Credit rating causing my a big problem

Options
Hi, I own a property and all my details are registered their. My driving licence, bank, passport etc. My mum has lived in the property for around 10 years on her own and claims housing benefit which the council are fine with and she pays that to me towards the mortgage. I have lived all over the place various friends/familys/partners houses and have never registered anywhere for council tax. My mum gets the single persons rate at the house i own.

The problem is i need to register on the voters roll at the house i own in order to get credit but i do not live their. What implications will this have on me or my mum? i am worried as i have never paid council tax to anyone but have stayed all over the place. Please advise my best option? Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You need to register for the address you currently reside it.
  • Col81_2
    Col81_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, i don't have a full time address my mum lives in one town, my partner in another, my dad in another and i work away a lot in a major city and stay mainly in hotels so i don't have a fixed abode. If i do register at m mums the question is what happens to my mum and the fact ive never paid it? most places i stay pay full council tax anyway
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can't have it both ways. If you register at your mums house (the one you own) then she is likely to lose single persons discount and possibly housing benefit.
  • Col81_2
    Options
    Why will she lose housing benefit? i dont live their? and why should i be expected to house my mum? i already do and the fact i have put a roof over her head for years has cause me issues the mortgage is £600 a month and i get £350 off the council so it costs me to keep her housed
  • BoGoF
    Options
    As was explained above you need to register at the address you live at so if you do register at your mums you are effectively saying you live there.....so no single person discount.
  • BoGoF
    Options
    And it seems you expect the council to pay £350 per month towards your mortgage and are happy to pay no council tax.

Hope you are declaring the rental income to the taxman?
  • Col81_2
    Options
    Why would it effect housing benefit if i register? that in effect says a son should pay for a mothers upkeep.
  • Col81_2
    Options
    my mortgage is £600 a month so i hardly profit do i!!!!!!!!! anyway wasting my time here no helpful answers.
  • BoGoF
    Options
    You obviously dont realise that when it comes to tax you cannit claim the full mortgage cost.
  • Col81_2
    Options
    Oh yes and it is interest only the mortgage!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure