Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zabki
    • By Zabki 6th Dec 18, 6:11 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Zabki
    Gas/Electricity for vulnerable family without credit history
    • 6th Dec 18, 6:11 PM
    Gas/Electricity for vulnerable family without credit history 6th Dec 18 at 6:11 PM
    Hi,

I'm part of a charity helping a vulnerable family into housing and work.

They will be able to look after themselves and the idea is to make them independent and self sufficient. They are capable of paying bills on their own and do not need top up keys, the house has normal readers.

So my question is do you know of a good cheap deal which isn't a problem to get if having no credit history?
Page 1
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 6th Dec 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 69,773 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 6th Dec 18, 9:45 PM
    • 6th Dec 18, 9:45 PM
    The first thing to do when they move in is READ THE METERS.

Next, find out who already supplies the energy to the property - use your favourite search engine and search for "who supplies my energy"

Next, once you/they have found who the supplier(s) is/are, ring them up, give them the readings and ask for an account.

Next, go on a comparison site and find the cheapest deal - obviously there will be no historic usage so make a guess, for example use 3000Kwh for electric and 12500 for gas, both figures for an estimated annual consumption, they may use more, they may well use less.

Meanwhile, advise them to open a savings account and stash 100 a month in it ready to pay for any energy used when the bill comes in.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 6th Dec 18, 10:24 PM
    • 3,995 Posts
    • 2,535 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 6th Dec 18, 10:24 PM
    • 6th Dec 18, 10:24 PM
    They also need to read the meters regularly, at least once a month and send the readings into their supplier.

By reading the meters often they will hopefully be able to see how much energy they are using and to minimise their consumption.

Likewise they will be able to anticipate how much their bills will cost enabling them to avoid getting into arrears.

When they monitor it they'll be able to control it.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • Zabki
    • By Zabki 7th Dec 18, 3:20 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Zabki
    • 7th Dec 18, 3:20 PM
    • 7th Dec 18, 3:20 PM
    The first thing to do when they move in is READ THE METERS.

Next, find out who already supplies the energy to the property - use your favourite search engine and search for "who supplies my energy"

Next, once you/they have found who the supplier(s) is/are, ring them up, give them the readings and ask for an account.

Next, go on a comparison site and find the cheapest deal - obviously there will be no historic usage so make a guess, for example use 3000Kwh for electric and 12500 for gas, both figures for an estimated annual consumption, they may use more, they may well use less.

Meanwhile, advise them to open a savings account and stash 100 a month in it ready to pay for any energy used when the bill comes in.
    Originally posted by D_M_E
    Excellent reply.

Just one follow up query. So when I phone up previous supplier and ask for an account do I not look them in to a deal with penalties to change supplier?
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 7th Dec 18, 4:10 PM
    • 4,066 Posts
    • 2,645 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 7th Dec 18, 4:10 PM
    • 7th Dec 18, 4:10 PM
    I Don`t think occupiers should be too wary of the current prepayment meter rates. They are all now price capped well below an occupiers standard/variable rates.Do a comparison search on Uswitch to compare yearly costs on your annual projected usage or the national average if you re not sure
    With today`s 21st century smart prepayment meters with their variety of easy online/phone top ups it could be the best option rather than locking yourself into fixed deals with the cheapest suppliers some of who increase direct debits at their will to much higher levels.
    Most of the rock bottom rates come with exit fees of around 30 for gas/electric fixes and they also require the first month payment in advance.
    Not many suppliers credit check prepayment meter customers. Eon may I think
    Last edited by Houbara; 07-12-2018 at 7:18 PM.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 7th Dec 18, 4:34 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 7th Dec 18, 4:34 PM
    • 7th Dec 18, 4:34 PM
    Just one follow up query. So when I phone up previous supplier and ask for an account do I not look them in to a deal with penalties to change supplier?
    Originally posted by Zabki
    No, when you move into a new house you must register with the current supplier as you are automatically on a deemed tariff with them. This is a standard tariff with no fixed contract/exit fees, but its always more expensive than a fixed tariff, hence D_M_E's advice of registering with the existing supplier but then immediately looking on the price comparison sites for a cheaper deal. It can take up to 8 weeks to switch, so you need to do it asap, as they will be paying the expensive standard price for a month or two in the winter until the switch goes through, which is obviously far from ideal.
    Last edited by mac.d; 07-12-2018 at 4:37 PM.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 7th Dec 18, 4:44 PM
    • 4,105 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 7th Dec 18, 4:44 PM
    • 7th Dec 18, 4:44 PM
    Hi,

I'm part of a charity helping a vulnerable family into housing and work.

They will be able to look after themselves and the idea is to make them independent and self sufficient. They are capable of paying bills on their own and do not need top up keys, the house has normal readers.

So my question is do you know of a good cheap deal which isn't a problem to get if having no credit history?
    Originally posted by Zabki
    In the London area, Angelic. However the supplier is Robin Hood so likely to be credit searched.

EDF Easy Online but support is via the online chat and all documents and letters are online too. So access to internet is a must have. Payment by direct debit. EDF didn't credit search me.

Depends on region and consumption.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,854Posts Today

6,606Users online

Martin's Twitter