No running water at home!

Options
Darkangel
Darkangel Posts: 523 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 June 2017 at 5:48PM in Energy
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post but I haven't had running water in my flat for coming up to 2 days.

There was a burst water main in our basement which was reported by one of the other residents in my building on Friday (we didn't have water then either). Someone came out and "fixed" it and we had running water over the weekend but the leak in the basement was not fixed.

Our block lost water again yesterday afternoon. The housing association brought round some drinking water to each flat as a temp measure and we were told the part that was needed to fix the problem would arrive today. That said we still don't have water and it looks like we're not going to until tomorrow now (I'll believe it when I see it). They are bringing around more drinking water but that's not much help when we need water to cook, clean, bathe, flush the toilet etc.

What are our rights? Should they be supplying more than drinking water? Their website says any major fault should be repaired in 1 working day but it's been longer than that now.

I can just about survive on the water the HA have supplied me (but it does mean I'll HAVE to go to the gym now to use the shower :( ), but it's going to be harder on the other residents that have families and small children.

Comments

• pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    Darkangel wrote: »
    Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post but I haven't had running water in my flat for coming up to 2 days.

There was a burst water main in our basement which was reported by one of the other residents in my building on Friday (we didn't have water then either). Someone came out and "fixed" it and we had running water over the weekend but the leak in the basement was not fixed.

Our block lost water again yesterday afternoon. The housing association brought round some drinking water to each flat as a temp measure and we were told the part that was needed to fix the problem would arrive today. That said we still don't have water and it looks like we're not going to until tomorrow now (I'll believe it when I see it). They are bringing around more drinking water but that's not much help when we need water to cook, clean, bathe, flush the toilet etc.

What are our rights? Should they be supplying more than drinking water? Their website says any major fault should be repaired in 1 working day but it's been longer than that now.

I can just about survive on the water the HO have supplied me (but it does mean I'll HAVE to go to the gym now to use the shower :( ), but it's going to be harder on the other residents that have families and small children.

I remember about 10 years ago, there were hundreds of thousands of people left without running water in Glocestershire - that went on for about 2 weeks.

The army were called in to distribute drinking water to those affected.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jul/24/weather.world4

If I recall correctly, many months later, Severn Trent (the water supplier to the area) provided a small rebate to those affected ... effectively so they were not paying for the period they were without running water.

Your situation seems different if its the HA that is supplying drinking water - sounds like the failure is on the HA land, and hence their responsibility.
  • Darkangel
    Options
    pooch wrote: »
    I remember about 10 years ago, there were hundreds of thousands of people left without running water in Glocestershire - that went on for about 2 weeks.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jul/24/weather.world4

If I recall correctly, many months later, Severn Trent (the water supplier to the area) provided a small rebate to those affected ... effectively so they were not paying for the period they were without running water.

Your situation seems different if its the HA that is supplying drinking water - sounds like the failure is on the HA land, and hence their responsibility.

Hi, it is the HA responsibility but as it's going to be 2 days without water should they be doing more than just supplying a few litres of water to all the residents? Should we be asking for compensation too?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you asked for more water?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Compensation for what? Because you couldn't have a shower for one day? If your supply is metered, you aren't paying for any usage during the disconnection period anyway. Your only quantifiable loss is the daily standing charge.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Darkangel
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Compensation for what? Because you couldn't have a shower for one day? If your supply is metered, you aren't paying for any usage during the disconnection period anyway. Your only quantifiable loss is the daily standing charge.

I was merely asking if the housing association should be doing more or if we had any rights for being without water for 2 days. I wasn't asking what level of compensation we should be getting.

Yes, the building is metered and I doubt there will be any rebate from Thames Water as it wasn't their responsibility to fix the problem. But again, I was asking about what the housing association should be doing, not the water supplier. My block of flats have had various problems with our housing association doing less than the bare minimum to maintain the building and our safety so just wanted to check we weren't being shafted.

Anyway, the water is back on. Thanks for the help...
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Darkangel wrote: »
    I was merely asking if the housing association should be doing more or if we had any rights for being without water for 2 days. I wasn't asking what level of compensation we should be getting.

Yes, the building is metered and I doubt there will be any rebate from Thames Water as it wasn't their responsibility to fix the problem. But again, I was asking about what the housing association should be doing, not the water supplier. My block of flats have had various problems with our housing association doing less than the bare minimum to maintain the building and our safety so just wanted to check we weren't being shafted.

Anyway, the water is back on. Thanks for the help...

Er, yes you did: 'should we be asking for compensation too?' Glad it's now sorted.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you a bucket & cat litter (or at least better plans) for future water shortages?
    If you know the water will go off, you can fill the bath to flush from & fill appropriate bottles for drinking from & check out local swimming pools, gyms & possibly even workplaces for somewhere to shower.

These things can be a nasty shock when they happen, but knowledge means you can get around problems more easily.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    pooch wrote: »

They had Bowsers in the street too, but the vandals smashed the taps off them.
  • clarice1981
    Options
    umm well it's not just lack of a shower is it? it's not being able to do anything that requires water, flushing toilet , washing, brushing teeth, washing dishes, wasing clothes, need I go on...
  • societys_child
    Options
    umm well it's not just lack of a shower is it? it's not being able to do anything that requires water, flushing toilet , washing, brushing teeth, washing dishes, wasing clothes, need I go on...
    So what do you suggest?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport