Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• lookahead
    lookahead Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    I had no problem switching to Avro Energy but when I tried to switch away they seem to have made up their own rules. They required a confirmation email to confirm the transfer away. They required me to pay up front the small amount in debit on my last bill, despite having an active Direct Debit. They said they hadn't objected to the transfer away on the phone, but their email sent only minutes later from the same person said they had and that I'd have to re-apply to switch away. Shocking, and surely not compliant with the statutory switching process?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2019 at 1:12PM
    Watch out for Avro Energy's latest trick to hang on to your refund.

I am currently switching from Avro and have received an email containing the following:-
    If your account is in credit once your final bill is available, then please contact us to confirm that you are happy with the final statement, and we can then process your refund
    If you are not "happy" with the final statement then Avro can delay payment of the refund until the problem is resolved and then they don't have to make automatic compensation payments (due from 01 May) until the problem is resolved.

We know how long Avro can take to do that.

Be warned.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • DennisTenus
    DennisTenus Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Watch out for Avro Energy's latest trick to hang on to your refund.

I am currently switching from Avro and have received an email containing the following:-
    If you are not "happy" with the final statement then Avro can delay payment of the refund until the problem is resolved and then they don't have to make automatic compensation payments (due from 01 May) until the problem is resolved.

We know how long Avro can take to do that.

Be warned.

So you have to say you are happy even if you are not?!
  • mr-b
    mr-b Posts: 83 Forumite
    AE's head of complaints contacted me about the Ombudsman decision, asking whether I wanted to accept that or continue with my previous payment holiday arrangement. Of course the ombudsman remedy was a better option since it gave me a full credit refund immediately. So we'll see how long it takes for their credit BACS "run" ...

Also they said that the £50 was in my account (this was part of the ombudsman's ruling for an apology in writing + £50 as a goodwill gesture). I'm still waiting for the actual apology!
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2019 at 5:44PM
    mr-b wrote: »
    AE's head of complaints contacted me about the Ombudsman decision, asking whether I wanted to accept that or continue with my previous payment holiday arrangement. Of course the ombudsman remedy was a better option since it gave me a full credit refund immediately. So we'll see how long it takes for their credit BACS "run" ...
    Also they said that the £50 was in my account (this was part of the ombudsman's ruling for an apology in writing + £50 as a goodwill gesture). I'm still waiting for the actual apology!
    Thanks for sharing.

Now would be a good time to work out what your likely consumption will be until the end of your contract so you're armed with the facts when the horse-trading over the direct-debit begins.

Edit
    I think I would accept the additional £50 goodwill payment as an (unwritten) apology.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • aylesby
    aylesby Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Strange company this one.
    Six months in I am making the direct debits and sending readings via the web site. My payments show as an ever increasing balance as do my last meter readings but the rest of the website is an estimated algorithm. As it happens I know my usage is as I forecast as I have always keep a detailed spreadsheet.
    The transfer went anonymously well but is there anyone there?
  • What an unpleasant surprise. I am now a Scottish Power customer since the 8th, and Avro still took my full direct debit on the 10th.

Can't believe they get away with this.

I suppose I am now one of the many waiting to get a refund from a company that doesn't communicate.
  • hawkwind
    hawkwind Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, So energy and Zog energy have confirmed that my switch is now complete.
    Can anyone confirm that it is OK to cancel my direct debit with Avro.
    I am £114 in credit and I have used 32.9 units of electricity and 20.4 units of gas since Avros last statement and the first meter readings provided to SOenergy and Zog
    therefore I should have more than enough credit to cover the final statement.
    I don't want another £98 being taken by direct debit again from Avro at the end of the month if I don't have to.
    Thanks.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,595 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm going to be in a similar position soon. My transfer out of Avro is underway and I will end up with a small credit balance. I intend to cancel the DD once the new account is underway. My thinking is that Avro take payments up front, so have no right to take a payment after the contract has ended, especially not for an account in credit, but I'd bet they'll try.

We know it's nonsense about them needing the DD in place to refund the balance, they can always send me a cheque if that's their argument. No doubt they'll then say they only process cheques on one day a month, or some other delaying tactic like that.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    victor2 wrote: »
    I'm going to be in a similar position soon. My transfer out of Avro is underway and I will end up with a small credit balance. I intend to cancel the DD once the new account is underway. My thinking is that Avro take payments up front, so have no right to take a payment after the contract has ended, especially not for an account in credit, but I'd bet they'll try.

We know it's nonsense about them needing the DD in place to refund the balance, they can always send me a cheque if that's their argument. No doubt they'll then say they only process cheques on one day a month, or some other delaying tactic like that.
    However painful it may get do not cancel your D/D;...you’ll get all your credit refunded eventually,...but cancelling your D/D before the dust has settled can cause problems with your switch.

I left Avro last year and they were excellent to be fair;...they didn’t take an additional D/D after my official leaving day and once my final gas & leccy readings had been ‘industry verified’ (which took many weeks!) Avro issued my definitive ‘final bill’ in very short order. My credit refund followed on quickly after that;...however, that was then! :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback