Should I transfer my Help to Buy into a LISA?

Options
Hi everyone,

I have a Help To Buy ISA with Barclays that pays around 2% interest and has been running for the past 2 years. I have been doing some reading on here and was wondering whether I would be better off moving it over to a LISA?

From what I can see the interest rates are lower on the LISAs plus none of the big banks seem to offer them, however I also see that the savings allowance is higher, as is the threshold for the property value.

I am not planning to buy within the next year so that particular condition of the LISA is not a concern for me

My main question is would I lose anything by making the switch?

Appreciate any advice

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Apart from what you've already noted, another downside to the LISA is that should your plans change for whatever reason, withdrawals (before age 60) incur a 25% penalty if they're not used for a first-time property purchase.

Best bet would be to open a LISA anyway to get the 12-month clock ticking, fund it with a token quid, and if it still looks like a good idea towards the end of the tax year, shift up to £4K of your HTB money over at that stage, i.e. you can keep your options open for now.
  • thecrimson87
    Options
    Thanks, in terms of the bonus does it work about the same as I know the HTB is paid at the end and the LISA monthly? I just don't want to move the money and lose out overall.

Interest-wise Moneybox offer 1.4% compared to the 2.3% I am currently on with Barclays
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The higher LISA annual allowance is slightly offset by the time it would take to re-wrap the HTB ISA money into a LISA. It would take a few years to be ahead on how much you could have contributed if you had just continued with the HTB ISA. The main LISA advantage for a first time buyer is the higher property price limit outside London.

It's small but one other point of difference is that with a HTB ISA you get a bonus on the final balance including the accumulated interest compared to the LISA where the bonus is on the contribution only.

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport