PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My dear KM friends, please offer me absolution. I have found a carrier bag full of 'holiday clothes' (the ones that one can only wear when it is really hot!) stuffed in the bottom of the wardrobe. I had put them to one side inbetween CS trips and forgotten about them. Anyhoo, I had a quick check, pulled one garment out to keep and the rest are now safely in the car boot ready to drop off.
    Actually it feels good to have more stuff going :D

We are planning a trip out tomorrow, to visit an antiques emporium (not GQ's friend's unfortunately). I have a few ideas for presents for upcoming events so I can buy things that will NOT be staying HERE long!! I have to say, since discovering this thread and the KM philosophy I find it really easy to resist buying things so I am not worried about getting carried away :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 August 2017 at 6:59PM
    Large bag to go to the CS today - parked and struggled to the door only to find a.notice saying they are not accepting any donations today.........so I drove down the road and parked behind the local cat rescue charity and gave it to them instead! I'd sorted some photos ages ago and had put some in envelopes to go to the people concerned. 1 lot posted to my SiL, one lot delivered to a friend and one lot to be delivered tomorrow as I am passing. I'm polishing my halo ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well done ladies! Some good work going on!

DD2 ordered a new bed, it was delivered here and we then took it to hers and she helped me assemble it and load the car with her old one......so the trip to the tip this morning was the resulting cardboard and old bed frame. Someone stopped me to tell me I shouldn't be throwing someone so lovely away but I pointed out that the screw hole (internal gubbins you can't get to after it's been made) had rounded off meaning screws didn't do up and sort of "wedged" and that the mid bar had been bent in the move a few weeks ago which resulted in slats popping out as you moved.....it wasn't fit to rehome (or believe me I would have)....whilst I appreciate the lady in question was just trying to stop more recycling of good stuff, this wasn't good stuff.

Bit peeved with free cycle people too as 3 lots have promised to collect and not shown...the chairs in question will now be cut up for fire wood....can't waste anymore of my time rude people.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    2 bags to the CS yesterday, another 2 ready to go. Have done a light pruning of boos case and fitted all my cookery books onto 1 shelf:D More books to go and several novels to be read or discarded, need to be firm with myself.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    nice work being done on here :D always inspirational to read about other people getting on with it

Off to dgd 9 soon, with two large really useful boxes in the boot, full of fabric pieces and sewing bits.She is learning to sew and she is having what is in the boot and I get to have a bit ( quite a bit) more space. I have three `spare` very large cushions, my sofa was too full, dumped them in my study. Think I will take them plus spare covers and her mum can pick and choose. Nice fillers too, all feather. All making space for me and will help her at the same time

I went all day wood carving yesterday and have been enthused again and am planning to carve in my house during winter, only me, no sanding, so I get to clean up my own mess, no `her indoors` to tell me off as happens to male members of the group :D. I have hit reality about my beginner learning UFOs and a few will quietly disappear into the wood skip. I need to start and finish only those carvings that will give me joy. Green man, celtic spoon etc. No point plodding on with UFOs that make my stomach sink

Its starting as a lovely energetic day :T
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've been struggling to reach some storage areas in the laundry and thought I would buy a little step stool from Ike@. Anyway, I was putting some planters away in the cellar and saw a stool I used to have in the kitchen, it has been sanded and I'm in the middle of repainting it, it will do just fine.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've been struggling to reach some storage areas in the laundry and thought I would buy a little step stool from Ike@. Anyway, I was putting some planters away in the cellar and saw a stool I used to have in the kitchen, it has been sanded and I'm in the middle of repainting it, it will do just fine.

Definite win! :T

Box of books parcelled up for Z1ffit here and I have another pile of books and DVDS for Mus1cMagp1e, along with some old tech, once we have restored it to factory settings. DS3 also wants to go through his books, so we may end up with a couple more. I have about a further 2 dozen books to pass on to my mum/ my sister/ the CS. I am gradually whittling down my 'to be read' piles. Some are being read and enjoyed, some are being started and passed on after not enjoying the start, some are being looked at and I am acknowledging that I am unlikely to read them , so they can be released. I am never going to run out of books to read - we are a family of prolific readers, so there are always books being passed around - and there is a library and a charity shop next to each other and just over a mile away from my house, should I need them :) I have a corner run of bookcases/ shelves in the family room and I am very close to being able to let the middle/ corner one go. The remaining 2 can then go in one straight line (a clearer/ cleaner look for the room) - with the aim then of reducing it to one bookcase (with doors, so it can also house some things which aren't as good to look at as books, but which *do* need storage space) I am happy to get rid of the corner unit (I may try to sell it) and then the smaller, open set of shelves I will ultimately put in the garage on a temporary basis - I'm certain they will go in one of the small's rooms once they are reorganised (they currently have cabin beds with shelving underneath - DS2 at almost 12 is 'outgrowing' his - I may replace it with DD's current bed (wooden frame, standard height thing), which she is having replaced with a double (almost 20 and she has finally agreed to reorganise her room - but only because the mattress on her bed is most definitely past it and has got to the stage where springs stick up)

We are visiting the city where she (DD) goes to uni next week for a family day out - so we are taking advantage and also going to her student flat and taking with us some things (toaster, kettle, bedding, tinned food, cleaning stuff) - which will create some more space in the garage :T:j
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • I was just commenting on the charity shop thread and it made me think that I actually haven't set foot in one for ages. That is down to the fact that I have culled so much of the clutter in my home thanks to KM.:T
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :o Finally took down a large non-fiction book from the to-be-read shelf and the first thing after opening it was when the chazzer-shop receipt fell out.

I thought I'd had it a couple of years, turns out I bought it on 12.03.2013 and have been meaning to get around to it ever since. How embarrassing. I have now started on it, it's a bit of a tome and will take some time to get through, then it can go.

Just wished the parental units a happy holibobs with a firm instruction not to bring me anything back from the seaside, including edibles, and no postcards either. I want for nothing and just want them to get on with enjoying themselves.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Slinky wrote: »
    Thanks Floss, my accountant submitted it so I don't know why they didn't do/suggest this.

I've just driven to my nearest bank.......arggh, for whatever reason they no longer have stamps to stamp the paying in book counterfoil like our village bank did. No, they issue a paper receipt...... more clut. Will try and remember to check the account tomorrow to make sure it shows up, then force myself to trust the system and shred the piece of paper.

You could also take a photo of the cheque before you bank it, if you have a smartphone.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport