PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How did you save for you first home?

Comments

• epinjy
    epinjy Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Rented in an unpleasant house share, didn't own a car, didn't go on holiday..
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It was simple. I didn’t spend a single unnecessary penny.

I’d have done what Davesnave did, only the building societies down here wouldn’t lend on properties like that. In fact they were rationing lending. As a result I totally failed to acquire any practical skills and now have to resort to the in my home board for advice for diy dummies.

The upside was learning to be frugal which was immensely useful when interest rates hit 15%.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    We bought our first house in the early 80s in Surrey which is one of the most expensive areas in the country. Only way we could do it was to take advantage of a cheap rented flat above a bank at a staff discounted rate as I worked for them. We watched every penny and did not spend unnecessarily. Hardly went out, no take aways, budgeted for food and petrol/car expenses and bought very little in way of clothes/make up etc and forewent holidays. Then we bought a 2 up, 2 down probate sale and did it up ourselves. It was tough but that got us on the property ladder.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I’d have done what Davesnave did, only the building societies down here wouldn’t lend on properties like that. In fact they were rationing lending.
    The house I bought was sound and mortgageable. Being War Damage, it was re-built exactly as it had been before 1942! The BS insisted on a hot water system, but the crumbling rubber wiring was either missed or not an issue.

Yes, in those days, the building societies could run out of money. Naturally, it ran out when I wanted it! "We'll have more in 6 months" is no use when you've found the right place. Fortunately, the nice lady whispered, "The Alliance & Leicester have just opened in Union St and I've heard they're lending..."

An hour or so later, the A&L had my cheque and the deal was agreed in principle. Hard to explain in today's financial environment, but I felt I'd done something slightly immoral, dumping my local building society and its other savers like that!:rotfl:
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Got it. So, yes, first house was in need of refurbishment but had to live with it for years because there was no spare money, even for diy improvements, given the rapid rise in interest rates and London prices.

It always amuses me to read posts on here on the lines of ‘if you have no spare cushion of money for unexpected repairs, you can’t afford that house’. What a luxury that would have been!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I bought as part of a couple and didn’t save at all (went straight from uni to owning).
    We did a builders shared equity scheme which postponed 20% of the purchase and that worked out fine for us.
  • bopsybunny
    bopsybunny Posts: 109 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Graduated from uni in July 2015 (aged 23) with no savings. Have lived with my boyfriend (then aged 25) since uni so we only had one lot of rent to pay. For first 2 years after graduation we earned enough to pay rent/bills/one car/food shopping/reasonable social life. Some months we saved up to £400, some months we didn't save a penny or even dipped into our savings.

In mid-2017 I got a new job with an incredibly decent pay rise. We were then able to save on average £1000 per month (I know this is unrealistic for most people!). This was a combination of not increasing our way of life just because we had more money, and actually being more frugal. The pay rise led us to taking saving more seriously, as it was more acheivable. We didn't go on holiday for 2.5 years (other than occasional weekends away with family), went out for dinner less, spent less when we did go out, and carefully planned our food shop to spend no more than £30 per week instead of our normal £60. Lots of batch cooking. We also saved into Help to Buy ISAs. I carefully logged our savings in a spreadsheet every pay day to keep an eye on our progress.

We bought our first home in December 2018, aged 26/29, with a 10% deposit.

We actually bought a house slightly under budget and have used the equivalent of what we got in bonuses from the ISAs to pay for a holiday to Vietnam!

Realistically, the only way to massively increase your saving power is to find a way to increase your income - lifestyle changes can only take you so far.
    Wedding savings Jan 19: £1.4k. Sept 19: £7.5k. Mar 20: £12.6k
    Goal: Pay for wedding by August 2020 <3
  • rescynic
    rescynic Posts: 28 Forumite
    We've just bought our first home :) (aged 36/41 accordingly)

Like the OP we were tight every month.

We started off opening a Help 2 buy ISA and religiously put our £200 a month into it (It's only £50 a week you need to find), we started a "save the change" jar in the house and everyday we emptied our wallet and purse into it, any bonuses, or payrise from work went into a separate savings account and our penny jar was deposited monthly.

We pulled together a detailed income/outgoings sheet and looked at every bill and outgoing. Jumped on comparison sites for the bills, credit cards and that stuff, swapped our shopping habits to shop at a cheaper supermarket. Every pound we saved on weekly shopping, or a bill went into the savings account. We then spent a bit of time snowballing debts (pick a credit card or overdraft and pay it down then use that money + the original payment to pay the next one and so on until they are gone or reduced to a point your happy with) then use that monthly payment towards the deposit (also helps with your affordability calcs for the mortgage)

I also stopped smoking which massively helped!

In the end we were gifted some money from family when "the one" came on the market to make up the shortfall but over the course of a few years we managed to save the better part of £12k, and the free money from the government helped a lot.
  • I had a deposit loan from Bank of Mum to help me buy my flat in 2000 just after my 30th birthday, and been living in a council flat in a bad area with virtually no furniture (what I had was donated by friends of my Mums who were clearing out their late Mums house). That helped my save a bit to cover legal costs. Paid Mum back over about 5 years with interest she lost not having it in savings so was cheaper than a proper loan.

With rents now it must be even more difficult to save, but as others have said focus and only buy what is necessary and save the rest. I wish I had done that, wouldn't have needed Bank of Mum and may have bought earlier.
  • Two words...Matched Betting.

Made £50K in 3 years and was more than enough to buy my first house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure