How has comping changed in the last five years?

2»

Comments

• Many of the the competitions with 'apparently' large numbers of prizes are far less generous than they used to be.

The word "algorithms" seems to be creeping into the rules of competitions more and more. It is the promoters' way of drastically cutting down the number of prizes they have to award without giving you much of an explanation on how exactly they operate.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Many of the the competitions with 'apparently' large numbers of prizes are far less generous than they used to be.

The word "algorithms" seems to be creeping into the rules of competitions more and more. It is the promoters' way of drastically cutting down the number of prizes they have to award without giving you much of an explanation on how exactly they operate.

Ah Branston Beans

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5367078

although the walkers holiday letter thing which also required everything to be entered for all the prizes to be won received much more adverse publicity.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Many of the the competitions with 'apparently' large numbers of prizes are far less generous than they used to be.

I was just wondering (after looking in my freezer), that the McCain's Village Raffle has over £3 million quids worth of prizes advertised. But, I haven't heard of anybody winning anything on it.
    All my codes so far have been duds too.
    I remember when Heinzies Beanzies did that code comp in 2008. The prizes were brill, I won a camcorder from it, and I think everybody on here who played won at least a Play voucher.
    It was actually the reason why I joined this forum, to say thankyou to those* who posted the codes.
    *BTW, it's all you lot's fault that I am on here everyday too. Hooked on comping lol. :rotfl::T
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • mjm3346
    The village raffle from another thread
    In 2013 over 28 million bags of McCain Oven Chips were sold

Promotional packs for this were produced for 12 weeks so on those figures that's almost 6,500,000 codes but I believe sales have risen since then and the codes were available on lots of other products. But just taking what I suspect to be a very low figure of 6.5 million the odds on having a winning pack would be almost 230 to 1 (wouldn't surprise me if the odds were double that or higher)
  • I comped when unemployed for 4 months in 2011 and won some nice prizes. Nothing major but a Lucozade, Redbush tea, BFI and £200 in Love2Shop vouchers stand out.

6 years later I had 8 weeks of medical leave and got back into it. Since May 2017 I've had two small wins (A Royal Mail Survey prize draw £10 and a £50 Homebase voucher) The twitter and FB wins seems near impossible and there are lot more people dedicated to comping either full time or in their spare time.

I am back at work now so more casual but I thought it would be as easy as it was in 2011
  • I started comping about five or so years back and won some incredible prizes, hols and one from NOW mag posted by Toniq to win Xmas worth about £3600, I was surprised after coming back to comping that the prizes (except C2W) are so much smaller. It's still a great hobby and a fantastic community on here just a little less thrilling, don't you think?
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2017 at 4:18PM
    One thing that's changed considerably in the last 5 years is the blurring of the line between "judged" photo comps and the payments given on social media to so-called "brand ambassadors" (mummy bloggers, etc) to advertise products with the mandatory #Ad hashtag.

In other words, they're fake competitions – the prizes are miraculously awarded to the Instagrammer/Tweeter/Blogger instead of payment because they've got lots of followers and give the right kind of exposure to the brand. I would even argue that some of these "winners" are pre-selected before the comp has even begun.

There's a small close-knit cabal of comping queens, some of whom have spouses or relatives in the advertising industry and utilise their professional resources when producing their entries, who are scooping up a vast number of high value luxury prizes including cars and holidays. One of them seems to spend more time abroad on prize holidays than she does in the UK.

Needless to say this is all completely against the CAP code, as the companies aren't picking entries fairly based on their individual merit, and blatantly aren't using an independent judge as they should. But as we all know, the ASA is a complete joke. The companies seem to be wising up to this too; I've seen plenty of big well known companies completely ignoring the fundamentals of the CAP code. Whenever I tell them, they simply couldn't care less.

It's also disappointing to see a well known comping blogger now promoting a photo comp on her blog where the winner is selected by public vote, despite her well known criticism of this style of comp because the winner is always the person who persuades/pays enough people to vote for them. The reason she's promoting it is because the company is paying her to do so. The irony.
  • . . . . Yes there have been many comps recently where the prizes are won by friends and relatives.

There has also been a few where the prize has not even been awarded at all such as this one:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5447045

Despite apparently having been taken up by the A.S.A.
  • mjm3346
    edited 25 September 2017 at 10:31AM
    The "tougher" ASA were rubbish on a complaint I made re failure of a site to provide winner information or how to obtain it -

Complaint was made last year, in January I got
    We’re sorry that we’re taking a little longer to assess your complaint than we would have liked. We’ve experienced a significant number of complaints over the last month or so and are working our way through these. We’ll be in touch with you shortly to let you know whether or not your complaint will be investigated further.

Then 28/02 when they also asked for further info
    Thank you again for contacting the ASA and for your patience while we’ve been considering your complaint.

01/05 I emailed them for an update as it was 6 months since the original complaint and 2 months since they had been given more info (I had also received a reminder to complete a customer satisfaction survey!)

No reply to date and I haven't bothered chasing them any more (site now gives the details).
  • binna
    binna Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I started comping in 2009 and have dipped in and out of it over the years. I would definitely say I won more regularly and bigger prizes when I first started than over the last couple of years.
    I find entering competitions addictive though, which is why even after not winning for months despite entering 100's a day I carry on doing it (because the next one I enter I might just win....!)
    The best things in life are free - Janet and Luther:

2009: £1848 2010: £3870 2011: £1789
    2012: £3595 2013: £1280 2014: £762 2015: £2086
    2016: £130 2017: £1425 2021: £152
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business