Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    You sound like a really committed music teacher - lucky students!
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It's not just the little ones who get tired, youngest son who is in his final year of A levels, is also exhausted and looking forward to the half term.

His workload is absolutely massive at the moment and on top of that, he is doing his uni prep (portfolio, personal statement etc) plus he has this mad idea of trying to fit a part time job in there somewhere, no idea where it would fit though or where he would find the energy for it!

So far, the only thing we have planned for the half term week is right at the end, an open day visit to Lincoln university.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Great advice thank you Alex. I gave found another teacher who will give individual lessons and I think dd will really get along with her. Dd tells me she isnt even being observed whilst she plays.

I used to play violin but not to a high standard and only on a ceap violin! I do appreciate music though. The new tutor is part of a music school where they have concerts I think dd will enjoy.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    You sound like a really committed music teacher - lucky students!

Thank you, I try my best to be. :)
    SingleSue wrote: »
    It's not just the little ones who get tired, youngest son who is in his final year of A levels, is also exhausted and looking forward to the half term.

His workload is absolutely massive at the moment and on top of that, he is doing his uni prep (portfolio, personal statement etc) plus he has this mad idea of trying to fit a part time job in there somewhere, no idea where it would fit though or where he would find the energy for it!

So far, the only thing we have planned for the half term week is right at the end, an open day visit to Lincoln university.

The A Level years are always difficult. What's he hoping to study?

It's a very long time since I've been to Lincoln (never been to the university, so cannot comment) but I remember it being a lovely city, surrounded by nice countryside. :)
    CathT wrote: »
    Great advice thank you Alex. I gave found another teacher who will give individual lessons and I think dd will really get along with her. Dd tells me she isnt even being observed whilst she plays.

I used to play violin but not to a high standard and only on a ceap violin! I do appreciate music though. The new tutor is part of a music school where they have concerts I think dd will enjoy.

You're most welcome, Cath. :)

I don't think you've anything to lose by trying the other teacher.

:rotfl: Not too late to take it back up. :) My wife used to play clarinet and saxophone at school. Didn't play for years but she talked about starting saxophone again, so I bought one for a wedding anniversary present. We always make time once per month to learn and play some jazz standards together.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    His choices (at the moment, all subject to change) are Lincoln, NUA (Norwich), UCA (Farnham), Worcester and possibly Staffordshire.

I know none of them are high brow or RG but he is extremely picky (as he should be) on the course content offered in what is quite a niche course, so the pool of universities is really quite small. He is also held back a little because of his GCSE results (his maths needs to be one grade higher for the really good universities). He's a typical late bloomer partly thanks to the brilliant college he is now at after an abysmal academy he previously attended who decided to ignore his statement and not provide him with the help he was supposed to get in his GCSE years plus left him languishing in the bottom set of classes with all the disruptive students because he had additional needs. It didn't matter if he showed potential, they had written him off because of his statement and the fact he had only been full time at school since he was 11 and his attendance even after that was not great due to hospital admissions.

Once he got to the college and felt comfortable, the shutters opened (he has complex autism plus other 'stuff') and he finally felt able to show exactly what he could do.....top of his year group, achieving 3 x Distinction* which is equivalent to 3 x A* at A level. He works incredibly hard to remain at the top, putting in hours and hours of work every night producing thousands of words for every task, so I get very annoyed when I see people saying that BTEC is easy, that they do no work, that it is for the failures and a 2 year doss. So far, in all his units, he has achieved Distinctions and probably killed several large trees....

It's been a complete surprise for the college, they thought at best he would be a below average to average student, with an aspirational target of 3 x Merits (equivalent to 3 x C at A level) at the start of level 3, I was never in doubt that he would fly at some point, he just needed the right setting and support.

His top two are Lincoln and NUA. Eldest will be very upset if youngest gets an offer from NUA, it was the only uni to reject him after interview and was the one he had set his heart on, of course, all that is spurring youngest on, he wants to beat his brother!

Eeek, went on a bit of a rant there! Just for balance, his infant and junior schools were amazing, never giving up on him and some outside the box thinking from the head of his junior school which meant that youngest could stay in mainstream education. His high school was also very good and he was making good progress and starting to fly until it became an academy...then it all went horribly wrong.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Sounds like your son is on track to do well, Sue. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Well, it seems everyone on here is buying Christmas presents already and I haven't even got anything organised for my son's birthday (one month away). :o I am struggling a bit at the moment, to be honest. Lots of thoughts about the past and if I'd taken this route or that rather than the ones I did. Mainly questioning if I could've changed things and prevented all the problems I have.

Financially I've done nothing productive and there is not a chance that we'll be able to make any kind of an overpayment.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • We all think from time to time (don't we ?) about what if . . . . . I had done this instead of that, or that instead of this. However I generally think the path you take is the right one, and if your not on the right road, then you steer till you get on the right road. Even if on the right road, it's not all plain sailing (?) I get some strange peculiar thoughts, like, if I had crossed the road minutes later, would I have been hit by a bus :eek:

Result is. if you didn't have all the past problems, you wouldn't be the person you are today, and from what I read, that's a good person, a good husband, a good son and a good father :A

On another note, you say you won't be able to make a o/p this month, but look on the positive side, would you be able to add £10 to your savings, making the total £9,800 (that's the zeros kicking in) :D
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • You are quite right Frayed Not, I quite frequently think that.

What is done is done and you can't change it. Draw a line, learn from it and move forward. One thing you can do is influence the future (notice I don't say control as that's impossible with outside factors kicking in from time to time).

We all have blips on the OP front - especially at costly times like birthdays and Christmas - don't worry about it.

Take care.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Morning Alex, thinking of how things might have been is human nature. We all do it - just need to keep drawing a line under it and focus on the now.

Think back to Jan/February this year and you didn't have a goal - you have saved almost £10k this year. Sounds like something to celebrate to me.

Hope you are having a brilliant half term with your family.

Best wishes Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business