Dreaming of a life after debt

Munchin
Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
edited 29 January 2018 at 9:53AM in Debt free diaries
Hello :)

It is a very lazy Sunday here and I've decided to start a new diary because my motivation had slipped from the old one. I also think health wise I've moved on a bit as I'm (whisper) fully recovered and don't want to dwell on eating issues. However, although I have made amazing progress in one area of my life I still haven't slayed that debt dragon ... which is the purpose of this new diary and starting with a clean slate :D.

I should probably have named my diary 'Stop bleeding frittering' but that was a bit harsh, so sticking with dreaming of a life after debt. The plan is to slay the dragon of debt on this diary & be honest with my frittering but what I really hope to achieve is a [STRIKE]annilation[/STRIKE] reduction:o of frittering which is my biggest issue.

I use YNAB which is for me the best budgeting tool ever :).

Ok scary biscuits part - SOA & debt

SOA

Income - £2083

Outgoings:

Groceries: £120
Entertainment: £45
General: £30
Work: £50
Health/Beauty/Exercise: £100
Donations: £15
Pet: £20
Diesel: £100
Monthly bills: £400 (rates/rent/tv etc)
Gifts/Xmas: £100
Clothes:£50
Annual: £100 (car, insurance, oil)
Savings: £600
Debt: £350

Total: £2080

Debt

Car - £4872
Credit card - £1129:o:o

Total: £6001

** Update: Debt free - 29 January 2018

Comments

• dionysia
    dionysia Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hello! 'Stop bleeding frittering' would be a good name for my diary too! :) It's so easy to buy something here, something there, and get home and realise I've spent lots. Well done on tackling your eating issues, I'm sure with all that willpower to redirect to your debt it will be soon sorted too! You're doing really well with nearly 25% of your income tucked away for savings.
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    June 2018: owe £13,263.
  • Munchin
    I have very little plans today but aiming big for tomorrow :)

Plan for tomorrow (normally work but on leave:))
    • Gym at 10
    • Weed garden at front (hated job)
    • Volunteer at credit union at 1pm -2.30
    • Prepare lunch/clothes for work on Tues
    • Sort out hire car details (going to visit sis & new nephew on Friday in England)
    • Volunteer Board meeting at 8pm & draft minutes
    • Surveys

Busy week ahead - I was re-elected as Secretary for my running club so I have a meeting at lunchtime Wed + minutes. I have 2 volunteer Board meetings during the week + minutes... sigh. On Friday I'm heading over to England to visit wee sister & her new baby.. I can't wait :D. Other sister & her 2 kids are also coming so it will be a bit mad :) but happy mad.
  • Munchin
    Thanks Dionysia,

Basically the world is set up to make it so easy for us to fritter.. go into shop for 1 thing & come out with 10 :o:o. I bought Allen Carr's Get out of Debt book this week - yes I know I frittered.. :o but hopefully it will change my habit.

*subscribed to your diary - Good luck :wave:
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Happy new diary :D
  • Munchin
    edited 27 June 2017 at 9:05PM
    June spends

Sun 25th - NSD
    Mon 26th - £17.16 (Hair dye, Halfords & Tesco)
    Tues 27th - £7.98 Disney store & £20 refund
    Wed 28th -
    Thurs 29th -
    Fri 30th - (England)

Savings needed for...
    • Maldives (dream holiday)

Shopping list (list here to delay spend &/or get cheapest price)
    • Sat nav (borrow OH)
    • Dash camera
    • Hair dye (now a necessity :o but sister does my hair for free for babysitting so not too bad)

Gift card balances
    • £17.73 - Amazon (want to use voucher for dashcam)
    • £20 Next
    • £39.59 Topcashback (Pending not confirmed)
  • Munchin
    Evening:)

OH & I went for dinner at Ballygawley Castle which has 1 of 10 Game of Throne doors into their restaurant. Gorgeous meal & evening finished with a dander round gardens & on the beach. It cost us nothing as OH had gift vouchers from his family :).

Back to porridge tmw ...
  • Munchin
    edited 29 July 2017 at 5:57PM
    Munchin wrote: »
    • [STRIKE]Gym at 10
      [/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Weed garden at front (hated job)[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Volunteer at credit union at 1pm -2.30
      [/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Prepare lunch/clothes for work on Tues
      [/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Sort out hire car details (going to visit sis & new nephew on Friday in England)
      [/STRIKE]
    • Volunteer Board meeting at 8pm & draft minutes
    • Surveys

Hi all

I have been so busy today but happy to get so much done of my list:). I turned up to the gym but my gym buddy didn't so didn't push it:o.

I spent £5.13 in Tesco, £3.49 in Halfords (necessity) and £8.54 on hair dye which I know I can get cheaper but I couldn't remember the colour I normally get so after the poor girl spent ages checking and comparing I felt I had to buy it. On the good money news I cancelled a mag subscription and I have a £20 top I'm returning tomorrow which I bought last week because it was in the sale....can do better...

As well as most of the things on my list I have updated a policy for my voluntary group, updated banking details, ironed clothes (hate, hate, hate it) and tidied the house a wee bit. I still have to cut the hedge, strim the lane and poison some weeds but I will not a get a chance now until next Tuesday if it stays dry.

I don't normally have this much energy but maybe getting back to the list is inspiring me.

I have checked some annual payment dates which are -
    • Car Tax - £30 - due 01 July 2018
    • MOT - £30.50 test + costs to prepare car - due 12 Sept 2017
    • Car Insurance - due 07 April 2018 - £400
    • Service due - 58000 miles

If I get home from voluntary group early I might even attempt a draft set of minutes but more than likely I will just go to bed. I want to get early train tomorrow (6.45am) because I haven't been in work properly since last Monday (training courses & some leave).I think tomorrow will be a heavy day of reading emails and playing catch up. Other than that no exciting plans.
  • Munchin
    Hi

I managed to get my minutes typed up last night so that is 1 set done and 2 sets to do tomorrow.

Busy day today, I caught the 6.45 am train and then was home at 7pm. Work was totally manic with the most random pieces of work coming in so I didn't really catch up on anything.

Money front - I took a top back and got a £20 refund but then I spent £7.98 in the Disney store :o. I'm heading to see sister on Friday and you can't turn up empty handed with a toddler waiting to see you :).

I go out for lunch around pay day with a colleague and we take it in turns to buy lunch. It's my turn tomorrow and it is only once a month but it soon adds up and I doubt if I will have more than 1 NSD day this week.

As well as watching the pennies I'm trying to be more organised as I have a memory like a sieve. I've started using my notes pad on my phone because I have various things pop into my head throughout the day & now I'm managing to get them done.

Sister did my hair tonight and now I'm fairly certain that the colour isn't right but it usually takes a few days for the colour to calm down so maybe I just have to avoid mirrors and wait a few days before it looks a bit more natural. You couldn't miss me at the moment :o.

Plans tomorrow-
    • surveys
    • check banking (salary should be in)
    • lunch out
    • Running club meeting & minutes
    • Volunteer meeting & minutes
  • dionysia
    dionysia Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm sure your hair is lovely! :) wrt the toddler and the friend, I think these habits are some of the hardest things to deal with when trying to save money. It's not very nice thinking about having to say to my nephews 'sorry no toys today' or to my friend I usually go out for a big Sunday dinner with that I can't. I'm trying to be a bit more frugal with things like that rather than cut them all together - maybe you could find a voucher for a restaurant to take your friend to?
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    June 2018: owe £13,263.
  • Munchin
    Hi

Thanks Dionysia - It is a difficult one because I feel that I have a good job & it is expected so it will be a work in progress. Sister borrowed £50 of me recently and I know she used to struggle in the past and I got into a habit of forgetting about anything I gave to her but now I'm not being as [STRIKE]door mattish [/STRIKE]....generous:).

Spends - very little frittering which I'm quite pleased about. I have such a mad busy day before I fly to England and I shouldn't really be on the diary but I needed a cup of tea and a list of jobs to keep me focused.

To Do
    • gym
    • hairdressers
    • 3 sets of minutes (happy to get 2 done & away & 3rd one drafted
    • head to family members graduation ceremony this pm
    • pack
    • clean out car.

I have the gym, hairdressers & 2 sets of minutes done. I better go get showered and iron a frock for the graduation at 2pm. After that I could squeeze in the 2nd set of minutes & packing. I have to be at airport at 8pm.

The minutes, cleaning out car might have to wait until I come back from England but really hope to get minutes drafted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure