Hastings car insurance cancelled after paying in full

Options

Comments

• alex373208
    alex373208 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    rs65 wrote: »
    If you initially paid by card, they could probably just take the additional premium, funds permitting.

Not necessarily, the Insurer would be bound by the terms and conditions of card provider
  • alex373208
    Options
    For anyone reading this in the future, the view of the insurer who cancelled cover is irrelevant. Any future insurer decides what is important to them. For example, some insurers don't like past cancellations due to non-payment. Fraud is not the only cancellation reason that needs to be declared.

Pay no attention to what this poster says

No need to declare a cancellation for any other reason than fraud

Many insurers won't like to take on someone that has a history of failing to pay, unfortunately for them they can't use this reason to refuse to insure or push the price up

If you are in any doubt take professional advice rather than listen to me, Hastings and Direct Line
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alex373208 wrote: »
    If you are in any doubt take professional advice rather than listen to me, Hastings and Direct Line

I work for one of the insurers you have mentioned in your post, and you are wrong.

The law states that you have to take reasonable care to answer all questions asked.

So if the question is have you had insurance cancelled due to fraud, then you say no. If the question is have you ever had insurance cancelled... you have to say yes. Because otherwise you're deliberately lying, which can then lead to further policies being cancelled due to non disclosure.
  • ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    Pay no attention to what this poster says

No need to declare a cancellation for any other reason than fraud

Many insurers won't like to take on someone that has a history of failing to pay, unfortunately for them they can't use this reason to refuse to insure or push the price up

However even when finding Hastings at fault, the FSA stated:

"However, all affected customers suffered inconvenience from Hastings' decisions to cancel the insurance policies and there may be a continuing detrimental effect on the affected customers in that they are now obliged to declare, when seeking new insurance, that they have previously had insurance cancelled. Hastings' customers may, therefore, experience difficulty in obtaining future insurance, or even pay increased premiums, despite the cancellation being through no fault on their part"
  • alex373208
    edited 16 July 2017 at 7:36PM
    Options
    FutureGirl wrote: »
    I work for one of the insurers you have mentioned in your post, and you are wrong.

The law states that you have to take reasonable care to answer all questions asked.

So if the question is have you had insurance cancelled due to fraud, then you say no. If the question is have you ever had insurance cancelled... you have to say yes. Because otherwise you're deliberately lying, which can then lead to further policies being cancelled due to non disclosure.

No you are wrong, I am merely repeating what Sarah (a senior complaint handler at Hastings) and a customer service advisor at Direct Line told me

I'm more likely to take notice of them than poster 'rs65' who seems to like to make an uninformed guess about things. Or someone that alleges to be with an insurance company, but won't say which one, or in what capacity

If something doesn't have to be declared you can't be accused of lying. What's the reason for the secrecy in failing to say which insurance company you are with?
  • alex373208
    edited 16 July 2017 at 8:04PM
    Options
    ilikewatch wrote: »
    However even when finding Hastings at fault, the FSA stated:

"However, all affected customers suffered inconvenience from Hastings' decisions to cancel the insurance policies and there may be a continuing detrimental effect on the affected customers in that they are now obliged to declare, when seeking new insurance, that they have previously had insurance cancelled. Hastings' customers may, therefore, experience difficulty in obtaining future insurance, or even pay increased premiums, despite the cancellation being through no fault on their part"

What's this, a clip from a story? What's the source? Where's the rest of it?

Doesn't say what the cancellations were for, proves nothing.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a look at Direct Line's FAQs

Have had insurance cancelled by an insurer, this includes a policy declared null and void (as though it has never existed), a renewal declined by an insurer or a policy cancelled by an insurer due to, but not restricted to, non-payment, fraud or misrepresentation;
  • alex373208
    edited 17 July 2017 at 9:08AM
    Options
    Have a look at Direct Line's FAQs

Have had insurance cancelled by an insurer, this includes a policy declared null and void (as though it has never existed), a renewal declined by an insurer or a policy cancelled by an insurer due to, but not restricted to, non-payment, fraud or misrepresentation;

People seem to be missing the point here, I am just repeating what was told to me. I don't claim to be an expert, or know it all like some seem to be on this site

I am more inclined to take notice of someone that works in insurance, but who knows, maybe they are wrong and someone on here that doesn't work in insurance knows better

One thing I can tell you for 100% is I won't be declaring my cancellation. If I ever found myself in court over it I would quote the name of the company and person that gave me the information

I suppose someone is going to tell me I would still be liable for prosecution right?

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2017 at 9:08AM
    Options
    I would suggest that anyone reading this thread should consider the posting history of the people who are saying that the insurer's question about cancellation is what matters compared to someone who makes an unverifiable claim based on what he says he was told by one person at a broker and one (unnamed) at one insurer. Or do as advised by several respected forum members, and ask the prospective insurer to clarify. Taking the OP's advice is liable to land you with an ongoing higher insurance premium.
  • ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    What's this, a clip from a story? What's the source? Where's the rest of it?

Doesn't say what the cancellations were for, proves nothing.

Not really sure that it matters what the cancellations were for, they presumably weren't for fraud if the cancellation was "through no fault on their part"

Anyway, see 2.3 (c):

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/final-notices/hastings.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiiusz4xo7VAhWsJsAKHRhCAGEQFggfMAA&usg=AFQjCNHOZtzI8RcUOZ9GvzecaP7Z7k1evg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure