW, and made some gorgeous free soup for lunch, until tonight when I ate a small GF pizza and a glass of wine :eek:
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Well at least it was a small pizza and your stuck to one glass of wine!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • XSpender
    Options
    I haven't been focussed on SW over the last 2 weeks and had 2 meals out with work and a meal out for our 10th anniversary so put on a pound last week. I haven't stayed after weigh in for the last 2 weeks and I think this really helps me focus so DH and I are both going to stay tonight and get right back on it.

I am making the SW pasties for tea tonight. :)

Our CC spending has got a bit out of hand as DH has needed a few clothing items for his new job and I had to replace 2 work items that were beyond repair. Gutted as I loved the blue dress that has had to be binned :(

I sat one day this week and planned our budget and debt payoff over the next 12 months, allowing for Christmas and a couple of camping trips. We should be able to clear the debt, if we both get full bonuses, within 24 months. Allowing for the odd emergency and spend not accounted for I would be happy with 30 months. We would still be under 50 and should also be able to knock 2 years off our mortgage in that time by securing a lower rate next June and shortening the term by keeping the payment the same.

Until January things are going to be tough in the XSpender household as we cover Christmas and get back on an even keel. It has been tough this year as DH salary has effectively dropped £300-400 month and he has received no bonuses. Although his new job will pay an extra £750 ish a month plus quarterly bonuses he wont get a full wage in October due to starting 1 week in and I feel it will be 6 months before we feel the benefit of his increased income.

We have agreed that this year we will be having a quiet Christmas and not catering for anyone. We may go to a dinner on Christmas Eve with our good friends and their children but I am cutting back where I can on food, gifts and decorations.

The cost of the fuel we used on our 2 week holiday comes off my salary this month so I will be £300 down too :eek: I also have an increased childcare bill by £30/month from the end of September.

I have set our budget for the month for all food and spending but excluding bills and debt repayments at £1150. This includes food, booze, haircuts, swimming lessons, personal spends (DH has a night out arranged), miscellaneous, family fun (we have a ghost train booked for Halloween and we all need a costume although I am limiting mine to a pair of cats ears and some face paint ;)), prescriptions and a pre-booked garden treatment. Anything else is just going to have to wait and I have not allowed any extra for half term as apart from 2 days (if I get the time off agreed) DS will be at DPIL.

There is also an amount in there set aside for some new work shirts and ties for DH. His old job required a certain colour shirt and a company tie and he doesn't have any other coloured shirts or any other ties but the one he got for his interview. The shirts are on special offer and I have a 20% off sparks voucher which means that I can buy 3 shirts and 2 ties for half price and come in just under the £85 I had allowed. :D

I am going to make more of an effort to check in on here in October as I avoid posting when I know we are struggling a bit and posting helps keep me focussed and accountable.
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Really hoping dh gets on well with the new job x
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • XSpender
    Options
    Thank you apple.

DH was asked if he would like to leave today and he jumped at the chance!:D They didn't ask him until 5.45pm and he left at 5.50pm :rotfl: He will get paid up until the 4th and can still use his company car but will start his new job 1st of October.

This is great for him and great for our finances as we will get a full month of his new wage at the end of October. :j

I am already writing a list of the jobs he can do this week ;) as I am working from home all but 1 day and he distracts me terribly.

I lost 1.5lbs at SW (it must have been yesterdays run ;)) and DH put on a lb in 2 weeks. We are really going for it this week and aim to lose over half a stone between us this week. :eek:

£10 spent on Chinese food. We haven't had one in weeks and it was soooo nice. Also spent £6 on some beers for DH to celebrate the end of an era and some fat free greek yogurt.
  • XSpender
    Options
    No money spent today so far but will be ordering DH work shirts tonight as he is now starting his new job a week earlier than originally planned. M&S have 3 pairs of boys PJs in the sale for £17 and DS is short on them so will order those too. I wish I could buy the bottoms only as he never wears the tops.

Made a chicken dish tonight with Quark, first time I've used it, and it was delicious. DH and I still feel a bit hungry though and we had carrots, cabbage and new potatoes with it so shouldn't really. :o I will have one of the muller light coffee yogs in a bit.

We both took the dog out at lunchtime for 40 minutes so can tick the exercise box for today :)

Arranged for DS to spend a day at his new school later in the week.

Not much else to report, looooong work day tomorrow and jogging along until payday on Friday.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    jogging along until payday on Friday.

That should wear off a few more calories. ;)

I love the story of the quick exit from work! Great that he gets the whole of October, and time to do a few jobs at home first. I know it will be a quiet Christmas until the new wage kicks in properly, but having a job that suits you, and the decreased worry over money are both the sort of things that you couldn't buy as presents but which make a huge difference to the quality of life. You will still find nice things to do and you can make plans for an easier time come the New Year.

• XSpender
    edited 28 September 2017 at 1:06PM
    Options
    That should wear off a few more calories. ;)

:rotfl: I hope so :D

I didn't order DH work shirts and will now need to pop into M&S to pick them up as we have run out of time for a collect at store this week. This will be better as DH will be able to choose ties to go with them. I will still get the 20% and the 3 for 2 offers too :)

Stuck to SW during my 20 hour day yesterday :eek: apart from about 12 extra syns but I did have 7 less the day before and I was that knackered I am not going to worry about it.

This week we spent £10 on a Chinese and £55 on paint and materials for the wishy-washy coat that goes on fresh plaster for the hall, landing and stairs which DH and DFIL are painting today. They have nipped out now for proper emulsion for the ceilings so that will be to add on the spends as well. We will also need a vat of gloss for the 10 door frames, 1 window frame, foot high skirting boards and the picture rail and emulsion for the walls. I hate glossing :( Thank god we are replacing the doors or there would be 10 of them to paint as well!!

I swapped DH swimming lessons over in July as the old teacher was a nightmare. Although the classes are over twice the price of the old ones he has passed one grade already in 6 classes :) The teacher is off for 2 weeks which means I don't need to pay for the next lot of lessons until mid November instead of the last day of October so I have put that £70 towards the cost of the paint and will cover the rest from the £1150 budget I have set for October as this includes the £70 for swimming lessons. I hope that makes sense!

I am working from home today and am sat in my running gear as I am hoping to get out for a 30 min run at some point.

Pay day tomorrow :) In DH new job he will get paid 2-3 days earlier and get his payslip the day before which will be useful for budgeting as his will vary and mine is always the same. I will still stick to a new month beginning on the 1st rather than the 28th to keep YNAB right.

I have 3 full days away with work next week so I will put together a to do list for the weekend later. We shouldn't need much food as there are SW ready meals in the freezer for DH and I will either be catered for or can use my evening meal allowance for 2 nights. I don't have to eat in the hotel and usually use it to buy something to eat that night and a few non perishables to help the grocery budget ;) As long as its food work don't care. A colleague bought Chinese food once at a takeaway but couldn't get a VAT receipt to claim it back so paid for it himself and used his dinner allowance to buy 4 big tins of Christmas chocolates for home and they didn't bat an eyelid!!
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    I am working from home today and am sat in my running gear as I am hoping to get out for a 30 min run at some point.

Did you get your run?

You seem scarily industrious, and possibly worn out after that 20 hour day! Hope you can get some rest as well as a run.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport