Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2019 at 3:57PM
    hawkwind wrote: »
    Hi, So energy and Zog energy have confirmed that my switch is now complete.
    Can anyone confirm that it is OK to cancel my direct debit with Avro. . .
    That's what I've been doing for years. Your contract ends when the switch completes. If you owe them money (ha, ha) then you are still liable for payment but you are no longer subject to their Ts&Cs.

A word to the wise - From 01 May Ofgem requires all energy suppliers to pay £30 automatic compensation if outstanding credit from a switch is not refunded within 10 working days of producing the final bill (unless the bill is disputed). Then £30 for every 10 days' delay thereafter.

If you play your cards right, you could get some small revenge. :)
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • hawkwind
    hawkwind Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's what I've been doing for years. Your contract ends when the switch completes. If you owe them money (ha, ha) then you are still liable for payment but you are no longer subject to their Ts&Cs.

A word to the wise - From 01 May Ofgem requires all energy suppliers to pay £30 automatic compensation if outstanding credit from a switch is not refunded within 10 working days of producing the final bill (unless the bill is disputed). Then £30 for every 10 days' delay thereafter.

If you play your cards right, you could get some small revenge. :)

Thank you :)
    I will go ahead and cancel the DD then, to be fair to Avro they have been fine for me in all of the time I have been with them and always changed my tariff if a cheaper one was available straight away.
    No point in risking an extra payment though if I don't have to.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,595 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Received an email from Avro yesterday asking me to confirm I was leaving, which I did. Then today received a "sorry you're leaving" email which included the following:
    [FONT=&quot]
    We have received notification that a new provider is due to take over your energy supply, so I have set your Direct Debit payments to zero to ensure that no further payments will be taken. Once we have received your final readings from your new provider, we can produce your final bill and this will be available for you to download via your myAvro account. Please note this process can take up to 6 weeks.
    [/FONT]
    Seems pretty clear that they won't take any more payments, even if I don't cancel my DD. Might wait until the final bill is produced before contacting my bank to cancel the DD, just to see if they're as good as their word.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    victor2 wrote: »
    Received an email from Avro yesterday asking me to confirm I was leaving, which I did. Then today received a "sorry you're leaving" email which included the following:

Seems pretty clear that they won't take any more payments, even if I don't cancel my DD. Might wait until the final bill is produced before contacting my bank to cancel the DD, just to see if they're as good as their word.

That's what I received and that's what I'm waiting out - apprehensively. :)
  • The wording in my "sorry you're leaving" email was more threatening than anything else, and certainly did not include the reduction to 0 on my Direct Debit. They demanded payment of my previously unknown amount before allowing me to switch. I paid in full and they've taken a DD since then.

Now I asked for a final bill and was told
    We are currently awaiting your final meter readings from your new supplier.

Once we have received these via the National Database, we will then be able to produce your final bill and refund any credit back to yourself.

So goodness knows how long I have to wait :(
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,595 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The wording in my "sorry you're leaving" email was more threatening than anything else, and certainly did not include the reduction to 0 on my Direct Debit. They demanded payment of my previously unknown amount before allowing me to switch. I paid in full and they've taken a DD since then.

Maybe it depends on whether or not you have a credit balance that will probably cover your usage until the switch goes through.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2019 at 2:48PM
    The wording in my "sorry you're leaving" email was more threatening than anything else, and certainly did not include the reduction to 0 on my Direct Debit. They demanded payment of my previously unknown amount before allowing me to switch. I paid in full and they've taken a DD since then.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

A debit balance is not a justification for blocking a switch. The debt provision is supposed to be for those on debt-repayment plans. It is the very nature of paying by DD that the account might fluctuate between credit and debit during the life-time of a contract.

If I had been in your situation I would have made a formal complaint, claiming compensation for any extra costs if I miss the chance to make the switch I had intended. You might want to go down that route after the switch has finally completed.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • ymmit
    ymmit Posts: 6 Forumite
    aylesby wrote: »
    Strange company this one.
    Six months in I am making the direct debits and sending readings via the web site. My payments show as an ever increasing balance as do my last meter readings but the rest of the website is an estimated algorithm. As it happens I know my usage is as I forecast as I have always keep a detailed spreadsheet.
    The transfer went anonymously well but is there anyone there?

#metoo - they are taking money every month, I'm getting notifications and sending meter readings but no bills.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    ymmit, have you phoned/emailed them to ask when they are going to produce your billls?
    As a mater of course Avro ask me by email every month for reading which I enter through my account but they don't email to say when the bills have been produced.
    Others have said that until they produce bills they can show the cash they have collected in their bank balance.
  • Switched to Avro 1 year ago on MSE's recomendation - just renewed. I have found them very easy to deal with, their rates are very competitive and their site is easy to navigate. What more do you want ?:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback