Advice on requesting tree removal

Comments

• steve1ae
    steve1ae Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The problem is that they are very close to a greenhouse and do block out some sunlight. More importantly, we have children who love to play in the garden

get rid of the green house if it is a safety hazard.

Are you suggesting I should go to the trouble and expense of moving a large greenhouse due to the school's inability to maintain their trees?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    steve1ae wrote: »
    Are you suggesting I should go to the trouble and expense of moving a large greenhouse due to the school's inability to maintain their trees?

You knew the trees were there when you bought the house.

You knew the greenhouse was shaded by the trees when you bought the house.
  • steve1ae
    Mojisola wrote: »
    If you are so concerned, why on earth did you buy this house?

At the very least, you could have talked to the school about the trees before agreeing to the sale.

If the school refuses to do anything - even if you offer to pay - are you going to move again or keep your children indoors all the time?

I came on here looking for advice on how best to approach requesting tree removal. Nothing else.
  • steve1ae
    You knew the trees were there when you bought the house.

You knew the greenhouse was shaded by the trees when you bought the house.

Where have I said the greenhouse is shaded?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think the best, amicable outcome will be that you request permission to have their trees reduced in height and access to do so, at your expense.
    steve1ae wrote: »
    I came on here looking for advice on how best to approach requesting tree removal. Nothing else.

AD gave you the advice you need.

The forum is open to anyone to voice their opinion - you can't control replies.

You may get a better response from the school if you start negotiations with a different attitude - starting out by telling them that their trees are going to hurt their children may push them into a harder position. They are likely to come back at you with the question of why you bought the house if you were concerned about the trees!
  • steve1ae
    I've edited the post to keep it simple
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I think the best, amicable outcome will be that you request permission to have their trees reduced in height and access to do so, at your expense. This is a good time of year to do it if you manage to get in touch because presumably it would be tricky during term time. Schools have no money and the school has no obligation to maintain the trees' height at a certain point, unless they are unsafe, which they won't be at that height. You are allowed to trim back width to your boundary but to take off height requires their consent.
    Schools do have money, including the school fund, typically boosted by parents via the PTA. Regardless of the actual 'pot,' the school will be liable for grounds maintenance

Some of those parents will probably be close neighbours of the OP, and they wouldn't be too delighted to see 'their' money being spent on a project like tree reduction.

For that reason, it would be politic to offer to fund the reduction and distinctly more likely that it would be allowed to take place.

It's probably too late for this year, as such matters would need discussion with governors etc....and they're probably all on holiday prior to term ending and prices shooting-up!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 July 2017 at 11:53AM
    I see this has become a little contentious since I started my last post (electrician in the house and I'm assisting as & when:eek:) so I will just add that schools are normally very receptive to working with their immediate neighbours.
  • steve1ae
    AD gave you the advice you need.

The forum is open to anyone to voice their opinion - you can't control replies.

You may get a better response from the school if you start negotiations with a different attitude - starting out by telling them that their trees are going to hurt their children may push them into a harder position. They are likely to come back at you with the question of why you bought the house if you were concerned about the trees!

Ad did give me great advice and I'm very grateful. Of course you're welcome to voice your opinion but you're offering suggestions to problems I haven't identified.

That's the very reason why I started this thread - to get advice on how best to approach the school. Of course I'm not going to approach them with an attitude. I mentioned the children in an effort to provide some background as to why I was even considering approaching the school.
  • steve1ae
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Schools do have money, including the school fund, typically boosted by parents via the PTA. Regardless of the actual 'pot,' the school will be liable for grounds maintenance

Some of those parents will probably be close neighbours of the OP, and they wouldn't be too delighted to see 'their' money being spent on a project like tree reduction.

For that reason, it would be politic to offer to fund the reduction and distinctly more likely that it would be allowed to take place.

It's probably too late for this year, as such matters would need discussion with governors etc....and they're probably all on holiday prior to term ending and prices shooting-up!

Thank-you very much
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport