Beat way for privacy on windows

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Venetian blinds surely? You just angle them slightly down on the outside, and no-one can see anything.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    jk0 wrote: »
    Venetian blinds surely? You just angle them slightly down on the outside, and no-one can see anything.

Yebbut dust! :eek:
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Net curtains are the best for this. They don't have to look fuddy duddy and old fashioned, ours look great and do a superb job of letting light in but keeping prying eyes out.
    Frosted glass is pointless as you can't see out either. Blinds block out light if they are closed and people can see in if they are open so are pretty useless at that job.
    Venetian blinds attract too much dust.
    Nets are easily washed in the washing machine but hardly ever need washing anyway.
  • I think people are confused as to what u want to do with the window - I would only cover the bottom half, not the top.
  • TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I used purlfrost on our porch and don't understand how anybody could claim it had shattered their window. It's only plastic film. I was fortunate in that I needed 4 separate panels so could learn on a small window first. It's not difficult to use, just requires care and patience.
    Check the google reviews https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/reviews/B01M3RT7MT/ref=cm_cr_unknown?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1
    In my opening post I think I mentioned it was mainly the black out film that had the issue
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    Are you sure people can see in?

Our house is right on the pavement so people walk past our living room window constantly.

When it is light outside the light reflects off the window so people can't see in unless they come right up to the window and peer in.

Every so often we catch people checking their hair / makeup etc. in the reflection on the window.

Once it gets darker outside and lights are on inside this changes so at that point we pull down the blinds.
  • happydays89
    happydays89 Posts: 304 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2019 at 4:25AM
    We don’t have a front garden just a pavement right outside the window,when we had the windows replaced we had triple glazing and asked them to make the middle glass lightly frosted,so it lets the light in but no one can see in.
    On my sons downstairs bedroom window we found a roll of film that you apply with a spray bottle of water. You can see out but for people looking in its looks like a mirror.We purchased it from Aldi a few years ago,if it’s dark and you put a light on then people can see in.

Google. Window privacy film. A good selection appears.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    pimento wrote: »
    Yebbut dust! :eek:

Never been a problem for me, and I don't dust mine! :)

I think it must be that I close them every night, so any little accumulation falls off. The bathroom blind comes down maybe every five years to be soaked in the bath with washing powder.
  • pramsay13 wrote: »
    Are you sure people can see in?

Our house is right on the pavement so people walk past our living room window constantly.

When it is light outside the light reflects off the window so people can't see in unless they come right up to the window and peer in.

Every so often we catch people checking their hair / makeup etc. in the reflection on the window.

Once it gets darker outside and lights are on inside this changes so at that point we pull down the blinds.

Yes because when I walk to my house I can see in. I also don’t like the idea of having to close the curtains/blinds constantly. I would like to keep them open when I go to bed.

I think plantation blinds might be a good idea!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback