payment allocations

Options
Rclj
Rclj Posts: 15 Forumite
i have recently transfered money around 2 credit cards so that in theory i would have one with a balance of £4000 @ 0% and the other would reduce a 20.6% apr to 4.9% this was the best case scenario i could achieve with my credit history
i have recieved my statement and the 0% card is showing 2000@ 0% and 2000 @ 19.17
my understanding was that payments above minimum would be allocated to the higher interest and one of the transactions has done this but the other has come off the 0% balance im not sure if ive messed up or there is a mistake ?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Payments (not just those above minimum) are allocated to the highest statemented balance, with the exception of one or two where they do not need to have statemented.

You need to work out what payments you made, when and what was on your statement at the time.
  • LesCats
    LesCats Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Have u tried contacting your card company?
  • Rclj
    Options
    I contacted them today they are looking into they did mention that it might be something to do with the statements but my understanding was that if i make a transaction they start charging interest 1 day later so any payments i make should be going to that ?? have i misunderstood this ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, you've misunderstood it.

Payments are allocated to the highest rate statemented balance.
  • Rclj
    Options
    ill just have to see what comes from their investigation but i guess i know what will happen. I did call them when i was about to make first payment to ask if what i thought to be correct was indeed correct and the lady i talked to confirmed it was so maybe a glimmer of hope on a bad advice basis but wont hold my breath
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure