Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    symphony63 wrote: »
    Let me just put this straight, yes, the UA flight was cancelled the same day as of travel.
    The UA flight was scheduled for 18:00 and they booked me on a VS flight at 17:30, which is within the 1 hour, scheduled to arrive approximately the same time as the original UA flight. That the VS flight subsequently had a delay is really out of UA's hands. And the delay was 3hrs 42 min. Or maybe it's just UA's bad luck and I should claim from UA.
    In that case your claim is against VS for the delay, unless the delay was caused by an EC. Check and online company eg Botts to see if compensation for the VS flight is due.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JPears wrote: »
    In that case your claim is against VS for the delay, unless the delay was caused by an EC. Check and online company eg Botts to see if compensation for the VS flight is due.

No it's not (unless I have misunderstood the facts). As UA specifically rerouted the OP onto this VS plane, the liability for any delay remains with the airline that arranged the re-routing - not the new airline carrying them. You never paid a fare to Virgin, and only paying passengers qualify for compensation in any case.
  • JPears
    I'm not sure the regulations specifically cover this occurrence?
    OP may have to take legal action against both for a resolution of this possible conundrum?

• Vauban
    JPears wrote: »
    I'm not sure the regulations specifically cover this occurrence?
    OP may have to take legal action against both for a resolution of this possible conundrum?

I don't think so - I think it is straightforward. Article 5 spells out the rules regarding rerouting and the entitlement to compensation from the original cancelled airline if the replacement air service does not allow the passenger "to reach their final destination less than two hours after the [original] scheduled time of arrival."

You could argue that the obligation is for the airline to put you on a plane scheduled to land no later than two hours after the original arrival time, but the Regs don't say this.

The OP was rerouted onto an alternative plane, but the delays meant this this did not allow him to reach his destination within two hours. So compensation is justified as a consequence of UA's obligations under Article 5 ("Cancellation").

There is no claim from VS, as he never bought a ticket. I think Article 3 paras 3 and 5 would give Virgin a clear defence from any claim brought.
  • Vauban wrote: »
    I don't think so - I think it is straightforward. Article 5 spells out the rules regarding rerouting and the entitlement to compensation from the original cancelled airline if the replacement air service does not allow the passenger "to reach their final destination less than two hours after the [original] scheduled time of arrival."
    What about Article 7 Chapter 2 (c),
    (c) by four hours, in respect of all flights not falling under (a) or (b),
    the operating air carrier may reduce the compensation provided for in paragraph 1 by 50 %
    When is it 4 hours and when 2 hours?
    You could argue that the obligation is for the airline to put you on a plane scheduled to land no later than two hours after the original arrival time, but the Regs don't say this
    The OP was rerouted onto an alternative plane, but the delays meant this this did not allow him to reach his destination within two hours. So compensation is justified as a consequence of UA's obligations under Article 5 ("Cancellation")..
    But they did re-route me on a flight within the 1 hour limit, so is it either within 1 hour or to arrive before 2 hours? or does it have to be both within 1 hour to arrive no later than 2 hours after original arrival time? This case is within 1 hour but actually arrived later than 2 hours. Or you could argue, true, UA rerouted me within 1 hour but the flight actually left 4 hours later and arrived more than 3 hours later so they are liable under Reg 261.
    There is no claim from VS, as he never bought a ticket. I think Article 3 paras 3 and 5 would give Virgin a clear defence from any claim brought.
    I think you have a point there. Also, these Regs actually put the burden on UA as the travel contract is still with them.
  • Vauban
    Article 5 determines the right to compensation in light of cancellation, while Article 7 is about the amount of compensation due in these circumstances.

So 5.2.c says you are due compensation if the rerouted flight is more than an hour early on departure or two hours later on arrival than the original scheduled timings (and both conditions apply - note the use of the word "and" in the regs). And 7.2.c notes that, for flights longer than 3,500km, your compensation is halved (to €300) if you arrive between 2 and 4 hours late.
  • JPears
    edited 11 November 2016 at 9:06AM
    Your claim against UA (via the VS flight) is probably for the delay of the flight in reaching your destination, not the cancellation (as they rerouted you within the specified time frames). Although the cancellation arguement is effective as the rerouted flight was delayed .
    I think in your claim you need to make clear that you are claiming a single compensation on both counts to cover all the bases!

• So, as I understand it now is that either or I am not entitled to more than €300.
  • JPears
    How long is your flight in km s?

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    symphony63 wrote: »
    So, as I understand it now is that either or I am not entitled to more than €300.

what was the scheduled arrival time of the cancelled UA flight and the actual arrival time of the VS flight...might be simpler looking at arrival times rather than departure given the VS delay
    Claim to UA...."I had a flight cancelled that was due to get me to x at XX:XX, you rebooked me on a flight that arrived at YY:YY"
    If that is up to 4 hours late then the compensation is €300, if over 4 hours then it is €600
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback