Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs.

Comments

• jud!th wrote: »
    I want basic broadband and phone line only, no TV, so rang Virgin to say that we were going over to talktalk/BT, and that overall that would cost us £14 a month over the next 18 months (plus £29.99 to reconnect to BT).Their best offer was £15.50 for phone and up to 2mb broadband. They tried to say ISDN was vastly inferior to cable broadband, but having checked out speeds where we live, when I rang back to say no we had decided to cancel, they said ok.

Got a phone call from them just now, waited to see what they were going to offer, but no it was the £15.50 for phone and up to 2mb broadband again... Not bad I guess, but not as good as BT and talktalk current offer.

Anyone got a better offer from Virgin?

J

14.99 a month for up to 8gb (though my line can only take 3gb) with the first 3 months being half price. This includes evening and weekend calls but line rental excluded.
    :D
  • Hi :)

We've been with VM for around 19 months now.

Currently on : XL TV, XL BB, M Phone.

We were paying £37.00pm, but without notice we suddenly got charged £58 in October, according to the bill they added on a Partial Month charge on top of the monthly price, now it has been set at £47.50pm.

My OH phoned up and they said £37pm was a 12 month only deal (they didn't tell us that at the time we signed up to it) and that the Partial Month extra charge added on in October was because this deal ended on 27th Sept (although as far as I'm concerned, our Sept bill clearly states that we're paying for services up to 25th Oct at £37pm, so I think they've got a bit of a cheek to add extra on the following month in hindsight without any notice). He spoke to two different people in retentions but both refused to offer any discount whatsoever, or offer any discount on getting a V+ box. So OH said he wanted to cancel, but next day chickened out and phoned them back to say he'd stay (I told him not to but what can you do :rolleyes:).

I've just checked on Sky's website, we can get the equivalent of XL TV, XL BB with free wireless router, and L Phone inc free caller display, plus a free Sky+ box using a refer a friend voucher, all for £42pm.

I think I'm going to phone up retentions again over the weekend and try for a better deal, although I don't think they'll speak to me as the account is in my boyfriend's name, can he authorise me to make changes to the account somehow?

Does anybody have a good offer for XL BB, XL TV, M Phone and V+ that I could try for?

Thank you :)
    Mother, wife, scientist, analyst.
  • Hi Mouthscradle,

I have just had the same thing happen to me, we were paying £55 for xl tv, bband and tel. But they put it up to £82. I rang yesterday they said it was because my contract had ended and I wasn't getting my bundle discount anymore. I checked on sky.com and I could get the same package for £62, plus get a sky plus box for £99. I rang Virgin back and told them this. They matched the £62 and said I could have a V+box for £30! I was really pleased with this. Good Luck:T
  • if you change your package slighty , you seem to get a better deal ( i.e gives them a excuse to lower your pricing.

before i had

2 x hd virgin boxes
    1 x normal box
    1 telephone line
    broadband
    movies pack
    basic film back ( medium)
    about 100 quid

now i have the same but with the large tv pack for 75pounds a month ( BUT i have to pay 50 x 2 twice upfront to make the boxes mine or something)

but please make sure you write done the offered details as i just got my bill through and its more then i had expected ( i.e 75 per box charge instead of 50)
  • Hi All

I'm currently on VM -
    2MB+ Telephone line = £16.50

I took this deal over when my housemate moved out after 5 months, so I have 7 months left with them. He was on Sky, so didn't sign up to the TV but needed the phone line.

I called VM before I took the rest of the contract on, and was told I could down grade the internet to 2MB. I also asked them if I could swap the phone for the TV and they said 'Yes' that would be no problem, all I had to pay was £10 for the box to be sent through, and not to bother getting rid of the phone line as TV was included in the package.

I called this evening to order the box and now they are telling me I cannot swap the telephone for the freeview, and it will cost an additional £5.50 a month - and to send the box out will cost me £15 now!

Please can anyone tell me if they have encountered such a contradiction in information, and a change in price. I'm not happy about this, so any advice about what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 617
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I know that quick start self install is now £15, have a look here:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/installationcharges.html

It sounds as if adding the tv service will put you onto a different pricing structure. They used to do 2mb with phone and TV medium for £20 per month, as long as you had ebilling and payment by direct debit. Not sure if this is still the case.
  • Inspired by this thread I phoned up VM after they tried to impress me with basic TV package and keep my monthly bill at
    39 pounds + calls for:
    up to 20Mb BB and landline with unlim weekend calls.

The guy at retentions was very nice and he offered me a package with lower
    BB speed of 10 Mb and the same landline = all for

It's on a 12 month contract but I think it's a fairly good deal. He said that is the cheapest he could do for me. Didn't throw in an M TV package though, that's a bit disappointing.
  • My previous package was
    B/B - M
    TV - XL
    V+ Box
    Std Phone pack

Total per month £40

Phoned and said I wanted to cancel and they offered

B/B - M
    TV - XL
    V+ Box
    Free eve's + w/ends calls

All for £36.20 inc E-Billing

Had to pay a one off charge of £30 to stop the £10 V+ tax though, which is what it would have cost me overall to swap to Sky, and is £45 better than the donkey I spoke to yesterday
    Plus, it'll stay at that rate as long as I have my V+ box

I'm happy enough with that

:j

Took me 2 years to post my first post :)
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We have had a £40 deal going with VM for ages, but had all sorts of probs with their TV on-demand services.

I rang up to cancel, and they persuaded me to hold on for a few weeks, while they checked out our cables, local servers etc.
    I said I would, if they would GIVE me a V+ box. they said a V+ box would cost £75. I asked for it discounted, because of my inconvenience. Eventually they agreed I could have it for £30, if I signed up to a new 12 month contract.

When thery sent the contract thru, it said £75 for the V+ box. So I rang and
    told them to get it right or no deal.
    New contract came thru with £45 discount on it.

December bill has come thru, and they've applied the £45 ciscount TWICE, so in the end they are paying me £15 to take the V+ box.
    That's a RESULT.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,701
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ambassador
    Hi all

I'm on the M broadband with Talk Weekends for £15.50 a month deal.

To get this, I had to take these services for at least 12 months.

The 12 months is nearly up and I can't sign up for another 12 months as I'm moving house at some point this year and will be getting Sky.

To try and keep my bill low, I was thinking of dropping the phone (as I hardly use it anyway), but how much would I be paying for M broadband only? The only thing I can see on their website is £10/month for the first six months and £18/month thereafter but that's for new customers only.

Anyone know what their base price for M broadband for existing customers is?

Suze
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure