Broadband provider can't provide a proper service: advice on switching

Options
For a few months now, my broadband has had problems. It is not unusable and the online speed test comes up as normal but it has caused lots of issues such as failure to connect to broadband, significant lag in online gaming, and other issues.

I've phoned them up and besides a few troubleshooting steps they've said there is nothing else they can do. I'm considering switching but I'm in the middle of a contract.

I've looked up which? consumer rights, which tell me that if they can't provide a service, I don't have to pay a cancellation fee, and according to their advice this is what I will do:

1. Give the company multiple opportunities to solve the issue including doing all the troubleshooting steps.
2. Inform the company that if they fail to resolve the issue I will be terminating the contract because they've broken the terms by providing an inadequate service, and that they can't charge me a cancellation fee by law.
3. If they try to charge me I will get the credit card company to do a chargeback.

Is this an appropriate course of action to take? Does anyone have any further advice or think I should do anything differently?

Thank you.

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You admit that the service is not unusable , and speed tests come up normal, so if you switch within the minimum term they will apply early termination charges.
    I would think as well as giving them chance to rectify any problem (that may not even exist, your broadband may be as good as it can be) you would also have to get them to accept that there is a problem and they have failed to rectify it within a reasonable time frame ,then they may agree to release you penalty free.
    I doubt you can just unilaterally decide they have 'failed' and it's your choice to move without penalty
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My suggestion would be to look into ways that you can monitor and log the line performance somehow.

If you can show clear evidence that the line is faulty, then your ISP should send a BT Openreach engineer to fix the problem.

I was getting random intermittent drop-outs, often for a few seconds, sometimes for a few minutes. By the time I could speak to someone at the ISP the connection was working and they weren't interested. So I wrote a batch script to log internet connectivity, the results of which convinced them to send out a BT Openreach engineer to fix the problem.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is this by any chance a Wifi connection ??
  • GreatBritain
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    You admit that the service is not unusable , and speed tests come up normal, so if you switch within the minimum term they will apply early termination charges.
    I would think as well as giving them chance to rectify any problem (that may not even exist, your broadband may be as good as it can be) you would also have to get them to accept that there is a problem and they have failed to rectify it within a reasonable time frame ,then they may agree to release you penalty free.
    I doubt you can just unilaterally decide they have 'failed' and it's your choice to move without penalty
    Yes but the thing is, my online gameplay is extremely laggy. When I disconnect all other devices from the broadband it improves a little bit. The tests are showing up as normal but there is something wrong. Other problems include having to click connect multiple times before the device actually connects, and not enough internet strength to upload and download stuff from the cloud.

My broadband is clearly not as good as it can be because I didn't have these problems a few months ago.

You say they will apply the early termination charge, but that's why I said I will inform them that as they've done nothing to rectify the issue, I will be leaving and they have no right to charge me. If they still try and charge me, I will phone up my bank and have the bank do a chargeback to prevent them charging me.

My question here is do you think the course of action I described is appropriate?
    1. Give them every opportunity to fix the issue
    2. Inform them I will be leaving and they have no right to charge me.
    3. Do a chargeback if they try to charge me.
  • GreatBritain
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to look into ways that you can monitor and log the line performance somehow.

If you can show clear evidence that the line is faulty, then your ISP should send a BT Openreach engineer to fix the problem.

I was getting random intermittent drop-outs, often for a few seconds, sometimes for a few minutes. By the time I could speak to someone at the ISP the connection was working and they weren't interested. So I wrote a batch script to log internet connectivity, the results of which convinced them to send out a BT Openreach engineer to fix the problem.
    Unfortunately I'm not very knowledgeable in these matters, so I wouldn't know where to start.
  • GreatBritain
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Is this by any chance a Wifi connection ??
    Yes it's wifi
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 26 May 2018 at 1:20PM
    Options
    Yes it's wifi

No provider guarantees WiFi speed. There are just too many variables outside their control.

What are the speeds like with a wired connection?

You say the speeds are 'normal' so if by this you mean that they are providing the speed they told you they would, then you have no grounds for a chargeback. It seems they are providing a service (by your own admission).
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 May 2018 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Yes it's wifi

Then it can be you or your equipment as well as the supplier .
    Really needs you to test over Ethernet cable connection .
    Have you changed wifi channels ??

Bank will not charge back just on your say so .
    If your ISP has a users forum its often the way to get better CS help .

> That would require an engineers visit and if its your fault its chargeable .If its your equipment ISP is not at fault .

Your post reads as ISP probably not at fault so don't go down the cancel route .
  • GreatBritain
    GreatBritain Posts: 69 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    No provider guarantees WiFi speed. There are just too many variables outside their control.

What are the speeds like with a wired connection?

You say the speeds are 'normal' so if by this you mean that they are providing the speed they told you they would, then you have no grounds for a chargeback. It seems they are providing a service (by your own admission).
    The same happens when using an ethernet cable. They are not providing an adequate service because of all these issues. This isn't about whether or not they are providing an acceptable service; they aren't. The issue here is once I've given them every chance and opportunity to fix the issue, is this plan good?
  • GreatBritain
    GreatBritain Posts: 69 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Then it can be you or your equipment as well as the supplier .
    Really needs you to test over Ethernet cable connection .
    Have you changed wifi channels ??

Bank will not charge back just on your say so .
    If your ISP has a users forum its often the way to get better CS help .

> That would require an engineers visit and if its your fault its chargeable .If its your equipment ISP is not at fault .

Your post reads as ISP probably not at fault so don't go down the cancel route .

Yes I used an ethernet cable, and they say they won't send an engineer for this. I don't know what you mean by 'Your post reads as ISP probably not at fault so don't go down the cancel route'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure