Nhs interview advice

Comments

• raiiiraiii
    raiiiraiii Posts: 15 Forumite
    An email was only mentioned in the invitation. I've emailed that person and asked for a contact number so that I can ask about the role and discuss what it entails. I can only wait for their reply now...
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    raiiiraiii wrote: »
    I was actually thinking of doing this as I have also recieved this piece of advice from elsewhere. The problem is that even if I was to get in touch regarding the role which I am applying for, what questions would I ask? What would I talk about? Advice?

Thanks for your reply.

Personally I would ask like you say about what the role entails, but also what they think the main challenges of the role are.

Ask them what they are looking for in a Medical Records Administrator. That will help massively when you're preparing for the interview.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • raiiiraiii
    Masomnia wrote: »
    Personally I would ask like you say about what the role entails, but also what they think the main challenges of the role are.

Ask them what they are looking for in a Medical Records Administrator. That will help massively when you're preparing for the interview.

I really appreciate your reply -now I know what to ask. It would really make it seem that I am making an effort.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Forumite
    I really appreciate your reply -now I know what to ask. It would really make it seem that I am making an effort.

Always good to make an effort, it counts for a lot! You could also ask about who you'll be working with, who you'll be supporting in the role, what the culture is like.

It's very true that it's a two way process, and you need to figure out if the role and the place of work is right for you. So ask whatever you need to! Obviously thank them for their time, confirm your interest in the role and say you're looking forward to meeting them next week.

Maybe save it for the interview, but I think if I was looking at going into the NHS at 17 I would be making the point that you are aware that there are a lot of challenges, but you believe in the values of the NHS and you think it would be a great long term move for you.

Let us know how you get on!
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • raiiiraiii
    Masomnia wrote: »
    Always good to make an effort, it counts for a lot! You could also ask about who you'll be working with, who you'll be supporting in the role, what the culture is like.

It's very true that it's a two way process, and you need to figure out if the role and the place of work is right for you. So ask whatever you need to! Obviously thank them for their time, confirm your interest in the role and say you're looking forward to meeting them next week.

Maybe save it for the interview, but I think if I was looking at going into the NHS at 17 I would be making the point that you are aware that there are a lot of challenges, but you believe in the values of the NHS and you think it would be a great long term move for you.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks again for your reply. I'll definitely be making some notes and attempting to contact them once I receive a contact number.

I'm so nervous!

Of course I'll let you all know about how it goes.

How long will it be till they tell me if I've got the job or not?

I just hope that all this preparation does not go down the drain -I'll be so disheartened if i don't get the job :(
  • raiiiraiii
    FBaby wrote: »
    Don't worry too much, being yourself is most important than anything else. They won't expect you to know everything, they know you're 17. What they will expect is common sense, some understanding of when to take initiative and when to report to your boss, organisational skills, friendliness and enthuasiasm.

As stated above, the best way to prepare is to consider your experiences (work, but also at school and in your personal life) that you can use as example of you've applied different skills.

If you can show understanding of data protection, it would be a plus, not in reciting all the rules, but being able to show an understanding of why it is important and the consequences of not following the hospital policy.

Is this a FT job or will you do it alongside your A levels?

It's a job which I will do alongside my A Levels.
  • bagpussbear
    bagpussbear Posts: 847 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2017 at 6:53PM
    I work for an NHS employer (non-hospital), and sometimes participate on interview panels.

First question we ask is an ice breaker of tell us a bit about yourself/what you have been doing/why do you think this role is right for you.

Equality and Diversity is a strong theme in our organisation, and we always ask a question about that.

Expect questions about how you organise your own workload, how you deal with pressure, what steps would you do to prevent errors. If you are dealing with members of the public, there may be a question about dealing with difficult customers, or how you keep calm under pressure.

Definitely look up the Trust's values, commitments etc. We like to see that candidates have taken the time to look a little bit wider as to what the NHS is about and it's values etc.

Smile, be enthusiastic. If you don't understand a question, say so.

Have a question ready to ask at the end. If you go blank, ask about development opportunities.

Good luck!
  • raiiiraiii
    I work for an NHS employer (non-hospital), and sometimes participate on interview panels.

First question we ask is an ice breaker of tell us a bit about yourself/what you have been doing/why do you think this role is right for you.

Equality and Diversity is a strong theme in our organisation, and we always ask a question about that.

Expect questions about how you organise your own workload, how you deal with pressure, what steps would you do to prevent errors. If you are dealing with members of the public, there may be a question about dealing with difficult customers, or how you keep calm under pressure.

Definitely look up the Trust's values, commitments etc. We like to see that candidates have taken the time to look a little bit wider as to what the NHS is about and it's values etc.

Smile, be enthusiastic. If you don't understand a question, say so.

Have a question ready to ask at the end. If you go blank, ask about development opportunities.

Good luck!

Wow. Alot of valuable information there! I'll definitely be taking all this into account. Because you're someone who does occasionally participate in the panel for interviews, you obviously do know what you're talking about.

My interview panel will consist of two people: The team coordinator and the manager.

What I'm really scared about is what would happen if I slip up, stutter and panic in front of them. I mean, I'd be less nervous if there was only one person there but two people would be the death of me. And yet I'm the most confident and loud person I could think of. :rotfl:
  • fraserbooks
    fraserbooks Posts: 342 Forumite
    I used to be a nurse. I think NHS interviews are usually marked so make sure you treat it a bit like an exam. Think of it as a ten point question so say five things. Dress as you would for work. It helps if you look the part. If the job description gives a dress code take it as a hint what to wear for the interview. I would expect an equality and diversity question and a data protection one. Remember most data is computerised but talk a bit abou telephone confidentiality.

It is important to have a couple of questions ready. It is o.k. to ask about time off for study leave or other practical considerations. Remember last impressions are as important as first impressions. I remember once telling someone the interview was over and they ran out of the room like a startled rabbit.

I hope you get the job but if you don't ask if you could have some feed back for future use.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Forumite
    What I'm really scared about is what would happen if I slip up, stutter and panic in front of them. I mean, I'd be less nervous if there was only one person there but two people would be the death of me.
    You'd stop, take a breath, say "sorry that came out wrong, can I start again" or something similar.

Try to smile when you arrive. Speak clearly, looking at them not at the floor.

Equalities have been mentioned: make sure you know what the protected characteristics are, and think about how they might come into your role. And yes, safeguarding ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport