Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 4th Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    • 3,176Posts
    • 2,276Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Exit brexit?
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    Exit brexit? 4th Dec 17 at 5:57 PM
    Proving to be a bit more difficult than imagined, isn’t it?

We’re a special case. So is London, so is Scotland, so is Gibraltar.

What’s the likelihood of it just not happening at all?
Page 31
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 18th Dec 19, 6:14 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    justaquestion
    Relax, everyone - Sammy’s going to insist that Boris build a bridge to Scotland. Sure the water’s only 1000 feet deep - what could possibly go wrong?

More embarrassing buffoonery.
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    I was just thinking having crossed on the ferry to Scotland a few times, having went on deck of ship and having at the deep blue sea (or should be be dark blue waves crashing about everywhere, nature at its finest) it just seems a crazy idea to want to build a bridge, and if said bridge was ever built, I think I would be staying well clear of it.

Isn't this the same route where lorries were tossed about on the ferry just over a year ago?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 18th Dec 19, 9:17 PM
    • 19,766 Posts
    • 12,431 Thanks
    motorguy
    I was just thinking having crossed on the ferry to Scotland a few times, having went on deck of ship and having at the deep blue sea (or should be be dark blue waves crashing about everywhere, nature at its finest) it just seems a crazy idea to want to build a bridge, and if said bridge was ever built, I think I would be staying well clear of it.

Isn't this the same route where lorries were tossed about on the ferry just over a year ago?
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    I think the trick would be to build the bridge above the water line?

Wouldnt be the longest bridge in the world, is doable, but i dont particularly see a massive benefit.
    Just because you're offended doesnt mean you're right
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 18th Dec 19, 11:17 PM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 2,276 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    I think the trick would be to build the bridge above the water line?

Wouldnt be the longest bridge in the world, is doable, but i dont particularly see a massive benefit.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    I’d say the comment refers to the weather conditions in the north channel, and the likely difficulties crossing such a bridge when the wind gets up. Having motorcycled unhappily across the comparatively tiny Severn bridge on the way to Bristol on a bad day, it’s a reasonable fear. Even the foyle bridge has to be closed sometimes.

Is the bridge doable, given 1000 feet of water? Probably not. Is the idea ludicrous? Definitely. Doesn’t seem to stop Sammy Wilson, who also displays a similar level of judgement in his continuing wild enthusiasm for a hard brexit.

Apparently the better route for a bridge would be Dublin to Holyhead, given the much shallower water. Not going to happen either.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 19th Dec 19, 11:14 AM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 2,276 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    The numbers of votes for the two main parties is interesting - Johnson didn't increase the numbers who voted Tory by very much compared to May's election -
    2017: 12,379,200
    2019: 12,685,480.

The huge increase in seats was due to Labour voters not turning out - no doubt finding it impossible to vote for Corbyn to become PM - and unwilling to give their vote to other parties -
    2017: 11,390,099
    2019: 9,148,481.

Figures from
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2017/results/england
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2019/results/england
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Similarly, wee Nicola is back to banging on about another referendum when a minority voted for nationalists. I feel sorry for the majority of scots who have to listen to this. People who know what Darien means.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,763Posts Today

10,193Users online

Martin's Twitter