What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 16th April?

123457»

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 April 2018 at 7:30PM
    Afternoon all :)
    Been awol for a couple of days, busy weekend :)
    Visited DD1 and family yesterday - DD2 plus kids came too, baby managed to yell during both car journeys as usual :( But it was a lovely day, so nice to see little GD playing with her older cousins. :) Hopefully baby will grow out of it soon! He was very good while actually there, very smiley while awake and slept on me for a couple of hours in between.

Did a car boot sale this morning, which was a bit of a waste of time, as I made less than £20, worst I have ever done. Still, it was pleasant enough, sitting in a field with a flask of coffee in the sunshine :) Loaded the car up last night, not sure whether it would be on, as we had a terrific thunderstorm while I was loading it :eek:

Anyway, a nice weekend had for not much cost - bought picnic food to take with us to DD's, as we were spending the day outside. Everyone provided bits, and we all shared, which was nice :)

Not much else done -
    Sold a set of 3 garden pots on FB, after a lot of messing about :wall:Local FB selling sites here seem to be populated by people with very little to do except to say they want things that they are never going to collect :(
    Currently waiting in for a freecycler who was supposed to come at 3pm - not sure if she will turn up, which is annoying as I have carted the stuff she is supposed to be collecting round to the front of the house :mad: She turned up, a bit late, but never mind - large bundle of surplus garden canes has gone out of my life :T (I think those things breed here, but sadly not the long ones that are useful for the beans) :rotfl:
    Updated spending diary and spreadsheet, checked banks and got rid of receipts out of my handbag :T
    Got some turkey wings and drumsticks out of the freezer to cook for dinner, and have plenty of veg to go with it :)Done, enough meat left for tomorrow. OH has cut it off the bones, which are in the SC with some turkey giblets from the freezer, the leftover gravy, half a lurking onion, a carrot and a stick of celery to make a nice stock :) I am sure you all know this, but if you leave the skin on the onion, not only does it save having to peel it, but it gives a lovely golden colour to the stock :) Obvs wash it first, with the other vegetables.
    Sorted out fridge, grated some lurking cheese and put in freezer :)
    Unpacked boxes of unsold stuff from car and stacked in garage for when I can face doing another car boot - will try a different venue next time!
    Watered seedlings that needed it :)

Early night needed after an early start for the world's least profitable car boot sale :rotfl::rotfl:
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hi Sunday Savers,
    Hope everyone is feeling nicely relaxed. Another sunny day here, but much more comfortable temperature-wise. Still summer clothes & sandals, but not too hot to dig the garden. Today's efforts:
    *Leftover Quorn sausages in cobs for breakfast. Very sustaining for busy gardeners & car cleaners!
    *Finally sowed radishes and 2 troughs of spring onions. This has fallen off the list so many times....too cold, too hot, snowy, too wet, etc, etc. Good to get them done.
    *Weeded & dug over a large raised bed. Prepped a third of it for planting out my lettuces tomorrow & covered the rest with old carpet/recycled leaky airbed to keep it weed-free until I need it for planting out courgettes.
    *mr f tested hosepipe given to us by Mum, as she's just bought a new one - it may be 2nd hand but it is about 300 times better than our old one, which is now in the wheelie bin, so that's saved us a few quid for sure.
    *Used a box of oddments & trimmings from our last fresh fish delivery to make a fish pie for tonight. Parsley from the garden.
    *Two baths from 1 lot of hot water.
    *mr f cleaned & valeted the car himself - still using the big pack of products which we got when we bought the car.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch & work snacks.
    *Baked a wholemeal loaf.
    *All free leisure today - catch up with the new series of 'Salamander' - I loved the 1st series - read my book, which was a 50p charity shop find & I've also read a magazine from a big pile that was gifted to me.
    *Planted out my sweet peas - saved seed from last year, all sown into recycled take-away coffee cups, as they give such a nice deep root run.
    *Re-listed ebay items.
    OK, that's me for today. I have a clear week ahead with no meetings, which is fine by me, as I am intending to achieve loads.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Dawn W - Car boot sales can be so frustrating, can't they? We haven't done one for years, as the last one was such a trial! They really do attract the full gamut of folk from weird to truly off the wall, don't they? We had a chap visit our stall on our last one, he gathered up an armful of DVD boxsets & offered an absolutely p*sstakingly low price. I refused, so he looked at mr f to see if he was going to over-rule me! As it's the 21st century, this didn't happen. He returned about half an hour later & said as we hadn't sold them yet, he was making the (same) offer again, which presumably now I'd take. I said if I accepted that, I may as well just stand on a street corner & hand our stuff out for free!
    Oh, & there was the person who thought that the price I'd put on a vintage coffee table was extortionate & no way was he paying it...........I'd priced it at £3. Then the person who complained in really no uncertain terms that I was selling a coffee set with the coffee pot lid missing, & had a big moan at me in front of everyone. I enjoyed telling her that if she'd waited for me to get the whole coffee service out & unwrapped instead of helping herself to the contents of my car, she'd have found it had not only a lid, but also a sugar bowl & milk jug. Her answer? 'I didn't want it anyway'.
    I also remember saving a Denby 'Harlequin' tea-set for someone who said '£18 for all that?'. Please will you keep it for me, as that's really good & I love it. How naive of me! Stuck it on the back, told other people who asked it was saved for someone & of course, she never came back. In fact, I think I may still have that tea-set in the loft! I did have one successful sale from someone peering in our car windows to see what was in there while we were setting up.....
    "How much is yer caravan toilet, love?"
    Me: "It's not a caravan toilet, it's a washing machine".
    "I'll take it".
    So, yes, we haven't done a car boot for years. I wouldn't say 'never again' but I think I'd be doing it on my own!
    F
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • DawnW wrote: »
    :wall:Local FB selling sites here seem to be populated by people with very little to do except to say they want things that they are never going to collect :(

!!!!!!!g tell me about it. I had one chap say he was going to turn up 4 TIMES and fail to. Not even a "sorry I can't make it" - just a no show.

Sold it to someone else in the end. Idiot.

hahahaha MSE censors Fr!gging :rotfl:
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just checking in to say hi and I'm still alive.

Been awake 24 hours....but the money is good having changed job.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Hi guys :D what a glorious day it's been here! Really hot, at times I've had to sit in the shade.

Ha ha on the bootfair topic, I'll throw in my 2 pence worth :D I love a boot fair and I always think about if the price being asked is fair to me and the seller. I do expect things to be cheap at the bootfair. I'll ask what the price is, if I think it's fair then I'll pay it. I never want to screw the price down so it's unfair to the seller, I don't think that's right. If I think the price is too high and I want it I'll try to haggle. If it's something that's just caught my eye then I'll just put it down.

I went to the bootfair today and got a great pair of jeans - £1.50, no need to haggle that's more than fair! - a maxi dress, a smart jacket, a demin jacket, a cardi, a crop jumper and a top. I saw 3 heart cookie cutters and the woman wanted £1.50. I offered her £1 which I thought was fair but she wanted the extra 50p so I walked on by :D

I then went to the allotment with my friend. We dug over a large bed and planted beetroot. We also partially weeded 2 of the strawberry beds. arranged to go back down there on Thursday with a semi plan of what's next :D picked purple sprouting broccoli & more swedes :D

Have been pottering at home and sorting out our kitchen - we really need to give our whole house a spring clean!

dinner was a rubber chicken, veg & lo couscous concoction. It was very nice too!

Still to do:

* clothes, lunches, bags ready for tomorrow
    * cook, cool and freeze swede
    * tidy up garden
    * I think a hot tub is in order!
    * maybe finish my dressmaker's form :D picked up additional pillow (for stuffing) and electrical take from bootfair
    * early night I'm tired!
    * make overnight oats
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Loving the car boot stories :rotfl::rotfl:
    I think my best one today was a very strident upper class sounding lady who was only prepared to pay 50p (as opposed to £1) for a large bundle of garden canes - yes, more of the things! Probably more than £10 worth if you bought them from the garden centre. I let her have them for the 50p to avoid bringing them home again, but had to glare at OH (always a reluctant and grumpy car booter who insists on coming along anyway) who muttered 'stingy old c*w' rather less quietly than I would have preferred:rotfl::rotfl:

It was a funny old car boot, lots of people there but few buyers, if that makes sense. All the sellers round me (all selling very different types of things) agreed it was their worst for ages, and lots of stall holders were packing up and leaving early. I think the only trader who did well was the burger van, as almost everyone wandering past seemed to be empty handed apart from the fact that they were eating one of their evil smelling products :eek:

Ally, did I read it right that you have changed your job?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure