UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Comments

• albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Yes I understand your enthusiasm, I have an 8.5 kW system, was fitted in oct 08 so have benefitted from very efficient heating and HW even through the coldest of temps -6.7 a few times, and many sub zero days. has performed very well.
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    albyota wrote: »
    Yes I understand your enthusiasm, I have an 8.5 kW system, was fitted in oct 08 so have benefitted from very efficient heating and HW even through the coldest of temps -6.7 a few times, and many sub zero days. has performed very well.

What size house is your 8.5KW unit heating?

It will be interesting to see how cheap my hot water is in the Summer. I will set the unit to run for just an hour or two in the middle of the day in the Summer. I am guessing I will be paying pence per day for Hot Water when the outside temps are high?
  • albyota
    four bed Det, approx 200 m2 All UFH & 210 L Cylinder, family of 5 (3 x wasn't me, Teens)
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • Andy_WSM
    albyota wrote: »
    four bed Det, approx 200 m2 All UFH & 210 L Cylinder, family of 5 (3 x wasn't me, Teens)

Wow! Makes my 5KW look overkill!

Very impressive.
  • albyota
    we live in a village, no gas,ripped out 2 yr old oil boiler last sept, installed ASHPB, so total electric now.

• Andy_WSM
    Have you seen this guy looking for feedback: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1544103 ?
  • albyota
    Yes I noticed so here is a previous post I have cut & pasted to save typing again!

the system I have has developed from a self build I have not quite finished....one day hey..I originally fitted a very efficient oil condensing boiler, which ran very well for two years until the price of oil went up vastly in july / august last year and made the decision to take it out and replace with the ASHP. it was installed at the end of October... I had £700 saved for buying oil as that was the amount we used last winter for aprox 180 days..just for heating and hot water mind... as previously posted my electric bill for nov 6 to jan 25 was for £343...which is for the whole electric useage and roughly £185 of that is for the heating / hot water.. I have meter readings captured daily, and also the outdoor min / max temps.

• samtheman1k
    samtheman1k Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Andy, I have an ASHP, a 9kW Mitsubishi, and it generates an enormous amount of cold air, is your attic vented/ducted at all? We installed our ASHP in the conservatory temporarily at first, by using the same logic of it normally being warmer than outside, and the temperature in there rapidly dropped below the outside temperature due to all the cold air being generated. I just can't understand how you can put a system who's net air temperature is negative in effectively an almost closed box and not see a temperature drop?
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Andy has pointed out that his loft space covers the roof of the bungalow he lives in, it is ventilated the same as any other loft with a couple of roof vents.

I checked out the link in his post and the manufacturer does state that its suitable to place in a loft as long as there is enough air flow!

Madness but it seems to be working for him. However im sure not suitable for all applications!
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • samtheman1k
    samtheman1k Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, but what is 'enough air flow'? I wouldn't of thought a few air vents would be enough. Surely you'd need at least a cross section of vents equivalent to twice the cross section of the exhaust of the HP?

Even so, it will lower the temperature in your loft, causing a greater temperature difference between the loft and the house, causing more heat loss though the ceiling.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback