PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Comments

• I'm not feeling any better. I've come down with a cold and sore throat, it's that time of the month and I just want to cry.I've heard from dd and she's settling in nicely, her flatmates are all lovely, and she's going to be exploring and things tomorrow. I miss her. She was always so funny and supportive and helpful. I didn't realise how much I have relied on her since last December. She loves to cook so often made dinner which helped me a lot. But it's time for her to start out on her own and not have to look after me. I'm glad she got into the uni she wanted. I'm just not sure how I'm going to manage now. I have 4 left at home. 2 are 7 and 6.The other 2 are 15 and 13 and they do stuff around the house too but they're not as sensible and helpful. I feel so useless-it should be me helping the kids not the other way round. I should be happy and pleased that dd has gone to the university she wanted to not be sat here crying. I've also started new tablets for pain(alzain) and so far they're not helping. I have a huge mess in my living room and I am sat here looking at it because I don't know where to put anything.Some of it is dd's that she didn't want to take with her(Her younger sister moved into her room so that my son could have his own room and she was sleeping in the living room on a fold out sofa for a few weeks) and I have so little storage here it's ridiculous. The shed is full-that was meant to be a summer job that we tackled together but she was working pretty much full time over the summer so we never managed to do it. The garden is a mess-every time she was off it would rain so we never got round to it. I'm just really struggling on my own. The kids have homework and I just can't do it :( I'm sorry I'm just bringing everyone down here. I think it'd be better for me to leave.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • Toomuchdebt please don't leave - it sounds like you have a lot on your plate just now, and to top it off you have some kind of bug.
    Do you have someone in RL that you can talk to? If not, please visit your GP and talk to her/him, or a health visitor or the practice nurse. It sounds like no need a little support just now.
    Try and focus on what a good mum you are, with eldest off to the uni of her choice and your other children helpful, if a little young. Can the older ones help the younger ones with homework today? Otherwise send a note to school explaining that you've been ill this weekend. Make a cup of tea, clear a little space and sit and relax.
    Once the children are all in school tomorrow you can make a plan to do the essentials until you're feeling better, then add in one little extra thing to your daily routine and you'll soon be on top of things again.
    (((hugs))) WCS
  • Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I'm a lurker and rarely post but just had to say it would definitely not be better for you to leave. Everyone here wants to help you even if it's just by letting you pour out your feelings. Of course you're sad and scared, your whole life is undergoing a big change. I'm sure others will be along later to say the same thing. Don't go :)
  • Grinnie, I have a jarkey - it's excellent, breaks the seal on a jar so easy to open. I have a bit of stuff i go from OT - dycem which is really useful for gripping things too
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    toomuchdebt

Don't leave - the timing of everything has got on top of you and it will get better. Can you have an early night, a hot water bottle, a good book and a hot drink?

Hugs
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • TMD I hadn't noticed you were bringing the children up alone , sorry but I confess the thread has moved much faster than I imagined when I started that first post last Sunday lots of familiar faces but also new friends to get to know .
    I wish there had been somewhere safe and non- judgemental to express my fears and coping problems when I was raising my 4 alone .
    Please stay with us I'm not the only one on here who knows how you feel and has walked in those shoes . I always put some of my problems down to not having an outlet for my worries - I kept the worst from close family .
    I can't guarantee a perfect home and a perfect life , I have never managed that but while you are so sad and low it will help you to think there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't a train coming to get you !
    The posters on here are good with ideas and supportive words , old stylers can usually find a way and baby steps are the way for you right now . Dry those tears you've given your daughter the best start you can and one day you will be so glad you did . I know I am and I cried bucketloads .
    Have a gentle hug x
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • TMD - I wept buckets when my eldest son went to university - Sorry if it sounds indelicate but it was literally "gut wrenching" - I felt someone had a put a knife into my stomach and they just kept twisting it.

And at that time my husband was still alive and well, his illness wasnt even on the horizon. So goodness knows now you must feel being as a sole parent, having to face this alone and putting on a good show for your other children.

Try to console yourself on a job well done. She has left the nest and is ready to soar. All thanks to you, You did that. :D.

She will keep coming back, as sure as eggs is eggs.

Take it easy, be gentle and rest. Your body is in shock, be kind to yourself and try not to worry about the outstanding jobs. They can wait. Cuddle up with your other children, just enjoy being with them. They probably miss their "Big Sis". Get out the popcorn and snuggle down with your kids and watch a daft movie.
  • TMD My bottom line when everything changed was A roof over our heads . Somewhere to sleep , Clean clothes , Decent meals and that the children knew they were loved .
    Forget the shed for now . Get rid of the idea that you are wrong to expect the children to help out . Just as you prepared your daughter for uni you will prepare them for real life and that is the best gift you can give them . Superwoman does not exist . Make an appointment with your doctor . I had a fear of confiding I was finding the going hard but commonsense finally overcame that . You will get there but it takes time to reach this point and it takes time to find your way back .

Welcome to Empty Nester I love those lightbulb moments and that's a good one .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Toomuchdebt please don't leave. Our children going to uni is painful for lots of us mums. Look at my username! It's wrong, they came back. At times to stay and other times to visit but back they came and still do. Turns out our children love us and that's the most important thing. Be as gentle with yourself as you can and carry on loving your kids. The other things will wait. hugs xx
  • Oh so sorry, welcome emptynester - I got sidetracked from your post by TMD. Lovely to have you join us, I look forward to getting to *know* you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure