40,000 iva

It is my very first time posting so apologies if I am not doing this correctly, but does anyone else have recent experience of applying for an IVA of approx £40,000 ? I am terrified, any advice, experiences at all would be very much appreciated. What kind of repayment amount is generally acceptable, and are StepChange the best people to go through?
Thank You x

Comments

• DFS
    DFS Posts: 26
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi.
    I used Stepchange last year and they were my saviours. They helped me every step of the way. I was 36k in debt to 8 creditors but as the main creditor I owed to was a small loan company, they rejected their offer of me paying back £86 a month but stepchange dealt with it and we accepted a proposal of £154 a month for 6 years.

A small price to pay, for a stress-free future.

I recommend them highly.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    bakersue wrote: »
    It is my very first time posting so apologies if I am not doing this correctly, but does anyone else have recent experience of applying for an IVA of approx £40,000 ? I am terrified, any advice, experiences at all would be very much appreciated. What kind of repayment amount is generally acceptable, and are StepChange the best people to go through?
    Thank You x

Stepchange can recommend an IP to use for an IVA yes.

Your monthly payment will depend on your disposable income, the creditors will be looking for the maximum return possible (don`t believe what you read about writing off a large % of your debt) its possible some of your debt will be written off, but again, it all depends on what you can pay towards the debts.

You will require 75% (by value of debt) of your creditors, to agree to it, in order for it to be passed.

Cant really say anymore unless you produce your budget.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi bakersue and welcome to MSE,

Repayments in an IVA are dependent on several factors, including your SOA and any assets you may have - specifically a property. If you are a homeowner then you can be asked to take out a secured loan in the 4th or 5th year of the IVA known as an equity release clause. The idea is that this will secured loan is taken out to end the IVA early, however, not many people qualify for a secured loan in this situation because of the damage to your credit file, and that is why the IVA is typically extended. But the equity release clause can play a big part in calculating your repayments.

Sourcrates is right that 75% of the value of the debt will need to agree to the proposal for it to go ahead. It is quite a restrictive option and is subject to a 12 month review. Just be aware that if your circumstances improve the payments may increase, but they are unlikely to decrease (much if at all) even if things get worse. If you cannot maintain the payments the IVA may fail and there is a risk you can be declared bankrupt, which can risk your assets. Best of luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    bakersue wrote: »
    Thank You x

Not knowing your full income/outgoings no-one is going to be able to let you repayment amounts. As long as you can pay back 25% in total you have a good chance.

Make sure your living expenses suit your income with a little bit to spare and do you own your own property or just renting?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure