We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Fruittea I wish you a speedy recovery. I've had both those areas injured (although not at the same time) and very hard. Do make sure you ask for some physiotherapy to get things back to normal after the rest. I had my leg in plaster for about three weeks with my last one and it really helped make me take the R&R advice - and following the advice makes a huge difference to how quickly you can get back to it. When you say you can park, you do mean your driver, don't you - only you won't be insured if you drive...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    smeeinnit wrote: »
    Hi Suffolk Lass :) questions are good!

I am building no 3 in the link you posted, the tutorial to built it is on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uDbjZ9roEQ&index=3&list=PL2g9F_fq9nC3KWxXRNNdwz29HwZ32woO2

I had an old side gate to use as a frame, I can only get 3 growing bottles high plus the watering bottle on top, but can fit 5 towers across in total so I will have 15 growing bottles once complete.

I plan to grow salad mostly, lettuce, spring onions, etc and herbs such as parsley, dill, and so forth.

HTH :)

I am impressed! I have an old industrial-sized butler sink with my salad crops in. It is the best defence against slugs and snails I have had. I hope you find the same with your vertical garden
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Fruittea.........ouch!! That sounds painful.

Hoping you have a speedy recovery. X
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Everyone. Lovely sunny day but I'm grounded today. I won't be driving Suffolk Lass - hopefully I'll feel well enough to be a passenger shortly. I know I'll have to do the physio to get this right.
    Meanwhile I can read about all your growing.
    All the best and thanks for the good wishes.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,887
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Fruittea, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Just the watering again for me today.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 April 2017 at 4:03PM
    Off to the plot in a few minutes when this black cloud has passed by.
    Watered this morning and did a bit of tiding up as I hadn't too much time.

This afternoon I want to sow some alderman seeds and some mangetout plus sort out and dig over another bed that has just been cleared of Sp broccoli.

Leeks are starting to germinate, lots of my oriental salads are up and away. The dwarf beans are showing as are the carrots, shallots and onions, the Red Duke of York are also making an appearance but I obviously didn't get all the jersulem artichokes out as they are also making an appearance between the potatoes. I may leave them - not sure - as the potatoes should be out by July. Things are moving a pace, I'm sure I'll forget something.:(

Just bought a packet of Elena soya bean. Has anyone had experience of growing any sort of soya bean as this is my first go at trying to grow them.
  • ouch fruittea! Hope you get better really soon x

Managed to get to the lottie this morning for about 1.5 hrs. hoed off 2 beds and hand weeded 2 of the beds with plants in. Managed to sow 2 rows of parsnips as well as plant up the final 10 BBs :)

We had friends round today for dinner and was able to sit out in the garden for a couple of hours on our new patio. It has made such a difference although there's still a lot to do! Really feels nice now though.

the crookneck courgette seed is germinating now :), I also sowed 12 more dwarf french beans yesterday. Still need to pot on a number of plants now. Put the courgettes and the cucumbers in the GH. The plan is to harden them over the next week with the view of leaving them out by the 1st . Sprouts and chard have germinated.

Still no sign of the piping despite my neighbour saying he would drop it round! Really hope he does as it'll be awkward to ask again and will cost me about £20 to buy :(

gosh just looking out at the garden and it looks so nice now!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Had a lovely day at Lottie. Weather has been beautiful!!

Got quite a bit of digging done and kept stopping to do various bits of weeding. Plot looking really tidy!!

Dad has put the tomatoes in place in greenhouse and after a tip off from a fellow allotmenter, we have rescued a dwarf plum tree from a vacant plot. Think it must have only been planted last year as still had price tag on (£24.95) and looks really healthy!

On the downside.......my cauli seedlings are wilting. :( I just dont know what I do wrong? Too much water? Wetting the leaves?

Think I just have to just resign myself to the fact its not going to happen for me where caulis are concerned.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

Still no sign of the piping despite my neighbour saying he would drop it round! Really hope he does as it'll be awkward to ask again and will cost me about £20 to buy :(

gosh just looking out at the garden and it looks so nice now!
    Could you call in on him and say 'I'm so sorry, ive been in and out all weekend and must have missed you for the piping. Im in all day today if thats convenient' - might spur him on :A
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Fruittea

So sorry to hear of your injury! Wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery. If you need some research goals for your time, I wouldnt mind hearing about how to end bindweed for all eternity? LOL

Got up the plot yesterday but took the 'menfolk' with me (DH and DS aged 6). Was only there for 90 mins as they get bored, and it puts me on edge feeling like i have to entertain/engage them. Wont make that mistake again anytime soon. I was quite disappointed in that yesterday but got two of the strawberry beds weeded if nothing else. I think I will give them this season and then clear them out. They've never produced particularly well so I think time to start again for sure.

My goals for this week are to level out the hole for the shed base, lay the slabs in, lay the pallets, put the ply on for the floor and screw the metal shed on. Plus remove the pins from my pallet collars to use them as edging around the soft fruit bed, weeded that out for a final time and then add the terracotta balls for mulch/weed protection :)
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family