MSE News: Hotpoint tumble dryer help: 3 extra tricks to get you a refund

Comments

• Having read MSE reports about issues with Hotpoint driers, I found that my condenser drier was one of the affected appliances. I decided to have my appliance modified and in a second engineer visit, the product had a new drum kit, condenser kit, pump kit and filter kit fitted. However the engineer called out to me and asked me if I could smell burning. He explained that he had, "burnt out the electrics" as there were 2 faulty wires but I would receive a new appliance. Later, I received a phone call stating that, as the appliance was out of warranty, I could have a new discounted product to which I said, "No.". I am still waiting for a satisfactory response from Hotpoint Consumer Services. What should I do next?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sue_W-M wrote: »
    Having read MSE reports about issues with Hotpoint driers, I found that my condenser drier was one of the affected appliances. I decided to have my appliance modified and in a second engineer visit, the product had a new drum kit, condenser kit, pump kit and filter kit fitted. However the engineer called out to me and asked me if I could smell burning. He explained that he had, "burnt out the electrics" as there were 2 faulty wires but I would receive a new appliance. Later, I received a phone call stating that, as the appliance was out of warranty, I could have a new discounted product to which I said, "No.". I am still waiting for a satisfactory response from Hotpoint Consumer Services. What should I do next?

How much was the discount? It is not usual to offer a free replacement for a machine which is no longer under warranty, so you're not being treated unfairly.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    How much was the discount? It is not usual to offer a free replacement for a machine which is no longer under warranty, so you're not being treated unfairly.
    I'd say the engineer caused the problem so Hotpoint should fix it, if this means a free new machine then so be it.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Zandoni wrote: »
    I'd say the engineer caused the problem so Hotpoint should fix it, if this means a free new machine then so be it.

The drier in question was one of those affected by the recall. Hotpoint/Whirlpool's policy is to offer a new drier at large discount. OP's drier was already "faulty" (and appeared to have 2 faulty wires) and out of warranty, so she would be in no worse a position that the majority of people affected by the recall.

But it is certainly worth the OP pursuing a free replacement, but if the answer is still no, I don't know if it would be worth going to small claims
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Zandoni
    The drier in question was one of those affected by the recall. Hotpoint/Whirlpool's policy is to offer a new drier at large discount. OP's drier was already "faulty" (and appeared to have 2 faulty wires) and out of warranty, so she would be in no worse a position that the majority of people affected by the recall.

But it is certainly worth the OP pursuing a free replacement, but if the answer is still no, I don't know if it would be worth going to small claims

It appears that the machine was working before the engineers visit so I’d still say it’s Hotpoint responsibility to rectify it. I don’t buy the faulty wire excuse I’m afraid.
  • Zandoni
    I hope everyone is keeping up with the story of these problem machines on Watchdog.

Never leave it on unattended whether it's been modified or not, better still replace it.
  • Zandoni
    They are on Watchdog again tonight, especially worth watching if you’ve already had the modification done.
  • Please, please, please - if you're machine's been modified, don't leave it unattended.

Ours nearly caught fire while running a basic load, house still smells of burnt plastic and lint. :( Which are advising that the fix (green sticker) doesn't fix it properly.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/whirlpool-tumble-dryer-safety-alert
    Debt Free April 2019:j to July 2019 :( NEW WTC:eek:1,194
  • Zandoni
    Now alarming evidence has emerged suggesting that Whirlpool may have been actively trying to prevent customers who have experienced issues with their modified machines from speaking publicly about these incidents.

https://conversation.which.co.uk/home-energy/whirlpool-opss-review-doubts-evidence/?utm_source=whichcouk&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=whirlpoolevidence250419
  • Zandoni
    edited 17 December 2019 at 2:43PM
    Hotpoint are getting better at reporting their dangerous products, they made dangerous tumble dryers for 11 years.

Their dangerous washing machines are being recalled after just 5

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family