Day Trip to London

Options
I have taken advantage of the Virgin Train seat sale and booked a day trip to London. Can anyone assist with the following?

We will arrive at Euston, best way to get into central London from here? (Not sure which tube line I need etc or where to get it from)

We will probably start off in Oxford Street area for a quick mooch around the shops. Any suggestions of where to go or things to see/do that are nearby or close to get to from here? Although I love museums etc I realise that one day isn't really enough time for that so I'll save them for another trip :-) This trip will probably be more of a sightseeing one with a bit of eating and drinking thrown in.

How do I get about on the tube? Can I pay by card or do I need to buy an Oyster Card or something? How do these work and where do I get one from?

Lastly, roughly how long does it take to get back to Euston from somewhere central, I need to work out how long I need to leave to get back for the train home on time. I don't really want to be hanging round the station for an hour or running for the train!

Thanks!
:p

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The tube accepts cash (more expensive), Oystercards or contactless debit cards. Buses, the latter two only-no cash fares. So in your case, contactless is best.
    Euston to Oxford Circus is just 2 stops southbound on the Victoria line: about 5 minutes. But allow longer to catch your return train, if in the rush hour: the tube can be extremely busy then.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    contactless card on the tube guide

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ~Beanie~ wrote: »
    We will probably start off in Oxford Street area for a quick mooch around the shops.

Horses for courses, but if I had just one day in london I personally wouldn't spend it in Oxford Street - it's mainly the same old chain stores you see in every major city in the country but much more crowded (and with more chance of getting your pocket picked).

If you really must visit shops, go to the ones you don't find anywhere else, such as Harrods (next to Knightsbridge tube), or Fortnums and Masons and Liberty (both near Picadilly circus tube)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 July 2017 at 6:15PM
    Options
    We will arrive at Euston, best way to get into central London from here? (Not sure which tube line I need etc or where to get it from)
    A tube map would help.
    Try this one: London Tube Map.
    Victoria Line from Euston to Oxford Circus.
    How do I get about on the tube? Can I pay by card or do I need to buy an Oyster Card or something? How do these work and where do I get one from?
    Use a contactless payment card is simplest for a one day trip. Please say if children are travelling.,
    Lastly, roughly how long does it take to get back to Euston from somewhere central, I need to work out how long I need to leave to get back for the train home on time. I don't really want to be hanging round the station for an hour or running for the train!
    This wacky tube map shows journey times.
    For example, it indicates that a journey from Euston to Oxford Circus on the Northern Line takes four minutes. You need to add to that getting to the platform from the street, waiting for the train and getting out of the destination station. I allow fifteen minutes for that journey, but if you are unfamiliar with Euston Station layout you might want to allow 5/10 minutes for finding your platform/train.
  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Horses for courses, but if I had just one day in london I personally wouldn't spend it in Oxford Street - it's mainly the same old chain stores you see in every major city in the country but much more crowded (and with more chance of getting your pocket picked).

If you really must visit shops, go to the ones you don't find anywhere else, such as Harrods (next to Knightsbridge tube), or Fortnums and Masons and Liberty (both near Picadilly circus tube)
    That's probably a good point - likely to be the same shops we've got in our local city centre! I like your idea better :-)

There are no children travelling, just me and my OH. Train back home is at 8pm so hopefully no rush hour at that time.

I will have a look at the links you have all provided, thanks very much.
    :p
  • gonebust
    gonebust Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    I too would head towards Harrods. , you could spend hours there, the food hall alone is a work of art :). Grab something lovely for lunch and go eat in the park before jumping on a no 9 to trafalger square. Pictures taken, walk up either to Buck house or to Leicester Square. From Buck house it's a quick walk to HoP and Westminster bridge where you get the most beautiful view up the river. Leicester Square and you can head on to Covent Garden and St. Paul's.

Contactless card for travel on busses and tubes
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That's probably a good point - likely to be the same shops we've got in our local city centre! I like your idea better :-)

Euston and Kings Cross St Pancras are close together, so to get to Harrods by tube it would be quickest to walk from Euston to Kings Cross and then get the Piccadilly Line straight to Knightsbridge.

Also when using the tube, be aware that Euston Square station on the Circle line is also just 100 yards across the road from Euston mainline station, so is a sensible alternative to Euston if wanting to travel on the circle line.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    When I go to London I walk everywhere. I would rather stay above ground than below it. There is an excellent site for walking London.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I'd avoid Harrods, it's just another shop!
    Stompa
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Catch the bus instead - cheaper, very regular service, you see things and you can get off early if you see something of interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure