Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 14th Jun 19, 9:31 PM
    • 8,571Posts
    • 18,572Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    It's arrived!
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:31 PM
    It's arrived! 14th Jun 19 at 9:31 PM
    My son's letter to apply for PIP has finally arrived. He is 21, and has been on an indefinite award since he was eight years old. I've been expecting it since he turned 16, and the brown envelope dropped through the letterbox yesterday.

I'm going to ring for the forms on Monday. I've already started to gather evidence of his needs in relation to the descriptors. I'm waiting for an updated EHCP, so I'll include that along with his prescription sheet, feeding plan from SALT, and other relevant information.

My only concern is that the GP and hospital do not list all of his diagnoses. They tend to list Down's Syndrome and four conditions that he was born with. Those conditions were repaired at birth, but left him with long term problems including dysphagia, abnormal peristalsis, and others. He also has hypermobility, which is not usually mentioned either, despite him needing a wheelchair as a result. He has a GP appointment in a couple of weeks, though, so I am going to discuss it with him then. I'm not sure which GP it will be, as we have a new doctor who replaced our now retired GP. Another doctor in the surgery cannot be described as helpful by any stretch of the imagination. The third doctor is dour, but accurate. None really know my son though. This should be fun!
Page 2
    • venison
    • By venison 27th Jun 19, 10:12 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 5,319 Thanks
    venison
    ^^ not sure about that one tbh.
    A week after my assessment i got a text saying the dwp had received the assessment so I phoned and asked them for a copy (PA4) was told that it would take about 2 weeks, so when it comes I should have an idea of the award, so i will get a little more time to prepare for an MR if required. Fingers crossed x x
    "For the many not the few"
    • _shel
    • By _shel 28th Jun 19, 4:05 AM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 4,320 Thanks
    _shel
    I think it's about finding those who may need help with the application process. So if they say yes, if they've not got an appointee, the DWP should offer help.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 28th Jun 19, 6:46 AM
    • 5,986 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    poppy12345
    A week after my assessment i got a text saying the dwp had received the assessment so I phoned and asked them for a copy (PA4) was told that it would take about 2 weeks, so when it comes I should have an idea of the award, so i will get a little more time to prepare for an MR if required. Fingers crossed x x
    Originally posted by venison
    You should receive it within a few days, if they sent it when you requested. Good luck and let us know what those recommendations are.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 28th Jun 19, 1:25 PM
    • 8,571 Posts
    • 18,572 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I think it's about finding those who may need help with the application process. So if they say yes, if they've not got an appointee, the DWP should offer help.
    Originally posted by _shel

Thank you. It's slightly odd, then, as I had made the phone call as my son's appointee, and they had checked the details before proceeding with the call. I suppose that it is standard script though.
    • venison
    • By venison 28th Jun 19, 4:37 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 5,319 Thanks
    venison
    You should receive it within a few days, if they sent it when you requested. Good luck and let us know what those recommendations are.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Will do.....
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 20th Aug 19, 7:10 PM
    • 8,571 Posts
    • 18,572 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    ANOTHER UPDATE:
    My son's forms didn't arrive, so I had to ring to ask about them. There was a problem with my name - one document had my first name and surname, but when I made the initial phone call, I was asked for my full name, which includes two middle names. It caused a delay in the forms being sent out. The four week time limit started the day that the forms were sent.

My son has had an increase in some of his problems connected with his conditions, so life has been even busier, especially as he is off for ten weeks over the summer period. Both he and my mum have had lots of appointments. I rang the DWP to request a two week extension, which was granted. I was also told that I could apply for another extension, but it would be a decision maker who would have to give the ok for that. I didn't really want any more time, and the date to be in was 18th August.

I completed the forms, added in examples, and included the evidence that I had. I noted that I am still waiting for the updated EHCP, but will forward it as soon as it has been completed. I also noted the worsening of my son's conditions and the fact that some of his medications are being increased or changed until the right combination is found. New meds have triggered bowel incontinence, although I am hoping that this will be resolved after seeing a new consultant next month. Obviously I am aware that this does not meet the timescales for PIP, but I considered it worth mentioning, espeially as my son was incontinent until the age of 16 (he was born with a rare bowel condition).

I sent the forms, signed for, last Wednesday. Tracking showed that they were received on Thursday. I have had a phone call today from the assessor. In the eleven minute call, I was asked whether my son had attended special school, whether I am his sole carer, and whether he requires full time care. There were also a few questions based on dressing, physio and walking, washing above the waist, and his current incontinence. Te assessor felt that I should ask for continence pads, but I explained that I am hoping it is a short term problem, and therefore hopefully will not need them.

The phone call lasted eleven minutes. I was then told that my son will not need a face to face assessment, as the assessor has enough information to write his report. I now have to wait to hear from them. I'll ring in a few days for a copy of the report, although I know that the decision will take longer.

A friend had a forty minute phone call, in far more depth, last year. Her son was awarded enhanced on both components for an ongoing period. I don't know anyone else in real life who has not had to attend a face to face.

Now, it's just a waiting game. I am hopeful that my son will continue to receive higher awards on both components, and will post the outcome when I receive a decision.

Thank you everyone for your ongoing support.

KFB x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Aug 19, 8:57 PM
    • 66,937 Posts
    • 302,915 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that you get a good result soon
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 4th Sep 19, 2:57 PM
    • 8,571 Posts
    • 18,572 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I'm still waiting for the decision letter, but the report indicates thirty points for daily living and 22 for mobility.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Sep 19, 4:46 PM
    • 66,937 Posts
    • 302,915 Thanks
    beanielou
    I'm still waiting for the decision letter, but the report indicates thirty points for daily living and 22 for mobility.
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    Hopefully they will go with that

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • venison
    • By venison 4th Sep 19, 8:13 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 5,319 Thanks
    venison
    Hopefully they will go with that
    Originally posted by beanielou
    they usually do
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 14th Sep 19, 4:59 PM
    • 8,571 Posts
    • 18,572 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    DECISION RECEIVED
    The DM went with the report, so my son has been awarded enhanced daily living and enhanced mobility, for ten years
    • _shel
    • By _shel 14th Sep 19, 5:09 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 4,320 Thanks
    _shel
    Brilliant I knew you'd be ok nice long award too
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 19, 5:40 PM
    • 66,937 Posts
    • 302,915 Thanks
    beanielou
    Fantastic news

***Keep plodding***
    • venison
    • By venison 15th Sep 19, 7:22 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 5,319 Thanks
    venison
    DECISION RECEIVED
    The DM went with the report, so my son has been awarded enhanced daily living and enhanced mobility, for ten years
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    Best news Ive heard today, one less thing for you to worry about and for ten years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

278Posts Today

3,192Users online

Martin's Twitter