Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Comments

• Tino_2
    Tino_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kitty - if you go to the step by step guide, just above step 4 (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges#step4), the last paragraph of step 3 tells you what to do after receiving a rejection letter.

Hope that helps.
    Tino
  • Hi guys help needed!!!!!!

Ive moved home since starting my dispute with the bank back in 2007. I have looked high and low and i can not find my old letters that i sent and old bank statements that were went to me. I can only remeber a ball park figuire as to what i was wanting to claim. .... Can i send a letter back to the bank within the 8 week time frame saying that i will be taking it further and can i have my charges from 2001??? Obviously i need to do this so i can go further???? Please help!!!!!

I am having the exact same problem and can't find any record of my original claim. I have recieved a letter back from the bank on 15th Jan stating I have 8 weeks to reply or case will be closed, I have called them today and stated i would like to take this up with the Ombudsman but do not have the original claim letters...
    is it posssible to do anything about this... i am now a student and in great financial hardship and desperatly could do with the charges back
    Please can anyone help I have ref from the bank of my complaint but nothing else
  • loulou21 wrote: »
    I have ref from the bank of my complaint but nothing else

I have a letter too that holds a reference number to my claim, Martins template states you should include a list of charges again:mad: but I assume the bank has this on file under the said reference anyway.

I had all charges and previous templates saved to my P.C. but had a virus which wiped everything (which could have well come off this site as it was at the time of Martins warning about there being one on here!!!)

I have a hard copy of those charges worked out on the bank charges calculator but may not include them with the letter as the bank have had them already and hold the said reference number so they should be able to look at the correspondence we sent originally!
  • Thanks for the advice..
    I'm now at the stage of contacting the Ombudsman ...do I need to have original copies to send them or is a reference satisfactory???
  • I'm no longer in financial hardship, but 2004/2005 I was, but I didn't reclaim. Can a hardship claim be back dated?
  • Tino_2
    Tino_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chrisharri - see my response from natweststaffmember to a similar question:
    The early indications from the FOS is that they will not look at a closed account on current financial hardship grounds because the account is not causing hardship today. However on my signature is the lending code(please read chapter 9). I would contact your creditors(those who you owe money to) and see what help they can give.
    If you can show the bank you have taken all steps to try to reduce outgoings and to make arrangements with creditors and it is still not working then I cannot see any reason why the bank would not make an offer on that basis but this would be with your current account provider rather than one that is closed.
    Tino
  • Tino wrote: »
    Chrisharri - see my response from natweststaffmember to a similar question:

Thanks Tino, I will try to reclaim using the legal route then.
  • chrisharri wrote: »
    Thanks Tino, I will try to reclaim using the legal route then.

My thought is everyone should take this route anyway and forget the 'cap in hand routine'!

Every avenue of the law should be exhausted before we give up!
  • With regard to going to the ombudsman with the "hardship" approach. Where do we stand if we have now overcome the hardship, but were in hardship at the time of receiving extra charges etc? Is this still the route to take, or does the hardship have to be "current"?
  • I put my claim in back in 2007 - bank made me a silly offer of £200 when I was reclaiming well over £1500. After refusing this I suppose I had the same standard letter as everyone else and sat back and waited for a result. Last week i received a letter from Barclays saying after the recent judgement my case was now closed - is this right? is this the end of my fight because I am not really suffering hardship?:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback