LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??!

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 3 October 2016 at 11:00PM
    Thanks Tilly, the beef was lush and the LOs have just been made into 2 cottage pies. One for tomorrow and one for the freezer.

It sounds like a party MfD..but actually it was my third job! ...boarding house is what my DD2 calls it..:) I had another overseas teenager over who was on leave from his school. He was very sweet but the timing has been a little mad...OH away and me left with a full on work weekend with 4 teenagers..but you gotta laugh and the two extras paid me...my own two clearly don't measure up on that score :rotfl:

Today was a good day. Got home early (although was in at dawn).. Which made a difference to my evening. Did invoices. Made cottage pies. Cleaned kitchen twice, kids did laundry and DD1 made dinner. Charged phones in car and at work. Did a full summary of my assets and debts.. At least the former outweighs the latter but gawd it's hard seeing the mortgage, tax bills etc. A sombre but necessary exercise in transparency.

Laptop playing up again. It's an Apple so should be solid. Have sent a What's App to OH asking what he did last time to kick it into life, otherwise it's an expensive repair job I guess...

Reading Recovering Spender has been good. Quite American but a few hints/nudges which I plan to use.

Left lunch at home..doh...so had to buy one. Oh well it happens I guess.

Hope everyone's start to the week was bearable

Xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 5 October 2016 at 10:00PM
    Had to dole out dinner money for girls on Monday but yesterday was a NSD. Whoop! Today need to buy some basil for tea. Should try and grow it again, but rarely manage to keep it alive in my house. Won't be a NSD but v small spend.

Have put 2 items aside for the CS so I am at least on the board for that target

Very busy in RL but all good. Hope everyone is well

Brizzle xx
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    We fed our lodger organic roast chicken pieces and a scrummy watercress, tahini quinoa salad today..he loved the chicken..but believe he will take more time to get used to quinoa ;)
    You are doing great with the decluttering and there are some seriously lovely meals happening at your house. Lucky lodger ;)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I still think it's quite awe inspiring how much you get done! Your daughters sound lovely and a great help to you.

You mention The Recovering Spender - I'm intrigued - is it a book or a blog?
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 8 October 2016 at 7:55AM
    Thanks guys for your support...

A nice end to the week as I have just been able to focus on domestic stuff and not juggling paid work as well..

- have listed some items on EBay. What do people think about posting overseas? Maybe I will just get a RM price, but I am always nervous.
    - meal planning is still working really well. Need to do next week now using the freezer as much as possible. I do it a week at a time.
    - my pension came through really quickly. Amazed. And have invested it again, and made my first real foray into shares! Blimey. Feels like quite a step. Have invested some in a well known retail consumer brand, partly cos it's run well I think (and by a woman) and also made sure I have enough for a few freebies, which will be nice, to get a shareholder's discount card. I also topped up some bank shares..which promptly plummeted...so you can guess who that was yesterday :eek: Oh well, it's for the long term!
    - making TTs calmly and regularly and YNAB is going well. Will have a spendy afternoon today as DD2 needs an outfit for a one off event. We left it too late so can't do EBay..but will try and keep the spend in resistance bounds.
    - no 5:2 this week...must try harder.
    - some bus dev done....and planning more next week, have some meetings set up for that purpose, so that's a start..talking to people about different opportunities...funny that :rotfl:
    - hens still laying well, and I am enjoying the weather. All the washing is still being pegged out which is great.woodburner lit yesterday though and heating has been on a bit as lodger was feeling ill and had the start of a cold.

Will update more frequently over the weekend, have a great weekend folks

Brizzle xx
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 8 October 2016 at 8:02AM
    I still think it's quite awe inspiring how much you get done! Your daughters sound lovely and a great help to you.

You mention The Recovering Spender - I'm intrigued - is it a book or a blog?

Thank SSG..It's a book although she has a website too...haven't read the latter but may do so if I get a chance this weekend. Book is pretty basic for most MSE folks I'd say...but the idea of always being tempted to spend (she operates a 12 step process to recovery :p) is probably more like me than I would care to admit sometimes. That my spending should be fitting with my values I totally get and that was from years ago with Your Money or Your Life, the seminal book by Dominguez/Robins.

Some ideas like keeping my emergency stash in a separate bank I may try. Not new but hadn't quite resonated with me before. She was also brutal with her grocery bill. Almost evangelical fervour about not overspending...which was a clear message to me. As I tend to be very relaxed on such things.....:o:( :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Have a fantastic weekend brizzled xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well brizzle I've made a naughty spend and downloaded the Recovering Spender book from Kindle - £4.99 but I feel that it will be well worth it! My seminal debt busting book is The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. He is also very evangelical - both in his outlook on money and his religion, but he doesn't push his religion down your throat. I still try and follow his rules but have adapted it a bit for me - e.g. he is totally against any form of credit card, only debit cards and cash rule in his world, but I have found these immensely useful for balance transfers and now for cash back. Still he talks a great deal of sense and I also listen to him online now and again - he really makes me laugh sometimes!

Have an enjoyable weekend!:)
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 October 2016 at 10:13AM
    Hi all :wave:

Good weekend really...missing OH...but all good. It was a spendy day in town yesterday but DD2 will look classy and fab. We also went out to Carluccios for dinner...good food and great service. Do like those places and didn't spend a fortune. I had the set menu and kids only wanted starters.

So today...finding it hard to kick on today but writing a list always helps:

- read MSE diaries and get myself in a good frugal MSE mind for week ahead
    - double check will have funds next week to do the money shuffle
    - meal plan for the week ahead
    - do chicken dinner today, and freeze LO's for risotto later and make banana cake (latter with knackered bananas)
    - SWIFTLY check work diary..don't linger too long...
    - find 5 things to sell/declutter
    - drag some more clothes from bottom of drawer/back of wardrobe to wear in upcoming weeks to help me stop any urge to splurge
    - check when DD2 starts the paper round
    - ADDITION: quick run, 2 rounds of the block maybe
    - ADDITION: check euro stash for next hols as don't want to change any..Xchange rate and all that...will I have stashed away enough???

Think that's it for now...have a great weekend

Xx
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,730 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    All sounds very busy.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport