Is sofology really that bad???

Options
A friend of mine has been looking for a sofa suite for ages and just found one she likes. However just done cursory internet review and the post sale review are awful - seem to be thosands of people with faulty sofas being delivered or sofas that become faulty soon after and then having months/ years of fights with sofology who don't return calls etc etc and then come out to deny there are any problems. Is this company really as bad as I have read and /or has anyone had any good experience? Most worrying is the frequent accusation that models delivered are of different construction to showroom models! Thanks.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even if some people have had a good experience, I would be very reluctant to buy from a company that has so many bad reviews.

If the real issue is that your friend needs credit to purchase a new sofa and feels that they will only be accepted for credit by a store, they might hunt around for a personal loan that they will be accepted for and buy from a retailer that doesn't offer credit.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • fairy2
    fairy2 Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    not it is not a credit issue at all she just found a style of sofa she liked in there that she has not found elsewhere.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    No not at all. Between myself and my late parents we've bought a few sofas from them.

I bought a Lucien sofa bed and cuddle chair from them in 2015. When we moved home last year it became apparent we needed another sofa as the room was much bigger so we went back and ordered the basic Lucien sofa.

Delivery both times was within the time scales. I'm actually surprised because sat here at the moment I couldn't tell you which was the older sofa, both look as good as the day they came in the house and have worn very well. The only way I can be sure is by trying to move them (the bed version is heavier).

I'd recommend them, though I suspect there will always be more posts slating them as people don't tend to crow about good experiences.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My son ordered two sofa,s from them,when delivered the stiching was not done correct,the manager/repair man came out to make good but could not,no worries they supplied two new sofa,s and let my son use the original ones till the new ones arrived.
    When the new sofa,s arrived they were no better so never came off the lorry and had the originals taken away at the same time,he got his money back and bought else where.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    My son ordered two sofa,s from them,when delivered the stiching was not done correct,the manager/repair man came out to make good but could not,no worries they supplied two new sofa,s and let my son use the original ones till the new ones arrived.
    When the new sofa,s arrived they were no better so never came off the lorry and had the originals taken away at the same time,he got his money back and bought else where.

Within his consumer rights then, good to know they adhere without issue.....
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I bought a lovely leather sofa from there just over 4 years ago.

Have had no issues whatsoever with it and it still looks new despite daily use
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Worth nothing that Sofology are now owned by DFS so make of that what you will.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    cono1717 wrote: »
    make of that what you will.

There's probly a sale on ??!
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    I bought a lovely leather sofa from there just over 4 years ago.

Have had no issues whatsoever with it and it still looks new despite daily use

Thing is, stories like ours are rarer because people don't post about good experiences.
  • Leiden
    Leiden Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The answer to your question is Yes, Sofology really are that bad! I'd advise your friend or anyone else thinking of buying from them to think very seriously. You could end up wasting an awful lot of money on a poor quality product, with very little chance of ever seeing your problem resolved or your money back.

If you do your research you'll see that there are literally hundreds and hundreds of reviews warning you not to buy from Sofology. If we'd done our research properly, we'd never have gone near them. Ignore the reviews on Trustpilot, they're based on the experience in store which is not where the problem lies. (You may wonder though why so many of these make a point of name-checking the staff and are from people who have never posted reviews on any other company).

Our problem, like so many others, is that we thought we were getting a high quality product and what we actually received was sub-standard. We particularly wanted a suite with firm cushions, offering good support. The online description goes to great lengths to describe how comfortable and supportive it is, the salesman assured us of the same.

Instead, having spent nearly £2,300 on a 3 seater sofa and armchair we had cushions that half collapsed underneath you. After sitting for about 5 or 10 minutes, you start to feel uncomfortable and need to change position. The armchair was awful, the sofa was not so bad if you were lying on it but again really soft in a sitting position. Not what we'd expected or ordered.

The next problem you're going to experience is with Sofology's post-sales "support" and customer service. If you report a problem to the customer services team, they'll give you another number to get a "technician" to come out to you. We had to wait over 3 weeks for an appointment. The technician will basically make a visual inspection and if there isn't actually a part of it falling off or sticking out, they'll tell you there's "no fault". It's not their job to highlight shortfalls in the materials used.

You then go back to customer services who'll repeat what's in the technicians report and state that there's nothing further they can do. You insist that you want to take the matter further and you'll be told, anyone else is going to tell you exactly the same thing. If you persist however, you'll be referred to their "escalations team" also referred to as "priority support".

They'll explain that they can arrange for an independent technician to come out and do a 2nd inspection. It will be a longer, detailed inspection (up to 2 hours), they won't simply sit on the cushions, they'll test the pressure at different points, it sounds like it will be really thorough and scientific. In fact it's anything but.

Although this 2nd technician is employed by a company called Castellan, they're not truly independent as they're contracted by Sofology to do the work. The actual inspection lasted about 20 minutes, again it consisted of a visual inspection plus the technician bouncing up and down a couple of times. He said, yes it is soft but "there's no fault".

When I asked about the foam they use in the cushions (you couldn't access this on ours) he said they have different types but basically it's like the type of foam you might have in your bathroom, say! This was our issue, despite it being a nice looking suite, the interior of the cushions was of such poor quality that it offered no support, was uncomfortable to sit on and caused the leather seating to "puddle" or gather.

We went back to the "priority support" team. At this point, as far as they were concerned, they'd ticked all the boxes they needed to. It was a completely obstructive conversation, they weren't prepared to engage in any discussion, if you're not happy, go to the furniture ombudsman! To be aware, you'e dealing with a call centre here and speaking to a poorly paid call centre operative who is not going to deviate from their script in any way whatsoever. You can't even speak to a manager.

That, for us, has been the Sofology experience to date. Going back to the original poster, if your friend, having read this and the hundreds of other reviews available, is still thinking of buying from Sofology then all I can say is you were warned. I don't think this company is ever going to change, their reputation is increasingly toxic and you'd hope at some point that enough word will get round and people will stop buying from them.

I can't speak for DfS but they absolutely part of the same group. If you look at the list of Sofology's directors on Companies House, you'll see that a couple are also DfS directors so the same warning applies - AVOID AT ALL COST.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback