Should I refuse to pay service charge and leave cash tips?

123457»

Comments

• I always request that the service charge is removed and always choose if and how much I pay as a tip. If I ate somewhere and they added a mandatory tip I would never eat there again and voice my displeasure upon leaving.
    I personally hate the idea of having to tip for somebody who is possible on a low wage. If they want to earn more they should get a better job, if they need qualification to do what they want they should go and do it, otherwise put up and shut up. I feel I should be paid more in my job but I certainly wouldn't request tips from anybody.
    Sometimes I feel guilted into leaving something but I rarely carry any cash at all, maybe a pound or something but if anything goes wrong with the meal I don't mind leaving nothing.
    I'm really put off going anywhere where the tip system is in full force such as America and just hate the idea of it full stop.
    This is just wrong, wrong, wrong. We aren't all able to do the 'get a better paid job' thing. since I left school I've done part-time courses financed by my employer, quit work and gone back to college full-time for a year, done self-financed evening classes and used my business to pay for job-specific training, all to get me to a well-paid and tolerably satisfying position in life. But I know that first of all there aren't enough well-paid jobs to go around, even for the well educated. I'm sure we've all met university graduates who end up taking badly paid jobs outside their chosen career paths. Also, for some, working as a waiter/waitress is the furthest that their abilities will take them. As regards tipping, I tip what I want when I want. Nobody guilts me into anything.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If they want to earn more they should get a better job, if they need qualification to do what they want they should go and do it, otherwise put up and shut up.

Then who would bring you your food (or clean your office, or pick up your bins, or sell you stuff, or look after your elderly relatives)?
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,124
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I ate out this evening, and when I paid the bill I asked if tips went to the staff, and the person said yes, so I included one (on my credit card).
  • I usually leave a tip but never as much as 12.5%. To be compelled to pay 12.5% as a service charge is completely unrealistic for me. I will look out for this in the future.
    On another note and as mentioned in another reply. When I was in Germany in a small restaurant / bar, The waiter was quite confused when I left a large tip as they normally only get a couple of Euros.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    prowla wrote: »
    I ate out this evening, and when I paid the bill I asked if tips went to the staff, and the person said yes, so I included one (on my credit card).

In many chains the staff are instructed to tell you that, even though in reality the tips are used to pay wages or perhaps meet the cost of free meals on duty...
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,124
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    In many chains the staff are instructed to tell you that, even though in reality the tips are used to pay wages or perhaps meet the cost of free meals on duty...
    The person seemed to have his own mind, and the staff were cheerful and helpful.
  • I try never to eat at establishments that decide not only that I should pay a tip but how much.
    I am already paying significantly more than the value of the food, fuel and frequently meagre wages, so object to being made to pay even more. If however the quality of the food and/ or service is beyond expectation I will happily reward with an extra amount.
    This week we ate at a training establishment and were more than happy to give a voluntary gratuity especially as it stated all of the gratuity would be used to take the first year students on a trip. Both food and service were of a really high standard.
    To answer the dilemma; if it is clearly stated before you order that there is an obligatory service charge then morally you should pay as that is the contract you implicitly entered into. You could register your disapproval of the practice; just easier not to use the establishment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure