Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 29th Oct 18, 9:20 AM
    • 4,527Posts
    • 79,154Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming for Santa - Slimming World support thread 2018
    • 29th Oct 18, 9:20 AM
    Slimming for Santa - Slimming World support thread 2018 29th Oct 18 at 9:20 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you, go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list; so that's pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra choice and one Healthy Extra choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
Page 44
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 5th Dec 18, 9:57 PM
    • 5,736 Posts
    • 42,361 Thanks
    joedenise
    I often do baked oats. Much prefer them to overnight oats which I find a bit claggy.

There are loads of different flavours you can make with the baked oats by just altering the essence you use. One of my favourites is almond. I add a few drops of almond essence to the basic mix (oats, egg, natural yoghurt whisked together) and then divide into 2 muffins (I use silicon ones) and sprinkle 5g of flaked almonds (between them both) over the top (1.5 syns). Just add some chopped fruit on the plate with extra yoghurt or quark.

I've got several different essences including black cherry, gin & tonic, apple crumble etc. I bought them from an online company (but can't remember which one at the moment). They last ages as you only need a few drops each time.

Another alternative instead of the essences is to use Skinny Syrups which are Free to flavour them.

If you want some more ideas for flavours have a look at www.slimmingeats.com.

Give them a go and let us know what you think.

Denise
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 6th Dec 18, 9:15 AM
    • 3,853 Posts
    • 17,000 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    I like the idea of the baked oats Denise, but can only have at weekend really, as I would prefer them warm. Is there a similar option to the bake a cake in a mug in microwave that you are aware of, or do I just experiment?

Breakfasts are the most difficult I find, so my "treat" breakfast at work will be scrambled eggs on toast, or turkey rashers roll, as they can be done in the microwave. I can't stomach the thought of food before leaving for work!
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 6th Dec 18, 1:02 PM
    • 5,736 Posts
    • 42,361 Thanks
    joedenise
    GTQ Not aware of being able to do cake like things with oats in the microwave. Maybe it might be worth experimenting a bit. You could do flavoured porridge in the microwave, not the same but at least it would be filling.

Not sure if you go to group but if you do there is a section under "Useful Features" on the website where they have meals in a microwave - not sure if there might be something of use in that. Worth a look. You can certainly do a sort of omelette in a mug!

Went to WI this morning and was happy to see a small loss of 0.5lb! Damage limitation obviously worked from Monday to today!

Today's plan:

B - fruit - after WI
    L - spinach, sweet potato & feta parcel (9.5 syns for 2); sweet jacket potato
    D - bean cassoulet & mash (cassoulet from freezer - recipe from website but used red wine stock pot rather than wine as didn't have any open when I made it!)

HEA - milk as usual
    HEB - not decided but may have a couple of hifi or some toast this evening
    Syns - feta 3.5; filo pastry 6

Denise
    Last edited by joedenise; 06-12-2018 at 1:21 PM.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 6th Dec 18, 1:18 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 4,083 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Hello All
    Sorry have been awol for a bit went massively off plan the last few weeks especially over my birthday, put on 6lbs but managed to loose 6lbs this week so back where I started again, bit of a relief.
    Will try to stay on plan as much as possible but lots of family visits and days out in the run up to Christmas and then the actual Christmas, but I have decided to not go crazy, but still enjoy it, then come January to start a fresh without guilt!
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 18, 2:03 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,964 Thanks
    beanielou
    Wonder what weigh in will bring tonight?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 6th Dec 18, 2:51 PM
    • 5,736 Posts
    • 42,361 Thanks
    joedenise
    Good luck Beanie tonight. You'll be fine - you've been plodding all week!

Denise
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 18, 2:56 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,964 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good luck Beanie tonight. You'll be fine - you've been plodding all week!

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Thanks
    Always plodding one way or another

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 6th Dec 18, 4:31 PM
    • 3,853 Posts
    • 17,000 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Well, as I have synned, I am expecting a gain
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Dec 18, 6:30 PM
    • 18,893 Posts
    • 112,750 Thanks
    maman

What matters is that you go and then you'll know exactly where you stand. Far better than worrying about it IMO.

Well done on your loss denise. Reining back obviously worked.

Good to see you sirens. You've done well to turn it around.

I quite like the cold overnight oats for a change gtq. They can be a bit claggy but much more filling than a measly portion of bran flakes. I use the Aldi red fruits too with a small amount of sweetener and sometimes a few drops of almond essence.

I'm drawing a line under what I've had in the past 24 hours. DH and I had a really good time but some of the options weren't SW friendly. Mainly white bread but I enjoyed all the extra syns except for an OK little pudding which I could have done without but as it was a set menu I ate it. I suppose I could have fed it to DH but too late now.

Bolognese from the freezer tonight so all SW friendly. I think I'll grate a few syns of Parmesan as a few more won't make that much difference.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 6th Dec 18, 7:43 PM
    • 5,736 Posts
    • 42,361 Thanks
    joedenise
    I always think a little sprinkle of parmasan makes a bolognaise. You don't need much so pretty low syn. Definitely worth a syn or 2!

Denise
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 6th Dec 18, 8:15 PM
    • 53,735 Posts
    • 634,016 Thanks
    bubbs
    I like the idea of the baked oats Denise, but can only have at weekend really, as I would prefer them warm. Is there a similar option to the bake a cake in a mug in microwave that you are aware of, or do I just experiment?

Breakfasts are the most difficult I find, so my "treat" breakfast at work will be scrambled eggs on toast, or turkey rashers roll, as they can be done in the microwave. I can't stomach the thought of food before leaving for work!
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    You can make a cake in a mug i will see if i can find recipe for you, someone that posts on my group does it
    I dont find overnight oats claggy at all but then i put fruit, oats, yoghurt and repeat 3 times topping off with fruit and because it frozen, i leave out overnight , pop in my bag and toddle off to work then have it in the car once i have dropped dh off
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 3 1/2 lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 6th Dec 18, 8:20 PM
    • 53,735 Posts
    • 634,016 Thanks
    bubbs
    Sorry evening all
    Good luck Beanie
    Well done to the losers
    Mug Cake
    Mug Cake
    Syn Free (depending on what you add)

Ingredients:

40g porridge oats - blitzed (or 20g if you only want to use half your HEXB)
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons of fat free yoghurt
    1 teaspoon of flavouring of your choice
    Pinch of baking powder

Method:

Blitz porridge oats and mix well with all other ingredients in a mug.

Pop in the microwave for 2-3 minutes depending on your microwave power.

Turn mug upside down onto a plate and serve with your choice of toppings.
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 6th Dec 18, 9:21 PM
    • 3,853 Posts
    • 17,000 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Sorry evening all
    Good luck Beanie
    Well done to the losers
    Mug Cake
    Mug Cake
    Syn Free (depending on what you add)

Ingredients:

40g porridge oats - blitzed (or 20g if you only want to use half your HEXB)
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons of fat free yoghurt
    1 teaspoon of flavouring of your choice
    Pinch of baking powder

Method:

Blitz porridge oats and mix well with all other ingredients in a mug.

Pop in the microwave for 2-3 minutes depending on your microwave power.

Turn mug upside down onto a plate and serve with your choice of toppings.
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Thanks for that Bubbs, will be something different to try.

Well WI was more than a bit on the quiet side. There is a young girl lacking in confidence who, like me, has been struggling to hit the 4st mark. She comes to be weighed between the two sessions so she doesn't have to meet any of the other members but is quite happy to chat with me as we are at same loss. She was weighed just before me and was over the moon to reach the 4 st, I was thrilled for her as was our consultant, then I had to get on scales, was gobsmacked to have a -1lb, which took me over the 4 st, two 4st losses on the trot, how exciting was that

One happy girlie!
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 6th Dec 18, 9:23 PM
    • 53,735 Posts
    • 634,016 Thanks
    bubbs

Well WI was more than a bit on the quiet side. There is a young girl lacking in confidence who, like me, has been struggling to hit the 4st mark. She comes to be weighed between the two sessions so she doesn't have to meet any of the other members but is quite happy to chat with me as we are at same loss. She was weighed just before me and was over the moon to reach the 4 st, I was thrilled for her as was our consultant, then I had to get on scales, was gobsmacked to have a -1lb, which took me over the 4 st, two 4st losses on the trot, how exciting was that

One happy girlie!
    well done to both of you, its good she will talk to you but sad she doesn't get anything from the group
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 6th Dec 18, 9:25 PM
    • 5,736 Posts
    • 42,361 Thanks
    joedenise
    Well done GTQ. Brilliant weight loss.

Thanks Bubbs for the recipe but think I'll stick with the baked oats as don't need to worry about using a microwave, although it's a possibility for when I'm away in the caravan!

Denise
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 18, 10:26 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,964 Thanks
    beanielou

One happy girlie!
    Great result

***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 18, 10:27 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,964 Thanks
    beanielou
    I lost 4 1/2 tonight

***Keep plodding***
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Dec 18, 10:30 PM
    • 18,893 Posts
    • 112,750 Thanks
    maman
    I lost 4 1/2 tonight
    Wow! beanie . You're amazing!

Are you back in target now?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 18, 10:47 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,964 Thanks
    beanielou
    Wow! beanie . You're amazing!

Are you back in target now?
    Originally posted by maman
    Yes & dident have to pay

***Keep plodding***
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 7th Dec 18, 12:36 AM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 16,316 Thanks
    greentiger
    Good for you, Kathryn. You are managing so well.

Well done, LMCD and Gtq. And, beanie – Wow!

Take care, Stoke.

Still not got to grips with my new routine yet, so yesterday was disastrous as far as eating goes. Silly me. Not a whole lot better today, but better. Out for lunch tomorrow, so we’ll see how things go.
    Stashbusting 154
    Reading Challenge 34/26
    Film Challenge 31/26[COLOR="Blue"]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Weight Loss 1.4lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,685Posts Today

7,370Users online

Martin's Twitter